Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel1992)
    i seriously recommend to atleast get atleast 2 hours, becuase you will be able to answer the applied questions more
    lol fudge the applied questions, even with sleep I don't understand what they're talking about:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jin3011)
    Anyone doing an all nighter?
    If I don't fall asleep then prob around 4 hours should be enough for me .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohright)
    I know yeah, it makes me sad, haha. I really don't want it to be on polymers but the majority of my friends do?! I'd be ok with the impact of bacteria on humans.. I guess
    Polymers? I have no idea how you'd asnwer that in an essay. Hopefully it'll be on cycles because I'm alright with them, or at least something that would include some of the unit 4 respiration/photosynthesis knowledge because I can actually write about those things. No idea though. I hate the disease stuff, so hopefully nothing on bacteria or else I'm screwed.
    Me! I think I'll go to bed at like 4am, wake up at 6:30 and get ready for college. Never pulled an all-nighter before. I'm not sure how I'll do it either cus I can't drink any coffee or stuff like that, saddest life.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me and others last minute tips for this exam in terms of exam technique???

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone work out how well I need to do on this exam.
    I am taking a gap year and resitting modules to improve my grades. I need a B in Biology and I'm 6 ums marks away.

So far I have (in ums marks):
    Unit 1: 70/100 B
    Unit 2: 98/140 B
    Unit 3: 44/60 B
    Unit 4: 85/100 A
    Unit 5: 79/140 D - resitting. got 6/25 on my essay.
    Unit 6: 38/60 - C - retook the isa and got a B (not sure what mark)

Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    One or HALF (depending on ur BMI ) vodka shot before the Bio exam = WIN

Not a big deal. It helps A LOT.

You dont get nervous
    Remember all YOU have revised
    write more than they need in HSW Qs.
    Your essay will look outstanding.

I recommend.

ReputationRep:
    I hope the synoptic question is on carbohydrates, its like the only one I can do

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd be at an advantage with the synoptic essay as I had to retake both Units 2 and 4, but for some reason I can't for the life of me remember anything from those units in detail, despite only doing them a week or 2 ago.

...therefore I have come to the conclusion that I am completely and utterly screwed.

ReputationRep:
    Are receptors in synapses like ones in Na ion channels proteins?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CathMo)
    Can anyone work out how well I need to do on this exam.
    I am taking a gap year and resitting modules to improve my grades. I need a B in Biology and I'm 6 ums marks away.

So far I have (in ums marks):
    Unit 1: 70/100
    Unit 2: 98/140
    Unit 3: 44/60
    Unit 4: 85/100
    Unit 5: 79/140 - resitting. got 6/25 on my essay.
    Unit 6: 38/60 - retook the isa and got a B (not sure what mark)

Any suggestions?
    About 77-88 ums I think to get a B.

ReputationRep:
    :itsme:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahTM)
    :itsme:
    :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    till 12.30 - then sleep time (yay exams don't exist for 7 hours!!)

ReputationRep:
    About 77-88 ums I think to get a B.
    Well I already have 79.
    Could I do really badly on the essay but alright on the paper and still do okay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramin Gorji)
    Can anyone give me and others last minute tips for this exam in terms of exam technique???
    Read the questions properly. - You don't understand how easy it is to lose marks because of this. Don't jump to conclusion until you've read the whole question.

Use as many scientific keywords as you can. - In Biology surprisingly most of the marks are awarded for using keywords even if you have no idea what a process is you can still score marks just by putting some relevant keywords in if you can remember them. I often put them in brackets after a process or in bullet points if I forget to include them whilst writing an answer.

Don't waste time repeating the question.

If it's a 2 mark question just bullet point 2 or more things for it you think are likely to get you marks and remember key terms! You can't be penalised for putting down more points than are available but just remember not to waste too much time. As long as it specifically does not say list TWO or THREE write as many down as you can think of.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biologyman)
    Read the questions properly. - You don't understand how easy it is to lose marks because of this. Don't jump to conclusion until you've read the whole question.

Use as many scientific keywords as you can. - In Biology surprisingly most of the marks are awarded for using keywords even if you have no idea what a process is you can still score marks just by putting some relevant keywords in if you can remember them. I often put them in brackets after a process or in bullet points if I forget to include them whilst writing an answer.

Don't waste time repeating the question.

If it's a 2 mark question just bullet point 2 or more things for it you think are likely to get you marks and remember key terms! You can't be penalised for putting down more points than are available but just remember not to waste too much time. As long as it specifically does not say list TWO or THREE write as many down as you can think of.

Good luck
    Thank you so much, kind of put my mind in a more optimistic mood now

Good luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CathMo)
    Well I already have 79.
    Could I do really badly on the essay but alright on the paper and still do okay?
    Possibly yh, depending on the grade boundaries though.

ReputationRep:
    :ahee:
    Bring on the caffeine

ReputationRep:
    If an essay comes u on cell structure/adaptation - I've got Red Blood cells, Neurone, Muscles, Xylem, Root hairs, Sperm, Rods/Cones.

Any obvious ones I missed out?

ReputationRep:
    Possibly yh, depending on the grade boundaries though.
    Hmm okay thanks.
    I feel I could write well about this unit, but not in depth at all about the other ones.
    I managed to get 0 out of 16 for scientific content last year. Do not want that to happen again.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.