Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    Really regret leaving revision for this exam until yesterday, but I did sit the retake of BIOL4 yesterday and did so much revision/practice papers because I never really understood where you picked up marks etc.

So now I'm panicking, I can remember most things we went over, but in class we went over everything that wasn't DNA so briefly that I'm pretty much having to learn most of it. Ahhh. Technically, I only need to get half the UMS on this paper though to get a C, and that's without the resits I've just done (which I think I have improved my grades with). Always struggled with Biology, so a C would be an achievement for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiskeyinthejar)
    Really regret leaving revision for this exam until yesterday, but I did sit the retake of BIOL4 yesterday and did so much revision/practice papers because I never really understood where you picked up marks etc.

So now I'm panicking, I can remember most things we went over, but in class we went over everything that wasn't DNA so briefly that I'm pretty much having to learn most of it. Ahhh. Technically, I only need to get half the UMS on this paper though to get a C, and that's without the resits I've just done (which I think I have improved my grades with). Always struggled with Biology, so a C would be an achievement for me.
    snap, I resat Biol 4 too and now I'm screwed for Biol 5! I think I messed up 4 a bit as well (despite it being a really easy paper, akghshjdas) so I really need to make it up. Currently feel like crying, biol 5 is so big

ReputationRep:

I hope you get that C
    I'm in the same boat really, just started revising yesterday for biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xbabycakes)
    snap, I resat Biol 4 too and now I'm screwed for Biol 5! I think I messed up 4 a bit as well (despite it being a really easy paper, akghshjdas) so I really need to make it up. Currently feel like crying, biol 5 is so big
    what did you mess up on? i thought it was a very good paper.

also i'm using the CGP biology revision book, so so good!

ReputationRep:
    i started revision yesterday for bio5 too
    ive always struggled and if i get a C it will be an achievement for me

hate the dna stuff i understand bio until about chapter 14
    gel electrophoresis yawn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by User12399)
    what did you mess up on? i thought it was a very good paper.

also i'm using the CGP biology revision book, so so good!
    Some of the silly 1 mark questions, and then the mite question just went a bit tits up (lol.. speaking of 'great tits'..). Apart from that I think I did reasonably ok.. but I don't want to hedge my bets. I was planning on making up the marks on biol 5, but now I've left the revision so late I don't think I can!

ReputationRep:
    Please don't cry! I'm sure you'll do better than expected on Unit 4, it was a relatively easy paper but most people got stumped on the mites question. There's no point fretting over it now, it's done, nothing you can do. Put your best efforts into Unit 5 revision, and although there is a lot of content to cover make sure you do some synoptic revision as that could make a big difference in your grade.

Honestly, it's going to be fine! I have 2 psychology exams before BIOL5 too, ouch!

ReputationRep:
    Please don't cry! I'm sure you'll do better than expected on Unit 4, it was a relatively easy paper but most people got stumped on the mites question. There's no point fretting over it now, it's done, nothing you can do. Put your best efforts into Unit 5 revision, and although there is a lot of content to cover make sure you do some synoptic revision as that could make a big difference in your grade.

Honestly, it's going to be fine! I have 2 psychology exams before BIOL5 too, ouch!
    what was wrong with the mites question? i thought it was relatively easy.

ReputationRep:
    what was wrong with the mites question? i thought it was relatively easy.
    haha i can't even remember now, maybe I'm getting confused. A few people from college said to me yesterday that they struggled with it though I personally had to think about the cats question (not the actual crosses but the q's after) before I could answer it. I'm pretty confident I got the majority of the 15 marks at the end though, if not all of them

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have a list of synoptic essay titles that they could give/show me where to find them? thanks

ReputationRep:
    haha i can't even remember now, maybe I'm getting confused. A few people from college said to me yesterday that they struggled with it though I personally had to think about the cats question (not the actual crosses but the q's after) before I could answer it. I'm pretty confident I got the majority of the 15 marks at the end though, if not all of them
    I agree the cats one was a bit confusing. Rest was so easy compared to past papers! I have to thank AQA for not setting the crappy HSW questions!!

ReputationRep:

I have one Psychology exam! Do you do edexcel? If so.. I've only revised clinical, and haven't even touched issues and debates. Oh why are the exams so close together! Thanks for your advice Well I resat biol 1 and 4, so I've got most of synoptic revision done. Lets hope it will all go well. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I have one Psychology exam! Do you do edexcel? If so.. I've only revised clinical, and haven't even touched issues and debates. Oh why are the exams so close together! Thanks for your advice Well I resat biol 1 and 4, so I've got most of synoptic revision done. Lets hope it will all go well. Good luck
    Haha this is so weird, we're like exam twins! I resat BIOL1 too, and yeah I do edexcel psych! I'm resitting Unit 3 as well though, got a high B in Jan and want an A :rolleyes: Psych issues and debates aren't too hard thankfully, just quite a lot of information to remember but it's all stuff we've done before. Haven't started Unit 4 revision yet oops, gonna start tonight I think!

Back on topic, I have done a considerable amount of Biology now and am nearly on Genetics so feeling a little better about things today. Still a bit iffy on action potential though, it just wont stick with me.

ReputationRep:
    do plants respire???????????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben10)
    of course!!! You really taking biology or just trolling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben10)
    yes

ReputationRep:
    of course!!! You really taking biology or just trolling?
    i do bio lol i never rote that honest! :P

ohhhh btww what essay do you think is likely to come up

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know where we can get the january 2011 unit 5 paper and mark scheme? i need practice but only one unit 5 paper on the aqa website!!!

ReputationRep:
    There is no january 2011 paper. You can only do unit 5 in june.

ReputationRep:
    Are the statistical tests going to come up? Like chi squared and spearmans rank.

Could someone sum them up for me please as a precaution .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.