Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrubby)
    Also just so people know, for the question where they asked for the percentage for nervous stimulation of gastric juice the first one was 80%. I'm sure it was because for hormonal control it was at 2 and for nervous control it was at 8. So 80%. Not 100% sorry.
    Well if for hormonal control it was 2 and nervous it was 8 it would be 75%.. Because 2 goes into 8 four times. I put 75%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rickesh)
    What did everyone put for that stupid hormone question...how they target different cells or something like that? And how they travel to their target cells ??
    I said that hormones travel through the blood stream :') Only thing I could think of that relates to how the hormones could travel there..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heather04)
    I said that hormones travel through the blood stream :') Only thing I could think of that relates to how the hormones could travel there..
    I said that too....what did you say for the other question on it, why they have different target cells or something like that?

ReputationRep:
    Well if for hormonal control it was 2 and nervous it was 8 it would be 75%.. Because 2 goes into 8 four times. I put 75%
    Erm that's not really how it works. 8+2=10. 8/10x100=80%. It's the percentage of the overall gastric juice stimulated to be released by nervous stimulation.

ReputationRep:
    I said that too....what did you say for the other question on it, why they have different target cells or something like that?
    I think I left it.. It's all a bit of a blur :') Haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ally451)
    In the cycles essay when I was talking about the cell cycle I wrote about how in Synthesis stage of interphase DNA and histone protiens are replicated, then said histone proteins are associated with dna to form chromatin, and abit later said that small sections of the cytoskeletion called centrioles are used to mobolise the spindle fibres pulling apart the chromosomes during nuclear divison.

Will this be counted as outside the spec as we dont learn about the cytoskeleton, centrioles or histone proteins I dont think???
    Histone proteins, centrioles, spindle fibres, cytoskeleton = DNA section, Unit 2

ReputationRep:
    It's alright, AQA, it's not like I actually wanted to get into my uni place or anything...

My essay was actually atrocious!! I completely forgot mitosis and meiosis existed and only wrote about four cycles, which I probably got wrong anyway. *weeps*...

ReputationRep:
    whaaaaaat aaaaaaa floooooop

ReputationRep:
    It showed a plasmid they'd put DNA in I think and then used to restriction enzymes to digest it.. That was so complicated, some people in my exam left that double page blank :|
    I can't remember the question exactly but I knew the answer, just found it really hard to explain. Partial digest is when not all the DNA has been cut, so basically if you added up all the fragments from this, it would exceed the real value.

For example:

Say the total digest was: o_ _ _|_ _|_
    With the o as radioactive marker, you should see a 3 length, a 2 length and a 1 length.

However with partial digest you may see:
    o_ _ _ _ _|_
    and
    o_ _ _|_ _ _
    and
    o_ _ _|_ _|_

So you'd see on the gel, a 5 length, 1 length, 3 lengths, 2 lengths etc.

Was so hard to word in small space for 2 marks though

At least I assume that's the question you were talking about :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4089)
    5- mapping
    9- i cant even remember what it was asking?
    yep they were the worst questions for me

ReputationRep:
    same same.. added that it can only bind to complementary receptor site.

ReputationRep:
    Hormones released into blood stream from glands, and bind to target cells around the whole body. Chemical mediators are released from cells, and only affect target cells around the secreting cell, so much more localised.

ReputationRep:
    I said transmitted through blood stream and binds to receptor molecules on cell surface membranes (to release enzymes) or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M | k e)
    I can't remember the question exactly but I knew the answer, just found it really hard to explain. Partial digest is when not all the DNA has been cut, so basically if you added up all the fragments from this, it would exceed the real value.

For example:

Say the total digest was: o_ _ _|_ _|_
    With the o as radioactive marker, you should see a 3 length, a 2 length and a 1 length.

However with partial digest you may see:
    o_ _ _ _ _|_
    and
    o_ _ _|_ _ _
    and
    o_ _ _|_ _|_

So you'd see on the gel, a 5 length, 1 length, 3 lengths, 2 lengths etc.

Was so hard to word in small space for 2 marks though

At least I assume that's the question you were talking about :3

I wrote if you added up all the fragments when only partial digest had occured you would have more than the original, so maybe I've got one mark there! Haha, thanks for explaining

ReputationRep:
    No, the total number is 8+2=10

Nervous is therefore 8/10 = 80%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rananagirl)
    It's alright, AQA, it's not like I actually wanted to get into my uni place or anything...

My essay was actually atrocious!! I completely forgot mitosis and meiosis existed and only wrote about four cycles, which I probably got wrong anyway. *weeps*...
    Yeh.. don't mind us.. we're just taking these exams for banter...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SammyJ)
    Oh yeah it was like by which process does IAA move to other cells of the plant or something? I put diffusion :\ the word process made me think it was a one word answer
    It was such a cheat in the revision book it says facilitated diffusion over short distances and through the phloem over longer distances... it was 1 mark though

ReputationRep:
    whoop whoop
    i put 75% but (hate to admit this) i sat there and counted the squares... 15 for the nerve, 5 for the hormone...75%

ReputationRep:
    So glad other people found it hard too! Jun 10 was so EASY compared to this! I learnt everything in the AQA NT book, did loads of past paper questions, blaaaaaa... but this was next level!

So gutted, two years of hard work down the drain potentially... THANKS AQA. I guess it's goodbye Manchester uni, and goodbye medicine!
    :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    "large fragment"

???

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.