Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellowducks8)
    Hey i'm reli worried I messed up my essay and wanted to know what people think - btw you can be brutally honest.

I chose the DNA and its uses in science and technology and talked about;

1) Classification and using DNA hybridisation to find how similar or different organisms are
    2) Then talked about DNA fingerprinting and using polymerase chain reaction
    3) then i talked about meiosis and how understanding how variation is important is used for conservation (okay i know this is a stretch).

and thats about it
    I don't know about the third point, but the others seem ok but you maybe should have put something about like uses in medicine and crops etc? Not really sure though, i did the other essay as i felt there wasn't much to write on DNA tech compared to cycles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodboy4444)
    Clam down lol!!! Untill someone shows me the question paper and I read the question again(I might be wrong) I will stick with my point..
    It is 100% not 100 0 0, I promise you. There would be no gain from answering the question: "What was the percentage of volume of gastric juices produced by nervous impulses?". They obviously want you to find the percentage as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *QueenBeee)
    for the two questions on histamine and hormone,.......what did people put?
    I wasnt sure either anyone???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by denisewoosey)
    as a yoga teacher i used a yogic response and mentioned about ectotherm not able to control its temperature via biological systems and said breathing through the mouth cools the body as it isnt warmed by the nasal passages of the nose before entering the lungs so would have a cooling affect. this is what we do in yoga to cool the body: breath through the mouth lol i was at a total loss with this paper, left many questions blank and i'd totally revised like 3-6hrs per day. nightmare and gutted:mad:
    they might give you an extra credit for this answer no ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xelaman)
    If people decided to do the cycle essay question-what topics did u cover?
    I went into detail about Carbon, Nitrogen, Water-tried to cover animals, plants and bacteria but people are also talking about including the cardiac cycle? Did i miss the point of the question?
    the cardiac cycle wasnt nessesary, a lot of people didnt include it cos they dont remember it. People only included it for 'breadth' marks as its unit one. From what you covered it looks like you'll still get the breadth marks so dont woory :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah2793)
    haha yeah i realised thanks anyway

in my essay i wrote about:
    -carbon
    -nitrogen
    -circulatory system
    -cell cycle(mitosis)
    -krebs
    -calvin
    -PCR

and in my plan i wrote about hormones like menstrul cycle but forgot to write tht in the essay, u rekon ill get full 3/3? thanks
    PCR!! Genius, wish I'd thought of it!

I wrote about:
    nitrogen
    carbon
    water
    menstraul
    cardiac
    calvin
    cell cycle
    bacterial divison

edit: why the neg? I hate it when people neg writhout expelaining! was there a probvlem with my ****ing answers or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gorillaz121)
    It is 100% not 100 0 0, I promise you. There would be no gain from answering the question: "What was the percentage of volume of gastric juices produced by nervous impulses?". They obviously want you to find the percentage as a whole.
    Maybe...but I seriously don't remember the question well enough to argue on that....I am just saying what I thought while anwering the question..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo!xx)
    PCR!! Genius, wish I'd thought of it!

I wrote about:
    nitrogen
    carbon
    water
    menstraul
    cardiac
    calvin
    cell cycle
    bacterial divison
    I know its quality not quantity but how many pages???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by empop92)
    im sending an angry e-mail to complain to AQA.
    i got a high A on my mock for june 2010, but this paper took the piss! i've probs got a D or something on it! thinking back i don't see where i've got any solid marks
    Couldn't agree more to be honest with you, thought i was good at biology before this. Probably goodbye Newcastle Dentistry for us then

ReputationRep:
    erm i had to ask for one sheet of extra paper. But mind you, my hand writing gets crazy big in exams, so its probably the equivilant to writing just to the back of exam paper. The cardiac cycle and cell cycle ones are vague because i was running out of time, unsurprisingly enough :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lpassby)
    Okay, to clear up the percentage question once and for all, here is the graph we were given:

The table asked what % of the gastric juice was produced by nervous stimulation.

At 1 hour after digestion, nervous is at 8 units and hormonal is at 2, therefore nervous represents 8/10 = 80%

At 2 hours after digestion, nervous stimulation has dropped to 0, only hormonal stimulation is occurring so the percentage is 0%

3 hours gives the same answer as 2 hours.
    stop haunting me with the biology questions!! (even though i put 80, 0, 0)

ReputationRep:
    i wrote just over 3.5 too..i tried to not to get to involved in each point and ramble..
    although i explained PCR fully as its on our course..mostly i just gave an outline and quick summary..

ha although in mitosis i couldnt remeber everything so tht was fringe writing

how many did u write?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny1312)
    Couldn't agree more to be honest with you, thought i was good at biology before this. Probably goodbye Newcastle Dentistry for us then
    I feel especially bad for the medics and denists that get screwed over by these exams, because its just that much harder for them :[
    Also it means more medics will fail, which means they'll be after my biomedical science place which I wont get cos i'll have failed too! :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    GUYS I got 37 raw marks in the ISA , roughly, How many UMS will I get ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo!xx)
    erm i had to ask for one sheet of extra paper. But mind you, my hand writing gets crazy big in exams, so its probably the equivilant to writing just to the back of exam paper. The cardiac cycle and cell cycle ones are vague because i was running out of time, unsurprisingly enough :L
    Well i dont think u have anything to worry about then u covered everything and wrote tons-i was trying to talk biology language-where u add in key words

ReputationRep:
    If people decided to do the cycle essay question-what topics did u cover?
    I went into detail about Carbon, Nitrogen, Water-tried to cover animals, plants and bacteria but people are also talking about including the cardiac cycle? Did i miss the point of the question?
    I did Nitrogen cycle, Calvin cycle, ATP hydrolysis/condensation cycley thing, mitosis + cell cycle, Oestrous cycle.... and then stuck muscle contraction as a cycle on the end. I did 3 and a bit pages, dont know how people had time to do like 8 pages though! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RodrigoB)
    GUYS I got 37 raw marks in the ISA , roughly, How many UMS will I get ?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...19192354782279

guys join if you thought you deserved a better paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aabbcc)
    I don't know about the third point, but the others seem ok but you maybe should have put something about like uses in medicine and crops etc? Not really sure though, i did the other essay as i felt there wasn't much to write on DNA tech compared to cycles.
    I know for some stupid reason i chose the first one I hope i get in the teens for the essay :s

ReputationRep:
    :ninja:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.