Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    A? i'm feeling the heat over a B in biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TlanTlan)
    A? i'm feeling the heat over a B in biology.
    what kinda mark do you think you got?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TlanTlan)
    Preaching to a choir, i feel like AQA have thrown my university chances down the drain. I could practically recite the textbook i'd revised so hard for this then boom, graphs, and ****ing iguanas.
    the point of an exam isnt just so that you can spend 2 years learning how to copy out of a textbook, its meant to examine you.
    but dont worry because if youre smart you would have done better than you think i should know because i was shocked when i saw my grades last year despite knowing i had ballsed up some of my exams .x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milk <3)
    the point of an exam isnt just so that you can spend 2 years learning how to copy out of a textbook, its meant to examine you.
    but dont worry because if youre smart you would have done better than you think i should know because i was shocked when i saw my grades last year despite knowing i had ballsed up some of my exams .x
    go away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Introverted moron)
    Thank you for that. Best news I've heard all week.

Biology exams with AQA are basically an example of directional selection in action. Those with phenotypes for applying their knowledge are selected for, while those without are selected against. Over time, the population shifts in the direction of these lucky individuals; the frequency of the HSW allele increases and the population of biology students therefore get better at answering HSW questions (or so AQA would hope :rolleyes:).
    thats excellent lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakir)
    Hoping to study optometry, i need and A bt im pretty sure i'l b ot with a B.
    hey what kida mark doya think u got?

ReputationRep:
    okay about this cycles essay , it said cycles thats products are what triggers or is the reactant in other words for a new cycle so surely the only cycles that were relevant were

cell cycles
    krebs cycle
    calvin cycle
    nitrogen cycle
    and carbon cycle??

i wrote about synapses but crossed it out cos i panicked and didnt want to lose marks for writing irrelevant material!
    plus im not really sure if the menstrual cycle really fits the question wording?
    aqa should be scrapped before it ****s too many people over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choc1234)
    hey what kida mark doya think u got?
    Im not sure tbh, y?

What about u?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanpullen)
    okay about this cycles essay , it said cycles thats products are what triggers or is the reactant in other words for a new cycle so surely the only cycles that were relevant were

cell cycles
    krebs cycle
    calvin cycle
    nitrogen cycle
    and carbon cycle??

i wrote about synapses but crossed it out cos i panicked and didnt want to lose marks for writing irrelevant material!
    plus im not really sure if the menstrual cycle really fits the question wording?
    aqa should be scrapped before it ****s too many people over!
    lol
    this is what i thought too!

i wrote about similar to what you wrote except that instead of cell cycle i wrote about the water cycle...like transpiration? because after when nitrates are produced in the nitrogen cycle; nitrates are actively transported into the xylem for water to follow in by osmosis?

so yeah...this is why i didnt write about menstrual cycle and the action potentials and stuff

ReputationRep:
    My thought on seeing the cycles question was "All of biology is a god dam cycle, could you be any more generic"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coffee345)
    lol
    this is what i thought too!

i wrote about similar to what you wrote except that instead of cell cycle i wrote about the water cycle...like transpiration? because after when nitrates are produced in the nitrogen cycle; nitrates are actively transported into the xylem for water to follow in by osmosis?

so yeah...this is why i didnt write about menstrual cycle and the action potentials and stuff
    thank god for that someone else who took the same approach to this truly awful question

fingers crossed we answered it correctly, my thinking is they defined a cycle and asked for us to write about cycles that fit the questions definition!

good luck btw what did you think of it overall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanpullen)
    thank god for that someone else who took the same approach to this truly awful question

fingers crossed we answered it correctly, my thinking is they defined a cycle and asked for us to write about cycles that fit the questions definition!

good luck btw what did you think of it overall?
    lol
    all good then ^^

uhm...i thought it was an awful paper >.<
    but i dont know...hopefully low grade boundaries, maybe?
    did you think it was harder than June 2010's paper?

ReputationRep:
    Hey i think i got 32 on that paper maaan :'(

these are my results
    unit 1 - 96
    unit 2 - 108
    unit 3 - 60
    unit 4 - 86
    unit 5 - UNSURE i think like 31 raw marks OMGOMG
    unit 6 - like 55 ish

HEY will someone help pleaseeee do you think i will be able to get a C on this paper because seriously i think i have 31 raw marks OMGOMG good bye uni offer OMG!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairen886)
    The chief examiner of biology did a talk at my school a few weeks ago and he said that this exam is harder than last years and provisionally an A would be 56 marks. It is lovely and low so don't worry about uni

so if an A - 56
    what would be a B, C and D

Pleaseee?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hammd)

these are my results
    unit 1 - 96
    unit 2 - 108
    unit 3 - 60
    unit 4 - 86
    unit 6 - like 55 ish

HEY will someone help pleaseeee do you think i will be able to get a C on this paper because seriously i think i have 31 raw marks OMGOMG good bye uni offer OMG!!!!!!
    your results in other units are like all A's...what makes you think you got like 32 which is like an E? @[email protected]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hammd)

these are my results
    unit 1 - 96
    unit 2 - 108
    unit 3 - 60
    unit 4 - 86
    unit 6 - like 55 ish

does 32 raw marks include the essay?

ReputationRep:
    could someone just make sure please
    would around 52 raw marks on this paper give around 102 ums?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou12)
    does 32 raw marks include the essay?

yes on the essay = 12 + 1 + 1 +2

then on the exam: first q = 3,
    then q on acetluy choline = 2
    question on menstrul cycle = 1+2+1+2+1
    question on sirna= 2+2+1+1
    a mark for the 80 0 0 = 1
    stem cells = 2
    nervous system = 1+1
    question on krebs = 2
    iquanas = 1+1
    pupa = 2 + 1
    kinesis= 1+2

cn't remember rest of q's BUT this is maximum and in relaity i think i have 32 raw marks coz i'm being generous up there omg i have been crying soooooooo much since that biology exam :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coffee345)
    your results in other units are like all A's...what makes you think you got like 32 which is like an E? @[email protected]

stem cells = 2
    nervous system = 1+1
    question on krebs = 2
    iquanas = 1+1
    pupa = 2 + 1
    kinesis= 1+2

cn't remember rest of q's BUT this is maximum and in relaity i think i have 32 raw marks coz i'm being generous up there omg i have been crying soooooooo much since that biology exam :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hammd)

stem cells = 2
    nervous system = 1+1
    question on krebs = 2
    iquanas = 1+1
    pupa = 2 + 1
    kinesis= 1+2

what about the question on NAA? and the question on papayas?
    you'll be fine - dont worry

what do you need for uni?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.