Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    Why was the percentage of bases different in the middle and at the end of the DNA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sumsam)
    WAIT :eek::eek::eek::eek: they were LABELLED WITH LETTERS! i put 10 days!!!! WTH! oh noooooooo
    yeah there were letters, it said write down the letter where ovulation takes place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sumsam)
    WAIT :eek::eek::eek::eek: they were LABELLED WITH LETTERS! i put 10 days!!!! WTH! oh noooooooo
    So did i!!
    Im pretty sure it said letters though........ correct me if im wrong someone?

Either way, in cases like that they normally would allow both i hope...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rickesh)
    I put B
    Yeah I put B too, as oestrogen peaked in B, which stimulates FSH+LH, and LH stimulates Ovulation+Progesterone, and Progesterone started to increase in B

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got a copy of the paper or unofficial MS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby :))
    So did i!!
    Im pretty sure it said letters though........ correct me if im wrong someone?

Either way, in cases like that they normally would allow both i hope...
    It was letters i think!..
    i put C coz it was closer to 14 days, where progesterone was just starting to peak?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M | k e)
    Yeah I put B too, as oestrogen peaked in B, which stimulates FSH+LH, and LH stimulates Ovulation+Progesterone, and Progesterone started to increase in B
    What did you put for the question after that? Why is progesteron used to prevent ovulation? I put because progesterone inhibits the production of FSH. Withouth FSH the follicles cannot grow and develop so ovulation cannot occur.

And for the question before that about what evidence is there that the pig didnt become pregnant, was it because the levels of progesterone decreased as the corpus leuteum degenerates....?

ReputationRep:
    Urgh.
    This is just getting worse and worse........... the few marks i thought i HAD scraped ive made stupid stupid mistakes.

Like the first question, i put DEOXYRIBOSE.
    wtf!??! i knew it was RNA, i knew it was meant to be ribose.

:| :| :|

hello U.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betsss)
    It was letters i think!..
    i put C coz it was closer to 14 days, where progesterone was just starting to peak?
    It was progesterone you had to look at, for ovulation you should have looked at the levels of oestrogen because oestrogen is released from the follicle- the larger the follicle the more oestrogen?

ReputationRep:
    What did you put for the question after that? Why is progesteron used to prevent ovulation? I put because progesterone inhibits the production of FSH. Withouth FSH the follicles cannot grow and develop so ovulation cannot occur.

And for the question before that about what evidence is there that the pig didnt become pregnant, was it because the levels of progesterone decreased as the corpus leuteum degenerates....?
    DITTO

can someone tell me how they cant 0 and 0 for the percentage afer 80 i got 50 50 ?

ReputationRep:

I put that progesterone inhibited both LH and FSH, and without LH, ovulation cant happen, as LH caused ovulation..
    and yeah, i put that for why the pig wasnt pregnant

ReputationRep:
    do you need 360 total UMS for a C? if so then i need 20 UMS from this exam out of 140.

ReputationRep:

Progesterone also inhibits the release of LH, and LH is what causes ovulation. So it's a combination of the lack of LH and FSH.

For the next question I wrote it was because the decrease in progesterone means the corpus luteum is breaking down. That only happens when the egg isn't fertilised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liron Ingleby)
    DITTO

can someone tell me how they cant 0 and 0 for the percentage afer 80 i got 50 50 ?
    Well i got 80 0 0

Because it was asking specifically for the nervous stimulation

nervous stimulation effect dropped to 0 just before 2 hours..... it was only hormones having an impact (which sounds about right because nervous systems are quick short lasting, hormones are slower, longer lasting)

So, the nervous stimulation were producing 0% of the gastric juice each time because there was no line after 1.5 hrs or something! Only the line for hormones was above 0.

ReputationRep:
    Why was the percentage of bases different in the middle and at the end of the DNA?
    no idea. that question just confused me, so i left it. even though it was on the first page! horrible start to a horrible exam. i bet the answer was really simple as well
    what did you right on the rna question with the life cycle

ReputationRep:
    Urgh.
    This is just getting worse and worse........... the few marks i thought i HAD scraped ive made stupid stupid mistakes.

Like the first question, i put DEOXYRIBOSE.
    wtf!??! i knew it was RNA, i knew it was meant to be ribose.

:| :| :|

hello U.
    SAME!

ReputationRep:

Progesterone inhibits both LH and FSH, so if FSH isn't present the follicle won't develop, and also LH stimulates ovulation, so with this inhibited ovulation won't occur.

And yes I put that Progesterone levels decreased back down for the pregnant pig question

ReputationRep:
    Well i got 80 0 0

Because it was asking specifically for the nervous stimulation

nervous stimulation effect dropped to 0 just before 2 hours..... it was only hormones having an impact (which sounds about right because nervous systems are quick short lasting, hormones are slower, longer lasting)

So, the nervous stimulation were producing 0% of the gastric juice each time because there was no line after 1.5 hrs or something! Only the line for hormones was above 0.
    ohhh **** yeh! uch thats annoying cos thats an easy mark. and i got the 80 bit as well

Im predicting:

A*- 64
    A - 57
    B - 50
    C - 44

etc Much harder paper than last years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M | k e)
    Progesterone inhibits both LH and FSH, so if FSH isn't present the follicle won't develop, and also LH stimulates ovulation, so with this inhibited ovulation won't occur.

And yes I put that Progesterone levels decreased back down for the pregnant pig question
    yess! what did you put for why the percentage of bases was different in the middle of the DNA compared to the end?

ReputationRep:
    What was the answer to the percentage on DNA bases, the first question?! x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.