Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aysha92)
    Ribose as it's mRNA
    haha yeah i realised thanks anyway

in my essay i wrote about:
    -carbon
    -nitrogen
    -circulatory system
    -cell cycle(mitosis)
    -krebs
    -calvin
    -PCR

and in my plan i wrote about hormones like menstrul cycle but forgot to write tht in the essay, u rekon ill get full 3/3? thanks

ReputationRep:
    The percentage question clearly said only for nervous stimulation.....so it has to be 100 0 0. But i am not really sure!!! Apart from that thepaper was quite good....with some tricky questions(had to be there). The essay topics were a gift ....I did the DNA one and wrote like 5 pages on all the DNA stuff in A2 and some from unit 2.The grade boundries will be 60 to 70 % for an A I think. But seeing that some people found it difficult they could be lower.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong it says what percentage of gastric acid is from nervous stimulation at that point, thus 80%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodboy4444)
    The percentage question clearly said only for nervous stimulation.....so it has to be 100 0 0. But i am not really sure!!! Apart from that thepaper was quite good....with some tricky questions(had to be there). The essay topics were a gift ....I did the DNA one and wrote like 5 pages on all the DNA stuff in A2 and some from unit 2.The grade boundries will be 60 to 70 % for an A I think. But seeing that some people found it difficult they could be lower.
    I put 100 0 0.. it makes sense...

ReputationRep:
    What did people put for the question that asked describe how the data shows that the cells produced or toti-potent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ApplePi)
    I put this too.

The protein can be broken down (by hydrolysis) and the constituent amino acids can be recombined in a different order to give a new protein.
    I put that. Only i put monosaccharides and polysaccharides..... :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    no it was definitely the total amount, so it is 80%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lpassby)
    Okay, to clear up the percentage question once and for all, here is the graph we were given:

The table asked what % of the gastric juice was produced by nervous stimulation.

At 1 hour after digestion, nervous is at 8 units and hormonal is at 2, therefore nervous represents 8/10 = 80%

At 2 hours after digestion, nervous stimulation has dropped to 0, only hormonal stimulation is occurring so the percentage is 0%

3 hours gives the same answer as 2 hours.
    It asked about *nervous stimulation* not anything to do with hormonal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lpassby)
    Okay, to clear up the percentage question once and for all, here is the graph we were given:

The table asked what % of the gastric juice was produced by nervous stimulation.

At 1 hour after digestion, nervous is at 8 units and hormonal is at 2, therefore nervous represents 8/10 = 80%

At 2 hours after digestion, nervous stimulation has dropped to 0, only hormonal stimulation is occurring so the percentage is 0%

3 hours gives the same answer as 2 hours.
    Sh%t! I got this wrong! I did 100,0,0 - how many marks was it?

ReputationRep:
    It was 80 0 0, learn maths...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tericon)
    I put that. Only i put monosaccharides and polysaccharides..... :facepalm:
    Ohhhh dear... The pressure of an exam worth 60% of A2 makes us do silly things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinnDawggg)
    it was total amount of hormone produced at a specific time of nervous stimulation
    correct answer is
    80 0 0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinnDawggg)
    Yes, it asked about nervous stimulation and the total volume of gastric juice produced - hormonal stimulation contributed to gastric juice production at 1 hr so had to be taken into consideration.

It was only worth 1 mark if I remember correctly, 2 max.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janet9)
    Sh%t! I got this wrong! I did 100,0,0 - how many marks was it?
    only 1 mark!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gorillaz121)
    It was 80 0 0, learn maths...
    Clam down lol!!! Untill someone shows me the question paper and I read the question again(I might be wrong) I will stick with my point..

ReputationRep:
    for the two questions on histamine and hormone,.......what did people put?

ReputationRep:
    The best bit about that exam is that its over I will never ever have to pretend to care about flies growing up or pigs getting pregnant again. .
    So long aqa biology!

BUT If I fail and have to retake. . .fml!

ReputationRep:
    Hey i'm reli worried I messed up my essay and wanted to know what people think - btw you can be brutally honest.

I chose the DNA and its uses in science and technology and talked about;

1) Classification and using DNA hybridisation to find how similar or different organisms are
    2) Then talked about DNA fingerprinting and using polymerase chain reaction
    3) then i talked about meiosis and how understanding how variation is important is used for conservation (okay i know this is a stretch).

and thats about it

ReputationRep:
    What do you think the boundaries will be for all of the grades? cause i really need a C bu most people are just putting what they think the boundary for an A is? I feel a bit stupid haha

ReputationRep:
    do you get marks for the plan? didn't really do one coz i'd done the essay before..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.