Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jin3011)
    Aren't relevance marks for when when your answer is related to the question asked and does not go off topic. I think you mean you get breadth marks for mentioning different topics. Or have I been misguided
    Oh well.
    - regarding revelance, i wrote about the digestion system cos in the intestines the food is assimilated back into tissue is that right? so scared! that was my only unit 1 ref, then unit 5- homeostasis and unit 4- carbon cycle :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen-marie1992)
    - regarding revelance, i wrote about the digestion system cos in the intestines the food is assimilated back into tissue is that right? so scared! that was my only unit 1 ref, then unit 5- homeostasis and unit 4- carbon cycle :/
    how did you find the rest of the paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choc1234)
    how did you find the rest of the paper?
    - well I know I did well in most qs i answered but i wasnt taught chapter 15 or 16 so i didnt answer 17marks worth of questions, i was retaking AS exams when those were taught so tried to teach myself and ran out of time basically. overall it wasnt a bad paper I just didnt have the knowledge. how about you? I was supposed to get a A but I reckon D or below tbh.

ReputationRep:
    someone asked earlier for the q's - i remember the ones i think i got right lol

restriction mapping - number = 2 , gel electrophoresis - smaller fragmentsmove further distances so 1kb fragment will be smallest and furthest moved, partial digestion - fragments of other lengths produced so when joined back together the overall map will be larger or smaller than it should be. here i i think i got 3 marks?

oestrous cycle- section - B , role of progesterone - inhibits fsh and lh so follicles cant develop and also ovulation cant occur, lh and positive feedback (cant rememb this q) and then another q i cant rememb - this was a good question - i hope i got 5 marks here.

nervous/hormonal stuff - difference in the map - nervous was quicker and not as long lasting as hormonal, role of acetylcholine in unidirectionality which is that it is only preoduces in the presynaptic neurone and only attaches to receptors on the postsynaptic nuerone i think, how chemical mediators travel - i think through blood plasma overall i think 5 marks here from what i remember i got right

siRNA question : Transcriptional factors - allow transcription to occur by binding to specific region on the DNA asnd stimulating RNA polymerase and hence stimulating transcription to occur, a question on mRNA being complementary and hence it can bind to siRNA strand, how siRNA works - cant remember this question, and also how siRNA used to cure disease which is by blocking the gene and prevent it from beinf translated. i think i got 5v marks hopefully here - the full q out of 7/8 i think

seeds questions : ratio was 5:1 , i forgot to put about meiosis in the sexually reproducing q which is killing me til this very day lol, the evidence of totipotency which is that the callus can differentiate inot a whole plant and into different organs, and the advantage was that they are quicker to produce (they are lots others) here i think i got 4 marks IF the ratio is correct - i hopeeee

the body temp/iguana questions : why iguanas pant was because the saliva evaporates and takes heat with it along a waterpotential gradient colling them down, kinesis question i think and another description questions which i cant remember but i think i got 4 marks here altogether?

genetics : missing words were ribose and phosphate, complementary sequence, diff between mrna and trna was that trna is smaller (lots others ofcourse) i think i got the % wrong and the description of why there are more bases in the middle wrong also - so overall 3 marks here.

leaves question : i did awful here : there was a describe questions so may be one mark and also stomatol pores on the underside so overall 2 marks - im pretty sure i got everything else wrong!

lets not even talk about the PUPA questions lol - hopefully i picked up 3 marks here if even that!

essay was quite good - spent one hour on it hopefully achieved around ~21

altogether i think i have around 54 raw marks?

anyone think this will be about 105 ums !! ?

by the way some questions i havent mentioned are probs the ones im certain i got wrong or forgotten

ReputationRep:
    also would be really helpful if someone gave some feedback thanks!

ReputationRep:
    this is pathetic buuut.. my bio teacher freaked me out. i was talking to him about the cycle essay saying how i was happy it came up cus we had done a practice essay on it a few days earlier and he said 'yes but the question wasn't the same so you wouldn't write what you wrote in the other cycle essay'
    i was like :O WTFFF
    i wrote 9 cycles in detail and used up all pages provided.... i swear the question gave some splurge about what a cycle was and then said 'discuss cycles in biology'? so surely writing in detail about 9 cycles is fine?! GAHH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by empop92)
    this is pathetic buuut.. my bio teacher freaked me out. i was talking to him about the cycle essay saying how i was happy it came up cus we had done a practice essay on it a few days earlier and he said 'yes but the question wasn't the same so you wouldn't write what you wrote in the other cycle essay'
    i wrote 9 cycles in detail and used up all pages provided.... i swear the question gave some splurge about what a cycle was and then said 'discuss cycles in biology'? so surely writing in detail about 9 cycles is fine?! GAHH
    thats exactly what i did! if we're going to lose any marks itll be for relevance so not many!

I am so scared about this exam... its so important, and yet I know I made mistakes. I think the essay went well but some of the other questions were horrid... like the 'pupa' ones.. :s
    Gaaaah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bright.Inspiration.)
    I am so scared about this exam... its so important, and yet I know I made mistakes. I think the essay went well but some of the other questions were horrid... like the 'pupa' ones.. :s
    Gaaaah.
    feeling the same! hey could u look up at my earlier post about the ans to some q's i think i got right. what do you think??

ReputationRep:
    AHHHHHH 5 weeks till results day!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by empop92)
    do you think we could still get around 21 marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzurai)
    AHHHHHH 5 weeks till results day!!!!
    how did it go for you?

ReputationRep:
    hey could someone comment on previous post on questions pleasr thanks

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an idea what will be the grade boundaries for bio5......I did very bad on this paper............It was very hard paper......Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Is there any link where I can find AQA biology paper and mark scheme if possible as edexcel papers and mark scheme are out......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgr8888)
    Does anyone have an idea what will be the grade boundaries for bio5......I did very bad on this paper............It was very hard paper......Thanks!
    hey it said previously around 56 for an A . what do you think? i think maybe 58/59 for an A...most people here found it hard.

Also, could you commenton the previous post i posted about some questions thanks

ReputationRep:
    hey it said previously around 56 for an A . what do you think? i think maybe 58/59 for an A...most people here found it hard.

Also, could you commenton the previous post i posted about some questions thanks
    I think it should be around 50 for an A cus my paper was like hell...I will hardly get 40 marks if I am lucky cus I did a lots of mistakes.....

ReputationRep:

Regarding your post for the ques ans I don't know what to say because I am completely blank now....I feel I am get a very very low grade in this unit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgr8888)
    I think it should be around 50 for an A cus my paper was like hell...I will hardly get 40 marks if I am lucky cus I did a lots of mistakes.....
    i really hope it is but i think 50 may be too low considering it was 62 last year! how do you think you performed on the essay? dont worry i found the paper complete hell aswell im hopeing i got around 55 raw marks so bad!

ReputationRep:
    i really hope it is but i think 50 may be too low considering it was 62 last year! how do you think you performed on the essay? dont worry i found the paper complete hell aswell im hopeing i got around 55 raw marks so bad!
    I think I will hardly get 40 marks if I am lucky I cried so much after this exam because I need a B overall and can't get it now.....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.