Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirushan)
    those of u sayn it waz 80 0 0 or 75 0 0 dnt the percentagez have 2 add up 2 a hunderd? i put 100 0 0
    it was 80 0 0

this is becasue at 1 hour there was 8 from neurones and 2 from hormones..
    8+2=10
    8/10=0.8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUsername42)
    What did everyone get for how that one protein made by the Puppa could make loads of other proteins??
    it can be broken down to itz amino acidz and den rearraanged to form different polypeptide chains to form diffrnt proteins

ReputationRep:
    those of u sayn it waz 80 0 0 or 75 0 0 dnt the percentagez have 2 add up 2 a hunderd? i put 100 0 0
    It didn't make sense to me to say the the nerve thingy produced 100% of the juice since the hormones also produced some

It was probably 80 knowing my luck :cry:

ReputationRep:
    Okay, to clear up the percentage question once and for all, here is the graph we were given:

The table asked what % of the gastric juice was produced by nervous stimulation.

At 1 hour after digestion, nervous is at 8 units and hormonal is at 2, therefore nervous represents 8/10 = 80%

At 2 hours after digestion, nervous stimulation has dropped to 0, only hormonal stimulation is occurring so the percentage is 0%

3 hours gives the same answer as 2 hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah2793)
    it was 80 0 0

this is becasue at 1 hour there was 8 from neurones and 2 from hormones..
    8+2=10
    8/10=0.8
    did it not say onli for A? so u do not take account of B just A and 80 was the maximum produced so 80/80 x 100 = 100

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone get for how that one protein made by the Puppa could make loads of other proteins??
    I said that there 20 different amino acids and they can be rearranged in different ways to give different proteins. So when old substances are broken down, the amino acids can rearrange to give new protein. Not sure if thats right though :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horatio-)
    It didn't make sense to me to say the the nerve thingy produced 100% of the juice since the hormones also produced some

It was probably 80 knowing my luck :cry:
    it never askd bout the hormonal just nervouse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lpassby)
    Okay, to clear up the percentage question once and for all, here is the graph we were given:

The table asked what % of the gastric juice was produced by nervous stimulation.

At 1 hour after digestion, nervous is at 8 units and hormonal is at 2, therefore nervous represents 8/10 = 80%

At 2 hours after digestion, nervous stimulation has dropped to 0, only hormonal stimulation is occurring so the percentage is 0%

**** ......... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheekymon999)
    **** ......... :mad:
    but it said onlifor A (nervouse stimulus)

ReputationRep:
    but it said onlifor A (nervouse stimulus)
    I, like many other people on here wrote 100, 0, 0

this question was very unlear and only worth one mark so i couldnt be arsed to waste my time on it!

ReputationRep:
    did it not say onli for A? so u do not take account of B just A and 80 was the maximum produced so 80/80 x 100 = 100
    no, it said what % of total was from neurones..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I'm glad it was only worth 1 mark now!

ReputationRep:
    i found the paper overall to be fairly alright.
    i few couple of markers i got stuck on like the RNA and why it decreases?!

and also the very first question i put: phosphate and ribose...but then changed it to deoyribose.. what was the answer?

**** it is ribose becasue RNA.. meh 1 marl

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I'll get 3/3 for breadth in the cycles essay if I wrote about:
    - predator-prey cycle
    - carbon cycle
    - nitrogen cycle
    - menstrual cycle
    - Krebs cycle
    - Calvin cycle?

I didn't write anything about any kind of cell cycles, so I'm a bit worried I'll get 2/3 and then mess up the additional marks you get for info outside the spec.

ReputationRep:

Oh what it asked for percentage I didn't even read that question then lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rushure)
    Do you think I'll get 3/3 for breadth in the cycles essay if I wrote about:
    - predator-prey cycle
    - carbon cycle
    - nitrogen cycle
    - menstrual cycle
    - Krebs cycle
    - Calvin cycle?

I didn't write anything about any kind of cell cycles, so I'm a bit worried I'll get 2/3 and then mess up the additional marks you get for info outside the spec.
    Not sure, you only wrote about A2 topics.

But you have some for ecology, plants and animals which is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah2793)
    i found the paper overall to be fairly alright.
    i few couple of markers i got stuck on like the RNA and why it decreases?!

and also the very first question i put: phosphate and ribose...but then changed it to deoyribose.. what was the answer?

**** it is ribose becasue RNA.. meh 1 marl
    Ribose as it's mRNA

ReputationRep:

Yep, agreed.

ReputationRep:
    If people decided to do the cycle essay question-what topics did u cover?
    I went into detail about Carbon, Nitrogen, Water-tried to cover animals, plants and bacteria but people are also talking about including the cardiac cycle? Did i miss the point of the question?

ReputationRep:

(Original post by TlanTlan)
    Protein is made of up different amino acids which can be re-combined in a different order giving a different protein, and something along that line.
    I put this too.

The protein can be broken down (by hydrolysis) and the constituent amino acids can be recombined in a different order to give a new protein.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.