The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

It was 1 for the cutting dna question iirc as 2 recognition sites were known on the plasmid but the other wasn't, it asked how many recognition sites the unknown dna had.
Reply 2501
Original post by BackDoorEntry
I also wrote about Jeremy kyle in the essay, win!

Nice, definitely outside the spec! :biggrin:

I wrote about HCG in the menstural cycle for the cycles essay, would that be outside spec?
Original post by my_username_rocks
aw, haha, watch the apprentice tonight!! :wink:

THE APPRENTICE! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: D :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Major love for it :biggrin:
I haven't watched TV all week... Revision sucks :frown:
Especially if I don't get A's :'D
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by M | k e
2 I put. From what I remember the vector it showed you was cut once by the enzyme. Then it said 3 fragments formed, so the unknown piece of DNA must have been cut 2 times to create the 3 fragments from the straight piece of DNA (straight after the plasmid had been cut once already).

Awww man is that what they meant? So the first diagram hadn't shown full digestion? i dunno, i hate these exams... at least it was only one mark :smile:
Original post by TlanTlan
It was 1 for the cutting dna question iirc as 2 recognition sites were known on the plasmid but the other wasn't, it asked how many recognition sites the unknown dna had.

it would have been 1 if it was a single strand of DNA i.e. not circular as 2 sites would produce 3 fragments in that case. but it was circular i.e. 1 cut would produce 1 fragment, 2 would produce 2 etc. so i think it was 2 in the box as 1 of the sites came from the plasmid.
i got 5:1!
Original post by jendra9311
Ribose!!!
:facepalm:
I put sugar

i put hexose sugar!!! why didnt i put ribose!!
Reply 2507
i got 5:1..

but i got 93 0 0 for the percentage one..

not too sure about that.

anyone else do the DNA essay?

what did you put in the plan and then write about?
Original post by my_username_rocks
it would have been 1 if it was a single strand of DNA i.e. not circular as 2 sites would produce 3 fragments in that case. but it was circular i.e. 1 cut would produce 1 fragment, 2 would produce 2 etc. so i think it was 2 in the box as 1 of the sites came from the plasmid.

1 strand on unknown DNA, 2 known on the plasmid, thus 3 fragments formed. It asked how many recognition sites were on the unknown dna.
The plasmid question about what it represents. I WAS LIKE WTF I'M SO CONFUSED
Reply 2510
Hmm, I thought that was okish. Could have gone a lot worse!! I am a teensy bit annoyed that nothing on action potentials or refractory periods came up because I loved that stuff :frown: I guessed quite a few of the pupa questions, but at least there were no Spanish wolves on this one.
The essays were decent. I did the cycles one...nitrogen, carbon, calvin, krebs, oestrus, ADP to ATP + phosphate and back, and then touched on cell cycle and negative feedback loops. I tried to make sure I linked in with what it said about the product being used in the next cycle :/
Hopefully it will be enough to get the A* I want so bad!!
Original post by BackDoorEntry
I also wrote about Jeremy kyle in the essay, win!

Haha I was gonna write about paternity testing and remembered him too, though I didn't mention him lol. :p:
Reply 2512
Original post by CharlieCroc
Awww man is that what they meant? So the first diagram hadn't shown full digestion? i dunno, i hate these exams... at least it was only one mark :smile:

Sorta yeah the DNA strand in the plasmid was unknown, so there might have or might not have been cut sites there. The question was basically just working it out :tongue:

Yeah only 1 mark no biggie :biggrin:
Reply 2513
Would mentioning the hormone HCG within the menstural cycle in the cycle essay be enough for an outside spec mark?
Reply 2514
What the hell was up with that iguana??? :frown: :angry:
it trolled us!
Reply 2515
some people from my college are doing this exam in the afternoon
as they have 3 exams today
Original post by TlanTlan
1 strand on unknown DNA, 2 known on the plasmid, thus 3 fragments formed. It asked how many recognition sites were on the unknown dna.

yhhh but the 2 on the plasmid were different recognition sites. didn't it ask for the number for a specific recognition site?? in which case 2. maybe i'm wrong, i'm not sure
Original post by jadenyt1
for the essay I did the DNA one but I think I misinterpreted the question, cus I just talked about uses (e.g. insulin creation, genetic fingerprinting) and didn't mention the PROCESSES (hybridization, probes, PCR).

Whatcha guys think?

It asked for uses of DNA in science and technology which is quite vague. So insulin creation and genetic fingerprinting are valid, you will be fine if you mentioned processes within your answer.

Eg, even if a small sample is obtained for genetic fingerprinting, it can be multiplied and made into a large sample by PCR... (go on to explain PCR etc).
Original post by Tericon
Would mentioning the hormone HCG within the menstural cycle in the cycle essay be enough for an outside spec mark?

Yeah should be, I don't see that mentioned anywhere on the spec :biggrin:
Reply 2519
Original post by mrt23498
You did the DNA one, why?

If something came up about the heart/lungs/cells, then I would've done it easily. I'm not good with cycles, so just did whatever I knew of unit 5 genetics for this essay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending