Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hahaff)
    guys any predictions on what the essay questions cud be
    my bio teacher sed that genetics is a hot topic atm so cud be an essay question
    but i hope that isnt true
    im hoping it isnt an essay that involves alot from AS
    I hope it's something simple, such as a broad topic ie water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicetalbot)
    I hope it's something simple, such as a broad topic ie water
    It has to be a broad topic really...

edit: alright sorry negger - it has to be a really, really, really narrow topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyanohydrin)
    It has to be a broad topic really...
    Yeah, otherwise its not really synoptic and you cant bring in good breadth of knowledge
    Could somebody just check that this is how you would describe transcription and translation? thanks

Transcription
    1. Start of each gene is marked by a promotor region
    2. The section of the DNA that is to be transcribed is unwinded; hence exposing the DNA bases (unpaired)
    3. The mRNA nucleotides pair with the exposed bases via complementary base pairing
    4. RNA polymerase moves along one of the DNA strands forming an RNA sugar phosphate backbone - hence joining together the individual mRNA nucleotides forming pre-mRNA
    5. The DNA strand rejoins behind the RNA polymerase after transcription
    6. RNA polymerase reaches the stop codons and transcription stops

Translation
    1. A ribosome (composed of mainly rRNA and proteins) attaches to the mRNA strand in the cytoplasm at the initiation codon (AUG)
    2. A tRNA molecule with a complimentary anticodon to AUG (UAC) diffuses to the ribosome and attaches to the first mRNA codon by complimentary base pairing - the tRNa moleucle carries the relevant amino acid - in the case AUG the amino acid is methionine
    3. The next tRNA molecule attaches to the next codon in the same way
    4. A peptide bond forms between the first amino acid and the second amino acid the bond between the first amino acid and the tRNA molcule is cut
    5. The ribosome moves along one codon - allowing another tRNA to bond via complementary base pairing
    6. Step 4 occurs again
    7. Gradually a polypeptide chain of amino acids is built up by steps 4 and 5
    8. Translation stops when the ribosome reaches a stop codon - at this point the protein is released
    Really good answer , the only thing I'd say is that theres some detail you dont need, like most mark schemes ive seen for a 6 marker describing the processes will just start with 'DNA unzips', also you dont need to mention examples of codons as you have.
    I wish we'd get a 6 marker describing transcription and translation, but we won't .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LettersFromTheSky)
    Yeah, otherwise its not really synoptic and you cant bring in good breadth of knowledge

Really good answer , the only thing I'd say is that theres some detail you dont need, like most mark schemes ive seen for a 6 marker describing the processes will just start with 'DNA unzips', also you dont need to mention examples of codons as you have.
    I wish we'd get a 6 marker describing transcription and translation, but we won't .
    Yeah I hope so as well :adore:

ReputationRep:
    Where are you guys getting practise essay titles from? My teachers are useless and we have so far done like one practise essay on the specimen paper. Also, any ideas what's most likely to come up on wednesday?

ReputationRep:
    - Formed in respiration as the terminal electron acceptor oxygen accepts a proton and an electron

- Reactant in photosynthesis

- Explain the importance of photosynthesis and respiration and some uses of ATP (because of the respiration) and how photosynthesis provides the glucose for respiration

- Hydrolysis reactions - amino acids, carbohydrates

- Osmosis and how water enters cells (lipid bilayer, effect of water upon cells etc)

- Passage of water through a plant
    Thanks for that just thought of another one too...the role of antibiotics and how they prevent the synthesis of peptidoglycan, so that when water enters by osmosis, osmotic lysis occurs and the bacteria bursts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellmell)
    Where are you guys getting practise essay titles from? My teachers are useless and we have so far done like one practise essay on the specimen paper. Also, any ideas what's most likely to come up on wednesday?
    I have a feeling that it could be something to do with enzymes or polymers..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura123)
    Thanks for that just thought of another one too...the role of antibiotics and how they prevent the synthesis of peptidoglycan, so that when water enters by osmosis, osmotic lysis occurs and the bacteria bursts
    That rings some bells - Unit 2 right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jing_jing)
    I don't think so, just that it can be linked to breast cancer and therefore drugs which inhibit oestrogen can be used to treat breast cancer when caused by excessive amounts of oestrogen.
    Where does it say we need to know that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Destroyviruses)
    Where does it say we need to know that?
    It's in the NT book I think, one of my textbooks at any rate. Mind you, NT has a bit on cystic fibrosis we weren't taught in school so maybe it's just another application thing.

ReputationRep:
    That rings some bells - Unit 2 right?
    Yeeeah at the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jing_jing)
    It's in the NT book I think, one of my textbooks at any rate. Mind you, NT has a bit on cystic fibrosis we weren't taught in school so maybe it's just another application thing.
    Oh I always go by the specification only .

ReputationRep:
    I was just looking through the synopic questions which have been asked, and I noticed that a question on DNA has not come up yet, yet it is touched upon in every unit. If a question on DNA did come up, what would you write in an essay about it? (Presuming that is is a broad question?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura123)
    I have a feeling that it could be something to do with enzymes or polymers..
    :eek: Noooooooooooo. I would be so stuck on that!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey why dont we post up extra information related to but not on the spec?

Lets do a statement each. I'll start.

EPO is a hormone produced by the kidneys that stimulate cells in the bone marrow to mature into red blood cells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skygirl999)
    I was just looking through the synopic questions which have been asked, and I noticed that a question on DNA has not come up yet, yet it is touched upon in every unit. If a question on DNA did come up, what would you write in an essay about it? (Presuming that is is a broad question?)
    wow!! big topic

- Replication

- Translation

- Transcription

- Control by siRNA and transcription factors

- Talk about the attributes of genetic code (read as triplets, degenerate, universal etc)

- Prokaryote (plasmids) DNA and the differences with eukaryotes

- Mitosis & Meiosis (and crossing over etc)

- Founder effect/Bottlenecks etc

- Proteins/amino acid structure

- Chromosome numbers

- DNA hybridisation

- Enzymes

- Antibiotic Resistance

- Phenotypes/Genotypes and alleles

Big topic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Destroyviruses)
    Hey why dont we post up extra information related to but not on the spec?

Lets do a statement each. I'll start.

EPO is a hormone produced by the kidneys that stimulate cells in the bone marrow to mature into red blood cells.
    Can I reccomend this excellent video on stem cells for people with 20 minutes to spare....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yCIMk1x0Pk

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please differentiate between 'sticky ends' and 'blunt ends' in 2-4 lines please.
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    This may have already been mentioned but the spec says from chapter 16.5 we need know: "the use of gene therapy [is] to supplement defective genes"

The textbook goes quite indepth into CF and SCID but do we actually need to know about these specifically?

ReputationRep:
    Another question, do proto-oncogenes stimulate cell division by coding for growth factors. Or do growth factors attach to receptor proteins on cell membranes and via relay proteins switch on te proto-oncogenes which then cause DNA replication?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.