Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jin3011)
    G'Luck. I'm just panicking over the essay for some reason.
    This has been posted multiple times but in case you missed it, http://www.studentcreche.co.uk/biolo...dentcreche.pdf

Until 10 minutes ago I was panicing about the essay too, but this is brilliant! Hope it helps! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry_cake)
    Can someone please tell me, in muscle contraction, when actin myosin cross bridges form, is ATP already attached to myosin or is ADP and Pi attached? I'm really confused
    When the cross-bride forms the ADP molecule is still attached, when the myosin head changes its angle and pulls the actin filament further along, then the ADP is released. Then ATP attaches to the myosin head to detach it from the actin filament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pip91uk)
    This has been posted multiple times but in case you missed it, http://www.studentcreche.co.uk/biolo...dentcreche.pdf

Until 10 minutes ago I was panicing about the essay too, but this is brilliant! Hope it helps! Good luck
    No I didn't miss it, I've already seen it a few weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    stressed out!!! this essay better be on a easy topic!!!! cumon PROTEINS!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dee009)
    stressed out!!! this essay better be on a easy topic!!!! cumon PROTEINS!!!!!!!
    Yeah I'm really hoping it's about proteins but considering the way the essays are constructed most of the essay will be about the structure of the protein, monomers, peptide bonds, hydrolysis, condensation,the different types e.g. globular/fibrous, then you got primary, secondary, tertiary, quaternary, how it is constructed from amino acids, the principle of a enzyme lock & key, induced fit, and then a little bit about its purpose in the organism, e.g. enzymes, receptors, protein channels, antibodies, perhaps include example of neurotransmitter, binding to post-synaptic neurone receptor and then being hydrolysed by acetyl-cholinesterase. electron chain transport, rubisco, loads of stuff about amino acid structure, digestion and perhaps DNA replication.

Just to be sure I'm revising proteins and carbohydrates.

ReputationRep:
    Ill be happy if carbo's and proteins come up since i resat unit 1 last month so its all kinda still fresh in my head. ;D
    Aint bothered revising it again tbh, i might flick through my AS textbook for 20 minutes in a bit but thats it.

Scared for the essay, i dont know what i'll do if theyre both something i havnt got a clue about. O.o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby :))
    Ill be happy if carbo's and proteins come up since i resat unit 1 last month so its all kinda still fresh in my head. ;D
    Aint bothered revising it again tbh, i might flick through my AS textbook for 20 minutes in a bit but thats it.

Scared for the essay, i dont know what i'll do if theyre both something i havnt got a clue about. O.o
    Worst part is that there's only 1 past paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    Worst part is that there's only 1 past paper.
    AHHHHHH

and the panicking begins to set in.
    ive done so much revision but still feel so unprepared. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingsmod1)
    i dont undesrtand the point of the sanger method by adding terminator nulceotides, i know it stops process but what is the point????

Many thanks :P
    to work out the sequence of nucleotides in the particular gene that you're trying to locate, before you can make a specific probe to identify that gene.

ReputationRep:
    ahh good luck all of you! I feel prepared but of course pre-exam nerves are getting the better of me. Please AQA, be nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiskeyinthejar)
    ahh good luck all of you! I feel prepared but of course pre-exam nerves are getting the better of me. Please AQA, be nice!
    Good luck, I don't feel prepared at all, forgot about everything overnight!

I'm screwed...

ReputationRep:
    Lol I tried to get 10 hours sleep, ended up rolling around for 3 hours and only got 7. This exam scares the crap out of me.

ReputationRep:
    Wanted to do an all-night revision session, but ended up falling asleep by midnight. Well, good luck everyone...

ReputationRep:
    I think the length of the exam and the fact that there's a 25 mark question at the end is making me more nervous, my long term memory is actually pathetic...

more of a crammer :P

ReputationRep:
    guys last Q bout cycle, it says progesterone only inhibits fsh and lh
    oestrogen also inhibits fsh and lh
    thats right yh???????

ReputationRep:
    omg the oestrus cycle .... i find it so hard to remember what inhibits what.
    just hoping there isnt a quetion.

LH produces Progesterone... P inhibits LH?

FSH produces corpus luteums which produce oestrogen... which inhibits FSH.

wooop!! actually remembered it 8-)

ReputationRep:
    thats right yh???????
    Progesterone inhibits LH and FSH. I thought oestrogen just inhibited FSH, but then at high concentrations stimulates FSH and LH release.

ReputationRep:
    thats right yh???????
    Remember that the amount of oestrogen secreted initially has an inhibitory effect on FSH and LH, but as the level of oestrogen rises, it actually stimaulates a surge in FSH / LH ----> this surge brings about ovulation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby :))
    omg the oestrus cycle .... i find it so hard to remember what inhibits what.
    just hoping there isnt a quetion.

LH produces Progesterone... P inhibits LH?

FSH produces corpus luteums which produce oestrogen... which inhibits FSH.

wooop!! actually remembered it 8-)
    so progestone and oestrogen both inhibit fsh and lh ????????

ReputationRep:
    so progestone and oestrogen both inhibit fsh and lh ????????
    fsh does not stimulate corupus luteum. CL is generated by LH and it forms only when a follicle develops and and egg is fertilised, which then inhibits LH and FSH and progesterone is produced to maintain the lining of the uterus for the egg.
    if egg isnt fertilised then the corpus luteum degenerates and LH is not inhibited.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.