Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flux_Pav)
    Exactly what I was thinking. I hope it's right LOL
    Yep it's correct, It wouldn't make sense if the mother expressed the gene.

ReputationRep:
    right, locating harmful genes in dna:

1- test DNA amplified
    2- test DNA digested using endonuclease
    3- gel electrophoresis
    4- southern blot
    5- gel immersed in alkali
    6- because part of the base sequence of the harmful gene is known(dna sequencing), a probe can be produced that is complementary to this base sequence and so it will bind to any complementary fragments on the gel (dna hybridization)
    7- probe is radioactively labelled, so if it binds to a fragment, that dna sample has a harmful gene

is this correct?

ReputationRep:
    could someone help on what to include in these essays please the biological importance of water and the importance of hydrogen bonds in living organisms? (i think proteins structure and DNA anything else) ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sd2011)
    could someone help on what to include in these essays please the biological importance of water and the importance of hydrogen bonds in living organisms? (i think proteins structure and DNA anything else) ?
    Hydrogen bonds present in tRNA aswell.
    You can talk about how breaking these bonds will affect protein/dna/trna structure

ReputationRep:
    Hi all I don't know if this question has been asked before (sorry but I don't have time to go back though the thread and check) but how long as we supposed to spend on the synoptic essay question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skygirl999)
    Hi all I don't know if this question has been asked before (sorry but I don't have time to go back though the thread and check) but how long as we supposed to spend on the synoptic essay question?
    35 mins i think max

ReputationRep:
    About 45 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    The wolf question on june10 is a major wtf -.-

ReputationRep:
    Yay. I've finally learnt the blood glucose concentration control stuff

ReputationRep:
    Y'know the IAA chemical in plants, what do we actually need to know about it? In my textbook it just hints at the fact that IAA diffuses from the illuminated side to the shaded side (presumably stimulating the shaded side more, resulting in phototropism).. but not much else. If we do get a question on it, is it just something we're going to have to interpret? eesh, hate plants.

ReputationRep:
    suggest why somatic cell therapy more successful in treating diseases caused by a recessive allele than those caused by a dominant allele (2 marks)

ReputationRep:
    Really struggling with this unit :/
    What revision methods is everyone using? What works best for you...revision guides, textbooks, online resources?
    Also this sounds a bit weird but is there anyway how you can improve application skills for hsw and making links other than doing past papers? There's only a few.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flux_Pav)
    right, locating harmful genes in dna:

1- test DNA amplified
    2- test DNA digested using endonuclease
    3- gel electrophoresis
    4- southern blot
    5- gel immersed in alkali
    6- because part of the base sequence of the harmful gene is known(dna sequencing), a probe can be produced that is complementary to this base sequence and so it will bind to any complementary fragments on the gel (dna hybridization)
    7- probe is radioactively labelled, so if it binds to a fragment, that dna sample has a harmful gene

is this correct?
    Pretty much the book says immersed in alkali before southern blotting though. This makes sense, because one you do the blotting you can'r undo it. And the point of the alkali is to separate the strands to get single stranded dna for the probes to bind onto.

ReputationRep:
    it's a matter of personal choice really, i'm going to do it first because i hate the thought of running out of time.
    I'm going to spend 40 minutes on the essay (inc. 5 minute plan)
    then there is the 15 mark data handling question which i plant to spend maybe 20 minutes on.
    Then the rest of the hour and 15 i plan to spend doing the 60 marks worth of questions at the front.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alison1992)
    it's a matter of personal choice really, i'm going to do it first because i hate the thought of running out of time.
    I'm going to spend 40 minutes on the essay (inc. 5 minute plan)
    then there is the 15 mark data handling question which i plant to spend maybe 20 minutes on.
    Then the rest of the hour and 15 i plan to spend doing the 60 marks worth of questions at the front.
    What 15 mark data handling question? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehsponge)
    the first 60 marks of the paper is all the general stuff
    then the last 15 before the essay will be questions about a graph of piece of data, it's basically a massive how science works question.
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf...W-QP-JUN10.PDF

check out question 9.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you spent 45 minutes on the 25 mark essay, then you've got an hour and a half left for the other 75 marks (which is how long you get for a 75 mark paper for biol 4).

So I'm going to split it 90mins/45mins, but I suppose it's a matter of personal choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehsponge)
    There's one on every single biol 4 paper as well, the one just gone was the mite question and the shrew q, polecat q ectect. It's just the general HSW question, don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, yeah I see what you mean now I always hate those questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student777)
    Pretty much the book says immersed in alkali before southern blotting though. This makes sense, because one you do the blotting you can'r undo it. And the point of the alkali is to separate the strands to get single stranded dna for the probes to bind onto.
    aha thanks
    i knew i was wrong somewhere
    i always get the two steps mixed up

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.