Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_rocks)
    i put 2 in the box as well, coz one of the cuts was in the plasmid itself right??
    Yeah same but it still makes me no sense!
    How can one enzyme split a circular plasmid into two fragments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamest92)
    I thought it was because the unknown DNA had a restriction site which is why it was cut there as well as the site in the plasmid
    I think i said that in the question where it went 'what does it show about the dna'

and i went oh it must have another restriction site in it for it to make 2 strands

ReputationRep:
    I loved this exam! what a broad essay title! and the questions were very related to the spec and past papers. it was a beaut

ReputationRep:
    OMG I HATED THE PAPER. Either it was bad or i'm just stupid I didn't want to do the DNA essay cause my DNA stuff was all muddled up, I did cycles instead, but I only did 3. I hope it's alright though

I got 5:1 for my ratio, Did anyone else get that?
    and i got 100% 0% 0% idk why, i just did. AHHH. That paper felt like a unit 4 paper, it was all about application which is what it's supposed to be but still! I thought there'd at least be a few things that were straightforward.

I think i'm just dumb in biology then,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamest92)
    I thought it was because the unknown DNA had a restriction site which is why it was cut there as well as the site in the plasmid
    OH.
    Maybe I didnt read it properly
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyce996)
    OMG I HATED THE PAPER. Either it was bad or i'm just stupid I didn't want to do the DNA essay cause my DNA stuff was all muddled up, I did cycles instead, but I only did 3. I hope it's alright though

I got 5:1 for my ratio, Did anyone else get that?
    and i got 100% 0% 0% idk why, i just did. AHHH. That paper felt like a unit 4 paper, it was all about application which is what it's supposed to be but still! I thought there'd at least be a few things that were straightforward.

I think i'm just dumb in biology then,
    don't worry i did 3 too, we'll just lose breadth of knowledge marks but that will be all fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else find the exam harder than June 10?

ReputationRep:
    Yep harder than June 10 definitely!

ReputationRep:
    I messed that up. Missed out an entire question. just drew a total blank. And reallly dumbed down my essay.
    Did the cycles one and wrote about:
    Carbon cycle
    Nitrogen cycle
    Mestural cycle
    Krebs cycle
    Calvin cycle
    And a little bit on the polymerase chain reaction

Thought the paper was fair though. No real nasty questions. Just wished I'd revised DNA technology a little more.
    I'm feeling a D. C if I'm lucky. A little down about it.

ReputationRep:
    found this solid
    I cant believe it in comparison to june 2010, which i thought was a fairly decent paper I thought this one was horrible!!
    I just pray grade boundarise are super low - no one has said it was easy
    IN june 2010 the grade boundaries were as follows:
    A*- 69
    A - 62
    B - 55
    C - 49
    D - 43
    E - 37

This year I reckon
    A* - 64
    A - 57
    B - 50
    C- 44
    D - 38
    E - 32
    anyone agree?? too harsh?? to nice ????? xxx

ReputationRep:
    essay titles were okay, but there was nothing on receptors, muscle contraction, action potential and all that, would've loved a question on that.. pretty poo paper really :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NRican)
    Anyone else find the exam harder than June 10?
    yep.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was alright, but I ran out of time half-way through my essay which really annoyed me. The restriction enzyme question was the only one I really struggled with.

ReputationRep:
    i feel the problem with this paper is that u can get the gist of what the question is answering u and can write a fairly good answer, but i just think the mark scheme will be really selective as to which answers are awarded credit or not so you lose marks on the basis of not writing exactly what the mark scheme says despite showing that you understand the concept of the question

ReputationRep:
    The questions were hard and some places tricky. What the hell was the restriction mapping thing on about the restriction sites were not even on the dna???

ReputationRep:
    essay was good though did dna technology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woods.vanessa)
    Yeah same but it still makes me no sense!
    How can one enzyme split a circular plasmid into two fragments
    Cut it twice? :P

O whole
    (_) one cut
    ( ) 2 cuts?

So yeah it showed the plasmid would be cut once leaving (_) so if 2 fragments were produced, the unknown DNA must have contained the recognition sequence for the restriction enzyme to cut again, hence ( ) formed.

ReputationRep:
    Question 2: What does "very large" represent?

Answer????/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_rocks)
    will i still be able to get a good essay mark with 3 well described points on the cycle one?? ran out of time but don't wanna kid myself here guys, don't think the examiner is gonna be best pleased ahhahahaha. pupa one was weird, for the reason there was a descrease in RNA did people write that there was a less transcription of the genes coding for proteins in pupa tissue as it was being broken down to release the amino acids to form adult tissue? and then for the increase in RNA did people just write that there was an increase in transcription of the genes coding for adult tissues??
    Same! i spent 40mins on the essay, like it said on the front, I really needed the other time on the questions anyway because I'm always incredibly slow. I did the cycle one and wrote about the oestrous, the carbon - including photosynthesis in there with the calvin cycle, the cell cycle and the nitrogen cycle. i feel like i could have written so much more! i kind of just listed all the other cycles at the end saying how many there are and it means that they are important to life or something - don't know if I'll get marks for that though!

Also i wrote exactly that for that pupa question

ReputationRep:
    Did nobody do the DNA essay? i thought that was a beaut! made up for the stupid questions on this essay that hardly related to this unit!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.