Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student777)
    This is more for the people who do chemistry.
    Rods contain a photochemical pignment called rhodopsin. This is a complex protein, opsin, joined to a light-absorbing component called retinene.
    When light strikes retinene, it changes from a cis isomer to a trans isomer. This initiates the splitting of rhodopsin into opsin and retinene. This triggers a chain of further reactions leading to excitation of the rod (generator potential).
    The resynthesis of rhodopsin from opsin and retinene is a series of reactions requiring ATP

If the question is on proteins, ATP or biochemistry, and you can remember all that, you may get those elusive top 2 marks
    Thankyou, you lovely lady!

ReputationRep:
    Mast cells produce histamine when damaged. (chemical mediator) This causes inflamation of the capillaries making them more permeable so more phagocytes can come through and engulf cellular debris/pathogens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skygirl999)
    Are you planning on doing the essay question first and getting it out of the way, or last?
    I don't know - I think I don't do very well right at the start of the exam and I get more into the swing of it. I'm 100% going to leave a designated amount of time (45 minutes?) to do the essay..

ReputationRep:
    I DONT WANNA READ NOTESSSSSSSSSS :cry:

ReputationRep:
    this is so ****ing boring!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyanohydrin)
    this is so ****ing boring!!
    i hate reading the same thing over and oveerrr))

Lets google what GABA does.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know - I think I don't do very well right at the start of the exam and I get more into the swing of it. I'm 100% going to leave a designated amount of time (45 minutes?) to do the essay..
    My teacher said to try for 35 minutes (5 minutes planning, 30 writing) and you can go over by 5 if you need to (obviously presuming you do the essay first!)

ReputationRep:
    My teacher said to try for 35 minutes (5 minutes planning, 30 writing) and you can go over by 5 if you need to (obviously presuming you do the essay first!)
    hmm yeah that's not a bad idea. i wish we had more past papers to practice :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    How can you concentrate on the essay knowing theres a bunch of questions to do!!!!

ReputationRep:
    If you could remove one topic from the spec for Unit 5, what one would it be?
    Deffo DNA Technology for me!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scarface-Don)
    agreed, it's so boring - maybe muscles as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Destroyviruses)
    How can you concentrate on the essay knowing theres a bunch of questions to do!!!!
    how could you concentrate on the questions knowing there is a big juicy essay!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Destroyviruses)
    Reverse that: how do you concentrate doing 4 and 5 mark questions when you know that 25% of your marks are sitting in the back in essay form?!?! Either way it doesn't really matter, you have to do both!

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think time is better spent learning content... The essay is only 25%, yes that's a lot but that still leaves 75% of stuff on this topic!

I'm personally more worried about HSW, I can never get the wording right

ReputationRep:
    http://www.livingscience.co.uk/Year13.html

^ i found this address on another thread off last year if anyone needs essay examples and mark schemes just look at the back of the Module 678 Synoptic Past Papers at the bottom of the page.

ReputationRep:
    oestrous cycle, i like the rest. *geek*

ReputationRep:
    Reverse that: how do you concentrate doing 4 and 5 mark questions when you know that 25% of your marks are sitting in the back in essay form?!?! Either way it doesn't really matter, you have to do both!
    But theres 75% in questions. Questions that you know!

ReputationRep:
    Cant do essay with a cold brain, it'll break. I need to warm it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paintedsmile)
    http://www.livingscience.co.uk/Year13.html

^ i found this address on another thread off last year if anyone needs essay examples and mark schemes just look at the back of the Module 678 Synoptic Past Papers at the bottom of the page.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Everything but the stuff on the nervous system.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.