Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkb230)
    The general consensus is that this paper was harder than the June 2010 one and I most certainly agree with that. I spent 3 hours going over muscles, synapses, action potential with my teacher yesterday and none of that came up in the exam. If I had known that before the exam, then I would have revised for something else. I did enjoy the essay question though, that seemed like a treat after that atrocious paper. I was tempted to do the cycles question but then ended up doing the DNA technology as I went over that last night. I sincerely hope that the grade boundaries are very low. I won't even get a C if it is 50% for an A. This was the exam that was really going to make or break a place at uni for me. Didn't do too well. Well done AQA, you have manage to ruin my life yet again Hopefully I can pull off a miracle in Chem 5 on Friday.
    LITERALLY FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME WAY!
    i have chem on friday too.... thats going to be even more tragic than todays exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby :))
    Well i got 80 0 0

Because it was asking specifically for the nervous stimulation

nervous stimulation effect dropped to 0 just before 2 hours..... it was only hormones having an impact (which sounds about right because nervous systems are quick short lasting, hormones are slower, longer lasting)

So, the nervous stimulation were producing 0% of the gastric juice each time because there was no line after 1.5 hrs or something! Only the line for hormones was above 0.
    Yes, same here. That is exactly what I got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benevolence)
    Yes, same here. That is exactly what I got.
    They asked for it as a percentage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04bellot)
    Im not 100 percent certain but i know track comes up with a congratulatory message saying that you've been accepted at so and so university to study so and so course in september 2011.
    im guessing if you got into your insurance it would say their name and not your firm
    Thanks!
    Provided I get in ofc. :P

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if they were asking for the percentage of the gastric juice produced as a percentage at each point.

Hear me out, after 1 hour, it was indeed 80%, but at two hours, hormone stimulation had produced 6 units whilst the nervous system had peaked at 8, so as a percentage of the cumulative amount of gastric acid, I wrote 8/(8+6) as a percentage = 57%.

After 3 hours, the hormonal production had peaked at about 12.2 iirc, and so at that point, the cumulative total of gastric juice produced by nervous stimulation was 8/(8+12.2) x 100 = 44%ish.

Not quite sure what that question wanted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dallen)
    For the essay i went for the cycles, not sure if its allowed to put what i stated in it, but i went for menstrual, photosynthesis, respiration, nitrogen, carbon, (life in general for intro) and coudlnt really think of anything else.

i got 5:1 or 1:0.2

and like 80%, 57%, 48%, but for the last 2 i was think overal this had made by the 2/3 hours mark, not how much was being made at the 2/3 hour mark

1st hour, nerve at 8, hormone 2, 8+2=10, 8/10 = 80, 2nd hour was like 8 to 6, 8+6=14 8/14 = 58 ish? 3rd hour 8+8.5 = 16.5, 8/16.5 = 48 ish?
    Yeah, this was my reasoning too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scaudwell)
    I don't know if they were asking for the percentage of the gastric juice produced as a percentage at each point.

Hear me out, after 1 hour, it was indeed 80%, but at two hours, hormone stimulation had produced 6 units whilst the nervous system had peaked at 8, so as a percentage of the cumulative amount of gastric acid, I wrote 8/(8+6) as a percentage = 57%.

After 3 hours, the hormonal production had peaked at about 12.2 iirc, and so at that point, the cumulative total of gastric juice produced by nervous stimulation was 8/(8+12.2) x 100 = 44%ish.

Not quite sure what that question wanted.
    the units up the Y axis just said 'arbitary units' not percentage. they wanted it as a percentage of the maximum gastric juice. i read this question 4 times to make sure of it. the answer was 100% t 1 hour, and 0% at 2 and 3 hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa65)
    LITERALLY FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME WAY!
    i have chem on friday too.... thats going to be even more tragic than todays exam
    I have high hopes for Chem 5 though, I find it a lot easier than Chem 4 and Biol 5. Inorganic chemistry = keeps me happy. The 12 mark questions on the different colours is a bit ridiculous though. If only I could go back in time to year 11 when I was picking my AS levels, I would have picked something like History or Psychology instead of crappy Biology.

ReputationRep:
    I have high hopes for Chem 5 though, I find it a lot easier than Chem 4 and Biol 5. Inorganic chemistry = happy me. The 12 mark questions on the different colours is a bit ridiculous though. If only I could go back in time to year 11 when I was picking my AS levels, I would have picked something like History or Psychology instead of crappy Biology.
    *interrupts*
    Psychology is pretty crap too

ReputationRep:
    Join please.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...354782279&ap=1

The questions were just to retarded. :/

ReputationRep:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...354782279&ap=1

Join please.

ReputationRep:
    Fairly sure it was 80 0 0 for the % question; don't overcomplicate it.

ReputationRep:
    I have high hopes for Chem 5 though, I find it a lot easier than Chem 4 and Biol 5. Inorganic chemistry = keeps me happy. The 12 mark questions on the different colours is a bit ridiculous though. If only I could go back in time to year 11 when I was picking my AS levels, I would have picked something like History or Psychology instead of crappy Biology.
    Agreed chemistry is far more simple. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Did people get 5:1 ratio. Lots of people have different answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l4ith)
    Fairly sure it was 80 0 0 for the % question; don't overcomplicate it.
    fairly sure it was 100 0 0 for the first question
    it said arbitary units up the side, not %!

ReputationRep:
    will anyone be doing an unofficial ms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neo-apollo)
    the units up the Y axis just said 'arbitary units' not percentage. they wanted it as a percentage of the maximum gastric juice. i read this question 4 times to make sure of it. the answer was 100% t 1 hour, and 0% at 2 and 3 hours.
    I know they were arbitrary units, but I too checked it, and there was no mention of 'maximum' at all. I think we can agree it was a very vague question.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have the paper?

ReputationRep:
    i got 93 0 0 just to throw that out there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rickesh)
    It was two marks, saying that wouldnt be sufficient would it? I said that as well as the vesicles in which the acetylcholine is found is only in the pre-synaptic neurone?
    maybe that is for the 2nd mark. but even if there were ACh in the postsynaptic the impulse is only unidirectional due to the receptors

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.