Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby :))
    Yeah thats basically what i said. I said RNA levels fell in the beginning half because tissues are being broke down, not made etc

And RNA levels were high towards the end because adult tissue was being made. ;D
    me toooo

ReputationRep:
    Why are people so fussed about the absence of factual knowledge required? If it was just on simple recall then it would be easy. It has to test people's skills and intelligence. And anyway unit 5 is such a large span of chapters in the nt book, that the exam was never going to cover everything even if it was simple recall. and its your last bio unit, wouldn't people of understood what aqa biology is about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teddyWS)
    why was the iguana panting??
    I put as heat is transferred to the air in the lungs then breathed out, i couldn't think of anything else.

God dammit, i hate AQA so much, i really hope i get my B in biology or i might just kill myself to stop me from having to resit and deal with their ********ery again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M | k e)
    But wasn't there 2 plantlets and leaves ones? One being 50:5 and one being 25:10 from what I remember, so how are you to decide which of those 2 is best? To me the fact that plantlets were the only one that was alone in the box suggested that was what they were after. Who's the say when it says Plantlets it doesn't mean 10, and Plantlets and leaves could mean 5 Plantlets 5 leaves, I'd rather have 10 plantlets .

But yeah I get what you're saying, just to me there wasn't enough info there and my knowledge of growing papaya plants isn't great, so 5:1 seemed the most logical to me.

Shrug, 2 marks
    i can totally see your reasoning cos that exactly the same thought process i went through
    first i was like plantlet and leaf- wahey...wait a minute, theres 2 of them! hey, thers only one box with just one thing....hmmm ...suits me =D
    5:1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teddyWS)
    why was the iguana panting??
    I wrote that it was like sweating; in the sense that water evaporates, it takes heat away with it - and this is what causes Iggy's body temperature to fall, considering how Iggy is physiologically incapable of lowering her own body temperature.

But I'm not sure.... You know how AQA mark schemes are like(!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma2010)
    I put the lower surface had stomata and when the temperature rose transpiration icrease, so more diffusion gradient for NAA to diffuse down (unit2). But I don't think that's 100% right I'm confused on that question
    I kind of put that. If the temperature increases then the rate of photosynthesis increases thus transpiration increases so stomata are open more of the time so the rate of uptake is greater.

Didn't find it too bad over all, some bits were fairly challenging but I think I managed a good answer for all questions.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah so like.
    ... what the **** was that all about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheddar)
    What did people get for positive feedback between LH and oestrogen? I thought in the oestrous cycle the only positive feedback was between oestrogen and FSH?
    This is from revision guide, for the +ve feedback. The Lh stimulate ovary to release oestrogen, and this oestrogen inturn stimulate the anterior pituitary gland to release more Lh. lH conc diviate more from teh normal level...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khattnip)
    THIS! Only like 00:01 in the morning

I can picture it now

F5........F5.........F5......... F5......
    UCAS apparently doesn't update until 8:00a.m!!! Oh and they also don't update until midday after that, so there's no point refreshing loads.

ReputationRep:
    for the iguana, i wrote: panting helps to lose heat through radiation, and circulates cold air into the body, so reduces body temp... WTF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betsss)
    I wrote something like:
    as the concentration of oestrogen increased, it stimulates the pituitary to release more LH, which acts on the corpus luteum to release even more oestrogen, which stimulates LH. this means a deviation from the normal is detected an exaggerated, hence, a positive feedback
    i just completely guessed
    i wrote something more along the lines of how as oestrgen levels increase it causes the pituitary gland to release LH which causes ovulation :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TlanTlan)
    I put as heat is transferred to the air in the lungs then breathed out, i couldn't think of anything else.

God dammit, i hate AQA so much, i really hope i get my B in biology or i might just kill myself to stop me from having to resit and deal with their ********ery again.
    i dont know where...but somewhere, in some book...i remember reading thats its similar to sweating in humans. i.e- evaporation from tongue takes heat away
    wasnt fresh in my mind...kinda like a fading memory :P but thats what I've put anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betsss)
    I wrote something like:
    as the concentration of oestrogen increased, it stimulates the pituitary to release more LH, which acts on the corpus luteum to release even more oestrogen, which stimulates LH. this means a deviation from the normal is detected an exaggerated, hence, a positive feedback
    i just completely guessed
    I was under the impression that progesterone was the only thing released from the corpus leutem, follices release oestrogen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RodrigoB)
    Using up Heat to evaporate water
    reducing body temp ?
    but lizards dont sweat? if anything doesn't more intake of oxygen=higher rate of respirationn=more heat produced? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khattnip)
    Sweet baby charizard that question paper was hell :eek:
    I believe a baby Charizard would be referred to as a Charmander :cool:.
    If only there were A Levels on Pokemon!

As for the exam, I found the essay was the best bit. Ironic.
    Question 9 can kindly lick my private area .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woods.vanessa)
    Ill be up at 6am of results day to login into UCAS to see if Ive been accepted by my uni
    Anyone else doing this or just going straight to see their results first?
    6 am on UCAS
    Then i can see whether i take a bottle of champagne or a bottle of jack daniels to school for my results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma2010)
    That makes sens, but does the lower leaf surface have active transport and the upper not then b/c it was explaining why the lower one suptake was higher with temperature
    Upper has waxy cuticle therefore harder to take it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzzzg)
    UCAS apparently doesn't update until 8:00a.m!!! Oh and they also don't update until midday after that, so there's no point refreshing loads.
    Our school isnt giving out results until 10am!
    Was 9am last year :confused:

ReputationRep:
    for the NAA uptake, i just put:
    As the temperature increases, molecules of NAA have more kinetic energy, this means diffusion happens faster. Faster diffusion means more NAA gets taken in by the stomata at a quicker rate?
    and for the next bit, i put that the lower surface had a thinner/more permeable cuticle, because it allowed more NAA to enter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TlanTlan)

I put..
    When it opens it mouth it increases surface area.
    Its saliva evaporates taking some of the body heat .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.