Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M.A.)
    :eek: Noooooooooooo. I would be so stuck on that!!
    -cellulose, beta glucose
    -glycogen ,alpha glucose
    -glycosydic bonds.
    -enzymes, maltase sucrase, galactase, amylase,lactose intolerance.

-DNA- dna helicase,polymerase.
    mRNA-codons.
    tRNA
    -proteins.-myosin/actin
    -peptide bonds.

Fatty acids, hdl, ldl, artheroma.

Stomach pH, protease resistant

Ermm what else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyanohydrin)
    wow!! big topic

- Replication

- Translation

- Transcription

- Control by siRNA and transcription factors

- Talk about the attributes of genetic code (read as triplets, degenerate, universal etc)

- Prokaryote (plasmids) DNA and the differences with eukaryotes

- Mitosis & Meiosis (and crossing over etc)

- Founder effect/Bottlenecks etc

- Proteins/amino acid structure

- Chromosome numbers

- DNA hybridisation

- Enzymes

- Antibiotic Resistance

- Phenotypes/Genotypes and alleles

Big topic!
    Wow! You got far more than me! Would you include all of these ideas though, or just try to pick one or two main ideas from each unit to talk about in depth? I'm always unsure as to the depth/breath question!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAshcroft)
    This may have already been mentioned but the spec says from chapter 16.5 we need know: "the use of gene therapy [is] to supplement defective genes"

The textbook goes quite indepth into CF and SCID but do we actually need to know about these specifically?
    Nope. Pick another disease you like . You really should have the specification at hand.

I think the textbook is using scid. To help with essay question as you can talkk about immunity then aswell. .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skygirl999)
    Wow! You got far more than me! Would you include all of these ideas though, or just try to pick one or two main ideas from each unit to talk about in depth? I'm always unsure as to the depth/breath question!
    Absolutely not! It would take me about two hours - I would pick maybe 5-6. Possibly 3-4 in loads of detail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Destroyviruses)
    -cellulose, beta glucose
    -glycogen ,alpha glucose
    -glycosydic bonds.
    -enzymes, maltase sucrase, galactase, amylase,lactose intolerance.

-DNA- dna helicase,polymerase.
    mRNA-codons.
    tRNA
    -proteins.-myosin/actin
    -peptide bonds.

Fatty acids, hdl, ldl, artheroma.

Stomach pH, protease resistant

Ermm what else?
    I'm pretty sure lipids aren't polymers- they're esters of gylcerol and 3 fatty acids. And are you sure tRNA is a polymer? I'm just checking, but they have a weird shape so i'm not sure. There's definitely enough there to write an essay on though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M.A.)
    :eek: Noooooooooooo. I would be so stuck on that!!
    Haha it sounds bad but i did a practice essay the other day and there's actually loads to say..everything about DNA, RNA, polysaccharides (starch, glucose, cellulose), protein structure and function, and then everything about lipids

ReputationRep:
    How well do we have to know our AS stuff? I know they call it the synoptic essay but surely we don't have to remember the AS stuff in great detail? Because I've tried writing some essays based on my AS knowledge and I haven't managed anything. I literally sat there for an hour staring at my paper. If we only need to make passing mentions without going in depth to AS material then I think I'd be ok.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Pick another disease you like . You really should have the specification at hand.

I think the textbook is using scid. To help with essay question as you can talkk about immunity then aswell. .
    Yeah I have got it to hand, it's just 'cause it goes in depth about wrapping it in lipids and all and it's not in the application section that made me wonder. Thanks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student777)
    I'm pretty sure lipids aren't polymers- they're esters of gylcerol and 3 fatty acids. And are you sure tRNA is a polymer? I'm just checking, but they have a weird shape so i'm not sure. There's definitely enough there to write an essay on though.
    I asked my teacher about this, lipids and RNA are both polymers (tRNA is just a single polynucleotide chain folded into a clover leaf shape by hydrogen bonds)

ReputationRep:
    Hey why dont we post up extra information related to but not on the spec?

Lets do a statement each. I'll start.

EPO is a hormone produced by the kidneys that stimulate cells in the bone marrow to mature into red blood cells.
    This is more for the people who do chemistry.
    Rods contain a photochemical pignment called rhodopsin. This is a complex protein, opsin, joined to a light-absorbing component called retinene.
    When light strikes retinene, it changes from a cis isomer to a trans isomer. This initiates the splitting of rhodopsin into opsin and retinene. This triggers a chain of further reactions leading to excitation of the rod (generator potential).
    The resynthesis of rhodopsin from opsin and retinene is a series of reactions requiring ATP

If the question is on proteins, ATP or biochemistry, and you can remember all that, you may get those elusive top 2 marks

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not! It would take me about two hours - I would pick maybe 5-6. Possibly 3-4 in loads of detail.
    OK, thank you! I'm getting pretty worried about this essay question now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skygirl999)
    OK, thank you! I'm getting pretty worried about this essay question now!
    yeah, can't say I am looking forward to it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixiefairy)
    i have over 20 essays and analysis on them if anyone wants i can email it to them
    Would you be able to send it to me pleaseee?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, can't say I am looking forward to it..
    Are you planning on doing the essay question first and getting it out of the way, or last?

ReputationRep:
    This unit actually makes me want to kill myself. Chapter 16 is so ****ing boring.
    Also I can't remember most of AS. Like Immunity, lipids or whatever. :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student777)
    Iguess lipids arent but fatty acids are.The hydrocarbon chain aye.
    But I mentioned lipids because I was getting all excited about the digestive system enzymes .
    Erm tRNA yes it's a polymer, defination of polymer is small repeting units joined together to make longer chains (something along the lines)

But it is because the nucleotides are monemrs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehsponge)
    This unit actually makes me want to kill myself. Chapter 16 is so ****ing boring.
    Also I can't remember most of AS. Like Immunity, lipids or whatever. :s
    Go through the spec and refresh yourslef. You'll be glad you did.

I love this unit! Its physiology!!!!!!!!!! But not fond of the essay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixiefairy)
    i have over 20 essays and analysis on them if anyone wants i can email it to them
    Oh me too si vous plais!!!

Email

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAshcroft)
    Yeah I have got it to hand, it's just 'cause it goes in depth about wrapping it in lipids and all and it's not in the application section that made me wonder. Thanks anyway.
    You'll need to know about liposomes and vectors.

ReputationRep:
    Can I reccomend this excellent video on stem cells for people with 20 minutes to spare....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yCIMk1x0Pk
    Thanks. Dude. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm very pleased with you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.