Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5mattcolour)
    Me neither
    Or me - it was like cryptic or something.

What did people put for the one which asked how many times the the BindII or whatever it was called cut the unknown DNA? I put zero because in the first diagram it didn't cut it at all so i thought why would it in a different plasmid? (If I've remembered the question right) Have i made a horrendously stupid mistake?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma2010)
    69 for an A*? I though you had to get like 90/100 :O
    Don't think it is possible for a normal person. I don't even think teachers can get 85+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llamalad200)
    what the was that one about hormones? it was worded really strangely and it confused me. like it said describe how hormones affect differently? it was something like that. what did people write?

what the hell?! siRNA?! the smallest little chunk of the entire chapter 16 and there was a whole question on it! damn it!
    And chemical mediators and auxins. Luckily for me I was talking to a friend yesterday and said I hope those 3 don't come up, which led me to actually memorise what they all were, if I hadn't I coulda been screwed up a bit. But it did actually tell you a fair bit about siRNA in the question so shouldn't have been too bad

ReputationRep:
    69 for an A*? I though you had to get like 90/100 :O
    these are raw marks
    you need 90% ums for a*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieCroc)

What did people put for the one which asked how many times the the BindII or whatever it was called cut the unknown DNA? I put zero because in the first diagram it didn't cut it at all so i thought why would it in a different plasmid? (If I've remembered the question right) Have i made a horrendously stupid mistake?
    I just saw the question and skipped the entire thing. Didn't have a clue about it! My brain just couldn't remember that section

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I realised there was nothing for the whole first module in the revision book - what you mentioned and responses in animals and plants (though I guess there was a bit for the plant)

They did do a synapse type thing though
    yeah that's true, just a two marker though i think :/ .. june 2010 would've been a much better paper for me, not so much the essay questions in that though, ah well you can't have everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_rocks)
    i didn't get 5:1, was gonna but that but i thought u wud need a few leaves for max growth so but 2.5:1 so that leaves and plantlets would be produced.. oo wellllll
    I GOT THAT TOO
    we are right i think - leaves and plantlets = 'pupaya plants'
    so i don't see how we are in the wrong

ReputationRep:

2 I put. From what I remember the vector it showed you was cut once by the enzyme. Then it said 3 fragments formed, so the unknown piece of DNA must have been cut 2 times to create the 3 fragments from the straight piece of DNA (straight after the plasmid had been cut once already).

ReputationRep:
    I wrote 1:5 WTH.

ReputationRep:
    well i'm haqppy enough with what i wrote, hopefully the examiners will be too but i'm free from the grasp of a levels now, no more exams so i'm going to relax and watch tv which i really miss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheekymon999)
    Did nobody do the DNA essay? i thought that was a beaut! made up for the stupid questions on this essay that hardly related to this unit!
    I did this essay. It was beautiful!
    Got topics from all the units, especially unit 5, and got in some extra stuff on genetic screening using amniotic fluid and forensics!

The paper itself was a bit sly though tbh, I have no indication of how well I've done!

ReputationRep:
    what did u guys put for the one which was like what does the small fragment and the large fragment show about the unknown DNA? i put that the sequence of bases of the restriction site in the unknown dna were found near the end of the DNA molecule closest to the other cuts in the plasmid, but i don't think i worded it very well

ReputationRep:
    Do you think they will mark me down for writing (After my essay) heres all i know about the stuff you didnt question us on and wrote out pages and pages from the book?? hmm!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flux_Pav)
    I GOT THAT TOO
    we are right i think - leaves and plantlets = 'pupaya plants'
    so i don't see how we are in the wrong
    It said under the table "Plantlets = Plants, and Callus = Undifferentiated Cells" or something. So when it asked for Papaya "Plants" I assumed it was looking for simply Plantlets, also Plantlets + leaves came up multiple times which gave different ratio's if I remember. The only one that could have 1 defined ratio was the 50:10, 5:1 one.

So, not sure what they were after but I went 5:1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_rocks)
    what did u guys put for the one which was like what does the small fragment and the large fragment show about the unknown DNA? i put that the sequence of bases of the restriction site in the unknown dna were found near the end of the DNA molecule closest to the other cuts in the plasmid, but i don't think i worded it very well
    I facepalmed and skipped the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janet9)
    Where the HELL was action potentials?! I'm MAD!!!!

So bloody glad that exam's over, I didn't finish the synoptic essay (I chose the DNA one), everything else was pretty much okay. I'm just glad it's over, I don't really want to discuss it - just moving forward for Chemistry now!
    You did the DNA one, why?

ReputationRep:

i put 2 because it was in three fragments. if you cut a line twice you have 3 smaller lines. that was my logic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jendra9311)
    i thought the exam was ok actually. none of the stuff i couldnt get (action potentials, muscle movements etc) came up.

i did the "dna in science and technology" essay but i didnt have time to write much. ah well i wrote a plan and if you dont get max marks in the essay they check your plan to see i f they can award you extra marks there.

still, i know 2 1/4 hours is a long exam but i could have done with 2 1/2 hours
    heyy...

i did the DNA essay too..wrote about 5 and a half sides..

what did you write in your plan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura-Robbie)
    well i'm haqppy enough with what i wrote, hopefully the examiners will be too but i'm free from the grasp of a levels now, no more exams so i'm going to relax and watch tv which i really miss
    aw, haha, watch the apprentice tonight!!

ReputationRep:
    I also wrote about Jeremy kyle in the essay, win!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.