The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3260
What about the other one marker where it said write the percentage of uracil in the DNA, it was 0, 0 right?
Reply 3261
Original post by gorillaz121
There is almost a 0% chance that you will get >22 marks.
The examiners are told to make it so that roughly 15% of the candidates get above 12 marks for scientific content, if you made no more than one mistake; then you could maybe get 14. 3 for breadth, usually they give 2 for both relevance and QWC and as you have so much I'd expect that. So probably at the most 20-22, hope that helped :smile:

hey how come i would get only 14 for content
i wrote quite a lot of points in alot of detail
just wondering :s-smilie:
Reply 3262
Original post by Benevolence
I'm sorry that people have been ignoring you :/

Some of these questions have been adressed earlier on in the thread.

If you tell me what you would like to know, I will tell you :smile:

hi i need 100 ums in this for an A
i was just wondering could you run through your answers on the IAA/NAA question, and the pupa (last question) i think i lost most marks on these too
i also didnt get 80% for the percentage
and i think i got the uracilbase % wrong
also a couple of the restriction mapping q's wrong
however my essay was okay i think
so i would be really grateful if you could put down your answers thanks
It's ok AQA i didn't really want to go to university anyway... *******s.
Reply 3264
Original post by choc1234
hi i need 100 ums in this for an A
i was just wondering could you run through your answers on the IAA/NAA question, and the pupa (last question) i think i lost most marks on these too
i also didnt get 80% for the percentage
and i think i got the uracilbase % wrong
also a couple of the restriction mapping q's wrong
however my essay was okay i think
so i would be really grateful if you could put down your answers thanks

does anyone remember the questions for siRNA? And how many marks the questions on siRNA were out of in total?
Reply 3265
do you have to hit the 4 points in the essay - genes, cells, ecology and something else? i only wrote about the nitrogen, carbon, oestrous, krebs, calvin and didnt talk about anything to do with genes. will i have definitely have lost breadth marks/scientific content marks?? thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3266
Original post by lou12
does anyone remember the questions for siRNA? And how many marks the questions on siRNA were out of in total?

i think they asked how siRNA will affect protein synthesis and how it can be used to treat disease... maybe another qu. too?
Reply 3267
for the lysosomes i put that their numbers increased as lysosomes functions are to digest worn out organelles/cells etc
for the rna in the first part i put it decreased because protien wasnt being made as it wasnt being required - im guessing this is 0 marks
for the hydrolysos condensationi just put that cond is required to join lots of amino acids together via peptide bonds
for the seeds one i put there is variation as its sexual and so different shaped leaves will be prod for example leading to diffferent yields
for the chromosone one i put that it depends on the dna i packed and coiled into the chromosone - i believe this is wrong
Original post by Teva
do you have to hit the 4 points in the essay - genes, cells, ecology and something else? i only wrote about the nitrogen, carbon, oestrous, krebs, calvin and didnt talk about anything to do with genes. will i have definitely have lost breadth marks/scientific content marks?? thanks

You pulled from 5 different areas, although carbon and nitrogen could be considered as 1, so you have got the 4, so you got the breadth marks.

I managed to pull from 5, as i shoehorned the cell cycle in.
Reply 3269
Original post by TlanTlan
It's ok AQA i didn't really want to go to university anyway... *******s.

hey could read my post and help me out htanks
Reply 3270
oh yeah, what did people put for why every plant will not respond in the same way to NAA uptake through the lower and upper surfaces? i put because some plants wont have a waxy cuticle... is this feasible? :L
..and for the seeds one i put you dont grow from seeds because theyre not genetically identical and its a much slower process? what did other people think? :smile:
Reply 3271
And what was the qu about the upper and lower leaves and something about NAA
Reply 3272
Original post by lou12

i put on the lower epidermis there are stomata so the uptake of it will be quicker
Reply 3273
i really hope around 55 is an A
Reply 3274
Original post by lou12

i put quicker uptake on lower due to no upper waxy cuticle being hard for NAA to permeate through or something...
What was the question for the % of uracil ? Was it % of uracil in the DNA or in the mRNA because im not sure if i read it right i thought it was mRNA so i put like 21 and 18 but obviously if it was DNA it would be 0 and 0 ??
Original post by Teva
oh yeah, what did people put for why every plant will not respond in the same way to NAA uptake through the lower and upper surfaces? i put because some plants wont have a waxy cuticle... is this feasible? :L
..and for the seeds one i put you dont grow from seeds because theyre not genetically identical and its a much slower process? what did other people think? :smile:

What was the question aboutseeds??? I just can't remember anything about seeds????thanks :smile:
Reply 3277
i really hope around 55 is an A

What did you say for the evidence in the table of the cells being totipotent
Reply 3278
Original post by lou12
What did you say for the evidence in the table of the cells being totipotent

Callus was produced.
Original post by olimyster64
What was the question for the % of uracil ? Was it % of uracil in the DNA or in the mRNA because im not sure if i read it right i thought it was mRNA so i put like 21 and 18 but obviously if it was DNA it would be 0 and 0 ??

I hope it was asking about mRNA, because I put 18 & 21 % too :/

for the lysosomes i put that their numbers increased as lysosomes functions are to digest worn out organelles/cells etc

I said the number of lysosomes would decrease with age, because fewer lytic enzymes are needed, because most breaking down of proteins occurs in the early stages of pupal development. You might be right though - I mean, I was close to saying the numbers would increase, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending