Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    I'm fine with gene technology now. But there is so much you have to know within the unit and across the other units for synoptic essays. I feel sorry for the people who have exams on the same day

ReputationRep:
    Just glucose regulation left to go.. then synoptic revision for the essay. But I've got a psych exam the day before, oh my god can't wait for this to be over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xbabycakes)
    Just glucose regulation left to go.. then synoptic revision for the essay. But I've got a psych exam the day before, oh my god can't wait for this to be over!
    same, cannot wait!!

I have C4 on monday then this on wednesday then computing on thursday! CANNOT WAIT till these exams are done!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the effect adrenaline has on glycogen breakdown and synthesis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by User12399)
    same, cannot wait!!

I have C4 on monday then this on wednesday then computing on thursday! CANNOT WAIT till these exams are done!
    ahh, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cza)
    I've seen past questions on CFTR but they were from the old papers

and spec says "Candidates should be able to evaluate the effectiveness of gene therapy.", if they ask about treating cystic fibrosis you should probably know how it is defective in the first place im guessing?? not sure though!!
    Our teacher sent us a copy of the old spec and if u look on page 27 under gene therapy, its made clear they have to know about cystic fibrosis, with our spec theres no mention of it at all. So i dont think we do have to know about it

HTML Code:
    http://www.mrothery.co.uk/downloads/AQAbiolbspec.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hahaff)
    if their mission was to mess up peoples revision timetable they have succeded at that aswel
    what will be their next mission cant think but im sure the wil think of something
    Aren't they the ones bring in the super A* or something idiotic like that for GCSE? AQA are really something else! Mind you, my maths tutor is a chief examiner for AQA and he's absolutely lovely

ReputationRep:
    Really useful! thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jing_jing)
    Aren't they the ones bring in the super A* or something idiotic like that for GCSE? AQA are really something else! Mind you, my maths tutor is a chief examiner for AQA and he's absolutely lovely
    If they simply got rid of the A* and shifted the grade boundaries up, they wouldn't have to keep adding new grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineluctable)
    If they simply got rid of the A* and shifted the grade boundaries up, they wouldn't have to keep adding new grades
    Yes, I don't see why they feel the need to keep on adding new grades!

(Original post by xbabycakes)
    Does anyone know the effect adrenaline has on glycogen breakdown and synthesis?
    When adrenalin is released by the adrenal glands it binds to its receptor and causes a shape change that activates cyclic AMP. This activates another enzyme and that enzyme activates another one etc. until the enzyme that catalyses glycogenolysis.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain nerve impulse propagation along an axon for me? I get the Mexican flag analogy but not too sure on what happens in parts of the axon after it causes the next part to be depolarised?

Also how does having neurones with different threshold values help to percieve the size of a stimulus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rrelish)
    Hey
    Hmm good question, maybe it is because not ALL the receptors lose responsiveness but fewer than healthy people...
    and the second question, take a look at this website http://www.mcvitamins.com/diabetes.html it says in obesity less and less insulin is able to reach the receptors/insulin -responsive muscles, so there is not enough to meet demand.
    Not sure if it's just my computer, but the link doesn't appear to be working?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NRican)
    Can anyone explain nerve impulse propagation along an axon for me? I get the Mexican flag analogy but not too sure on what happens in parts of the axon after it causes the next part to be depolarised?

Also how does having neurones with different threshold values help to percieve the size of a stimulus?
    Once it causes the next part to depolarise it is then hyperpolarised, ensuring that the impulse can only travel in one direction.

Because of the 'all or nothing response' regardless of the size of the stimulus, the strength of the action potential produced is always the same given that it exceeds the threshold potential. By having neurones with different threshold values it helps perceive the size of the stimulus as different neurones will generate an AP with stimuli of different sizes.

ReputationRep:
    Are people 'revising' for the essay too? How on earth can you find the time to do that? This unit's massive enough, and along with other exams to revise for, it doesn't seem humanly possible to fit in synoptic/essay planning revision. Meh........think I'll just blag it. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Introverted moron)
    Are people 'revising' for the essay too? How on earth can you find the time to do that? This unit's massive enough, and along with other exams to revise for, it doesn't seem humanly possible to fit in synoptic/essay planning revision. Meh........think I'll just blag it. :cool:
    Agreed. I am completely overwhelmed by the A2 content. There is just so much of it. Its like memorising a dictionary.

But I'm sure I'll be begging for this much content after I get to uni.

ReputationRep:
    WTF are sense and antisense strand? I'm doing some questions and a questions asks this.??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickidougal)
    and me please
    could you send me your email coz i cant post it i've tried but its not coming up for some reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jing_jing)
    yep same my maths teacher is a cheif examiner for AQA
    i hate aqa :mad::mad: i hope they rot and let the proper exam boards ocr and edexcel take over

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know what % biol5 is of the final A Level mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickidougal)
    does anyone know what % biol5 is of the final A Level mark?
    46.76% of A2 so 23.38% of whole A Level, biggest of them all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.