Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirushan)
    cause temp increased and hence rate of respiration will increase hence more oxygen uptake..also bout enymez work better at higher temp
    i put something along those lines, so hopefully got a mark or two!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryHH)
    how on earth was I meant to know that lizards dont sweat !!??!!
    Nelson Thrones book is actually a life saver. It says that animals that don't sweat pant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamest92)
    Yeah just realised you meant after results day, thought you meant from today :rolleyes:
    Oh :'D

We're the cool opposite ends of the spectrum :cool: oh yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma2010)
    receptors are only on the postsynaptic membrane
    1 mark.

2nd mark for stating that the neurotransmitter is produced in the pre-synaptic bulb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keds1)
    ikr! I had spent aaaaaaaaaages the night before doing the whole of nelson thornes chapter 16 and chapter 10 as they were the biggest, but nothing. Well except for restriction mapping, the ONE topic I didn't understand.

What did everyone put for lizards?
    I put it was losing heat by evaporative water loss or respiration, something like that... tried to cover all my bases. Its like the equivalent of extra sweating.
    What did the question ask again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahTM)
    I put that
    I put bigger than 3000bp because the DNA itself was 3000BP long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neo-apollo)
    you mean the iguana's panting? i put something about movement of an external medium maintains a high gap in temperature and so ensures rapid radiation of heat, and an increased surfacearea to volume ratio over which to lose heat.
    yeyeye well like you know when you breath and you can see condensation on a window? Essentially the same thing. Increased surface area to volume what?! OOH EXPLAIN AWAY PLEAAAAAAAAAASE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keds1)
    ikr! I had spent aaaaaaaaaages the night before doing the whole of nelson thornes chapter 16 and chapter 10 as they were the biggest, but nothing. Well except for restriction mapping, the ONE topic I didn't understand.

What did everyone put for lizards?
    I put it was losing heat by evaporative water loss or respiration, something like that... tried to cover all my bases. Its like the equivalent of extra sweating.
    For the 'very long piece' it was the rest of the unknown DNA sequence plus the plasmid but because the restriction enzyme cuts before the unknown DNA you don't know how much of the 1000 bp is in the DNA and in the plasmid. It was only using two cuts so you needed to have a full loop 1000 + 2000 bp (of 3000 bp + a plasmid) does not equal the loop so it can't be 2000.

Also, I said panting causes saliva to go into mouth, evaporating, heat loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keds1)
    yeyeye well like you know when you breath and you can see condensation on a window? Essentially the same thing. Increased surface area to volume what?! OOH EXPLAIN AWAY PLEAAAAAAAAAASE
    aswell as heatloss from the external epidermis, there's also heatloss from the lungs due to rapid panting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l4ith)
    please say you didnt find this easy...
    otherwise i will actually cry

ReputationRep:
    Wrong thread but, was the unit 4 paper out of 100 marks?

ReputationRep:
    make a poll
    for which Q everyone picked for the synoptic question at the end

cycles in biology
    how dna is used in science and technology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betsss)
    please say you didnt find this easy...
    otherwise i will actually cry
    Look at his sig. Then you will automatically cry :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chjw)
    For the 'very long piece' it was the rest of the unknown DNA sequence plus the plasmid but because the restriction enzyme cuts before the unknown DNA you don't know how much of the 1000 bp is in the DNA and in the plasmid. It was only using two cuts so you needed to have a full loop 1000 + 2000 bp (of 3000 bp + a plasmid) does not equal the loop so it can't be 2000.

Also, I said panting causes saliva to go into mouth, evaporating, heat loss.
    well it was two marks! Altho that said, I have said that for about 6 questions on this paper so far... hmmm.. fingers crossed for very low grade boundaries.
    as for the 3000bp one, it already said it was 3000bp. And I guess 2000bp is much bigger than 1000 base pairs..

(Original post by neo-apollo)
    aswell as heatloss from the external epidermis, there's also heatloss from the lungs due to rapid panting
    ooh clever! Anything you didn't get on the paper?

(Original post by l4ith)
    something like how does lizards panting help with thermoregulation...

ReputationRep:
    That panting question was ridiculous..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RodrigoB)
    nah I was talking about the other question
    for this question I put exactly what u put
    as a yoga teacher i used a yogic response and mentioned about ectotherm not able to control its temperature via biological systems and said breathing through the mouth cools the body as it isnt warmed by the nasal passages of the nose before entering the lungs so would have a cooling affect. this is what we do in yoga to cool the body: breath through the mouth lol i was at a total loss with this paper, left many questions blank and i'd totally revised like 3-6hrs per day. nightmare and gutted:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BackDoorEntry)
    Look at his sig. Then you will automatically cry :'(
    ... i actually know him too makes me cry even more hehe

ReputationRep:
    Also, wouldn't acetylcholine being broken down enforce unidirectionality?
    i said Ach is only diffused from the pre-synaptic membrane and receptors are only found on the post synaptic membrane??

ReputationRep:
    Oh :'D

We're the cool opposite ends of the spectrum :cool: oh yeah
    Aww yeah :cool: mines better though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by denisewoosey)
    i said Ach is only diffused from the pre-synaptic membrane and receptors are only found on the post synaptic membrane??
    I think I put that too

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.