Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benevolence)
    Basically;

More lysosomes in the earlier stages of its development as lysosomes contain digestive enzymes that hydolyse proteins.

More RNA later in the cycle because RNA is involved with protein synthesis and since it is rebuilding proteins (adult ones), a greater conc. of RNA is present.

It was relative straight forward and required you to apply information from the text.

I hope you did well
    yes fine with lysosomes bit - the lysosomes bit was just synoptic content anyway. Good thing you remembered
    yes RNA increase has valid explanation - can't find a way to deem it as incorrect. You used data from passage

I mean there is so much variety in these questions. There are quite a few bits in data yo are given that are equally likely to tell you the answer.

We did well.
    AQA just need to think 'is it incorrect?' if its not then its correct

it's an 'all-or-nothing principle' shall we say :P haha

ReputationRep:
    so if we add up all the marks from previous units, what do we have to get to get an A overall in A-level?

ReputationRep:
    just wondering...your opinio
    for the essay qu i did cycles :
    wrote about n cycle, c cycle, krebs calvin and menstrual and i was wondering whether someone could tell me wheter or not "cohesion - tension" theory can be classed as a cycle?? As the end product is gonna be the start product of the next cycle (water)
    Do u think i will loose marks cos of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakir)
    I got 93 0 0...
    Any1 else?
    I got something along those lines, I did like 8/8.5 * 100 cause the highest peak was 8.5, but I ended up with a decimal... so not sure bout that haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mina-z)
    so if we add up all the marks from previous units, what do we have to get to get an A overall in A-level?
    480 ums overall for an A and 420 for B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *QueenBeee)
    wrote about n cycle, c cycle, krebs calvin and menstrual and i was wondering whether someone could tell me wheter or not "cohesion - tension" theory can be classed as a cycle?? As the end product is gonna be the start product of the next cycle (water)
    Transpiration is a cycle but not cohesion-tension theory. Water is the only thing in cohesion tension theory...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *QueenBeee)
    I don't think you'd lose marks, but not sure if you'll gain any...
    I did nitrogen cycle, carbon cycle, krebs cycle, calvin cycle, menstrual cycle, cell cycle, semi conservative replication... I think that was it

ReputationRep:
    ahhh got soo much wrong
    will around 50 - 55 raw marks be an A
    or am i being too optimistic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeevesFTW)
    Nobody seems to have discussed this question yet:

"...One way to tell whether or not the DNA has been completely digested is to count up the total length of the DNA fragments. Explain how scientists could use this data to conclude that the DNA has not been totally digested by the enzymes."

This completely threw me.

As I see it, either the total fragment length is equal to the length of the original DNA or it isn't.

If it is, this does not prove anything. No matter how many times you cut a piece of string, the total length of the fragments will stay the same. The total fragment length gives no indication whatsoever of whether or not there are restriction sites yet to be cut.

If it isn't, then bases have apparently vanished into thin air. Which cannot happen.

I have checked the textbook and the revision guide, and there isn't a single hint of the answer to this question. Possibly I just read it wrong.

Edit: The only way total fragment length would be of any use is if they knew how many fragments they would get to start with, in which case they don't even need to calculate total length, they would just need to count the fragments.

more than one plasmid used, therefore if some not completely digested will create additional fragment length so can be larger than total numbers of base pairs. so proves not completely digested

ReputationRep:
    would i lose breadth mark if i talked about cardiac, menstrual, nitrogen, cell cycle, krebs but missed out photosynthesis cycle?
    i did cover all units of spec so i don't think i should

ReputationRep:
    for cycles i mentioned
    krebs calvin predator-prey nitrogen carbon oestrous muscle contraction homeostasis cardiac cell cycle

ReputationRep:
    please can someone reply
    50 - 55 raw marks?
    what ums?

ReputationRep:
    gah! I can't stop thinking about that pupa question and how i royally messed it up, damn you time restrictions. Btw people who did cycles for the 25 mark essay, what breadth of knowledge did you add in?

ReputationRep:
    for the sexual reporduction seed one
    i just put there will be variation
    so some plants will have broader leaver for example and therefore higher yields? any marks?
    for why its an advantage
    i put that its quicker to do and you can control the amount of growth factors etc
    ahhh i got sooo much wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choc1234)
    please can someone reply
    50 - 55 raw marks?
    what ums?
    well last june 2010 the gr.boundaries were
    A*- 69
    A - 62
    B - 55
    C - 49
    D - 43
    E - 37

This year I reckon
    A* - 64
    A - 57
    B - 50
    C- 44
    D - 38
    E - 32

I do think people found this alot harder, so gr.bound will prbz be lower than my prediction, youll have a B for sure but could stretch into an A, 50/50 chance
    Did you think this exam was harder than june 2010?

ReputationRep:
    for the sexual reporduction seed one
    i just put there will be variation
    so some plants will have broader leaver for example and therefore higher yields? any marks?
    for why its an advantage
    i put that its quicker to do and you can control the amount of growth factors etc
    ahhh i got sooo much wrong!
    the fact that growing in tissue culture is quicker is correct. you definitely got that mark

ReputationRep:
    please can someone reply
    50 - 55 raw marks?
    what ums?
    it depends on the grade boundaries
    depends on how well everyone has done overall
    do if an A is 50 marks then that will be 112 ums or if A is 60 then that wil be 112 ums
    depends on ums not raw mark so if A is 50-60 then it wil be 112 ums
    A-112 ums
    B 98 ums
    c-84 ums
    d-70 ums
    e-56 ums

having sed that i think ive got around 47-52 marks on this due to a good essay but im not too sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flux_Pav)
    the fact that growing in tissue culture is quicker is correct. you definitely got that mark
    is everything else wrong then?

ReputationRep:
    will anyone be doing an unofficial ms?

ReputationRep:
    con someone run through all the answers for the IAA / NAA question
    and the pupa question thanks
    i think i got zero marks in these 2 lol and restriction mapping.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.