Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UCAS.LOVER)
    I reckon something around 75/100 for an A* what does everyone else think?
    I hope you're joking. I don't think it'll be that different from last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahlovesleon)
    really worried as i did the dna essay question, did what everyone else seems to be talking about but i thought the whole point is that its synoptic? i just did chapter 16 of unit 5, tried to talk about bases being complementary and tried to talk about proteins in protein synthesis but didn't mention anything from unit 4, only thing i mentioned from unit 2 was chromosomes ugh
    I'm pretty sure there's marks for using synoptic knowledge, I assume the breadth of knowledge marks. So I personally made sure to have at least one topic from each unit. However I did cycles, so did Cardiac unit 1, Cell Cycle unit 2, Nitrogen/Carbon/Calvin/Krebs/Photophosphoralation unit 4, menstrual/synapses/muscles from unit 5

No harm in having a large chunk of the knowledge from one paticular unit, if I'd gone for DNA one I'd of tried to get few topics from 1/2/4 and base most of it around unit 5 stuff

ReputationRep:
    i thought only essay was supposed to be synoptic!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehsponge)
    Ah that makes sense. How did I not notice that /facepalm

HEY i put 80m too because the hormolnal increased to about 90% ish and on a scale of 1-10 it was on 8 .:. 80%

ReputationRep:
    thumbs up if this exam was pathetic compared to june 2010 lol
    wer the fk was muscle contraction

ReputationRep:
    18 and 21

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma2010)
    I put the lower surface had stomata and when the temperature rose transpiration icrease, so more diffusion gradient for NAA to diffuse down (unit2). But I don't think that's 100% right I'm confused on that question
    I put it increases the rate of active transport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel1992)
    but it doesnt say anyhting about the trachae reforming?
    does too unfortunately....
    said after the 6th day it starts reforming...sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UCAS.LOVER)
    I reckon something around 75/100 for an A* what does everyone else think?
    someone earlier said 69/100 for an A* but it depends on the UMS so I don't know about that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khattnip)
    Sweet baby charizard that question paper was hell :eek:
    Lol best reaction so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose1990)
    the latter one ,I think. How do we use the knowledge of DNA in science and technology? I dont think we were expected to describe the techniques.

Anyway I am avoiding the content on this thread as much as I can to avoid dissapointment.
    That's what I thought. They prob don't want to know the methods , techniques, they just want to know the USES of dna technology and stuff , right ?

ReputationRep:
    Paper was awful.
    Synoptic essay was good though.
    I chose Cycles going for Krebs, Calvin, Carbon, Nitrogen, Menstral, Cell cycles, then a quite tenuous bit about predator prey and food chains being a cycle.
    Should at least get the 3 breadth marks :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrt23498)
    cardiac cycle, pulmonary cycle, mitosis?
    Well cheers for that, sugar, but the exam's over - let's stop faffing on about the past, and look to the future! Just cross your fingers for results day!

ReputationRep:
    What a joke of an exam. AQA have well and truly messed up. Uni was such a nice idea... =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanaleechan123)
    What percentage do you guys think it will be for a B?
    Who knows man? On one hand the essays were pretty straightforward in their titles, and some of the questions were also straight forward, but there were a few difficult questions too.

ReputationRep:
    Screwed up. No idea what my grade will be but I think it'll be like a D or something. fml.

No more uni for me then, haha. Just had to lose my only offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose1990)
    the latter one ,I think. How do we use the knowledge of DNA in science and technology? I dont think we were expected to describe the techniques.

Anyway I am avoiding the content on this thread as much as I can to avoid dissapointment.
    Yeah I should stop looking. That's what I thought to because that's a use, but some people wrote about gene cloning and stuff and writing about how it done and not a use would be irrelevant. but then again genecloning is a technology that uses dna :?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fsaeed20)
    I put it increases the rate of active transport.
    That makes sens, but does the lower leaf surface have active transport and the upper not then b/c it was explaining why the lower one suptake was higher with temperature

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doublereedfreak)
    Paper was awful.
    Synoptic essay was good though.
    I chose Cycles going for Krebs, Calvin, Carbon, Nitrogen, Menstral, Cell cycles, then a quite tenuous bit about predator prey and food chains being a cycle.
    Should at least get the 3 breadth marks :P
    i was discussing this with a friend earlier.. she said that apparently the menstrual cycle wouldnt count because it doesnt fit in with their definition of what a cycle is?? because the definition was saying something about a cycle leading on to something else.. meh idk lol. i did what you did lol without the predator prey stuff and cells mainly cos i was far too busy crying about how ive just wasted the past 2 years doing biology, and listening to my teacher rant about bread, for no particular reason.. (y)

ReputationRep:
    ahahahaha lol...i was thinking why do all these offer and smileys look familiar...then i looked at the name and realised its u :P lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.