The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

So I couldn't concentrate at all on bio5 because all the muscle contraction stuff was frustrating me. :frown: I revised chem5 instead which I found productive. But I'm getting into biology proper now. Good luck to all you lot!
Original post by Flux_Pav
look at the spec 3.5.7

'evaluate the use of stem cells in treating human disorders'
someone explain ? :s-smilie:

Stem cells can be useful for treatment of inherited disorders like cystic fibrosis, SCID, also incurable diseases like Parkinsons.

Uses either germ-line (embryo) cells or somatic stem cells (adult bone marrow).

Pros and cons of this type of treatment are on pg 238 of the NT book (HSW).
Original post by Flux_Pav
look at the spec 3.5.7

'evaluate the use of stem cells in treating human disorders'
someone explain ? :s-smilie:

I think here it wants you to evaluate the usefulness of using stem cells - do they work? I would also write about the ethical issues surrounding the use of stem cells to treat disorders.
Original post by flowerscat
In vivo = within the body
In vitro = outside the body (ie. in the laboratory)

Lol thanks but I meant the process. :teehee:
I understand step one but not step two or three. :/
Original post by diskohuelga
So I couldn't concentrate at all on bio5 because all the muscle contraction stuff was frustrating me. :frown: I revised chem5 instead which I found productive. But I'm getting into biology proper now. Good luck to all you lot!

Same!! i finally understand muscle contraction now though! =D

although not really got into biol 5 yet due to massive headache :frown:
hopefully itll go okay tho!

Good luck in chem 5 as well! =D
Now that C4 is done it is time to panic about bio...
where can we find some past papers?! there's like the specimen one which has loads of mistakes and then the last summer paper...
there are past aqa biology papers but which specification should we use and which papers are revelant to unit 5?
help!
Reply 1007
Gosh, there's so much content in the actual unit itself, but on top of that it's synoptic :afraid: I cannot wait to get this last exam over and done with, however much i'm dreading the paper.
Yeah agreed, there is far too much to learn for this unit. :frown:
Original post by Master.K
Lol thanks but I meant the process. :teehee:
I understand step one but not step two or three. :/

What do you mean by step 2 & 3?
yup wayyyyyy too much to learn! unlike Chem5! there is like nothing to learn in comparison to this! cant wait to just get it over and done with!
Reply 1011
Original post by Sparkly-Star
Now that C4 is done it is time to panic about bio...

Sammeee :smile:. after bio got chem and physics though :/
i have a question
is it worth it to revise for the synoptic topics i knw that there was alot of marks and the essay and stuff
i just finished revision for bio5 today
ive got the time to revise one or mayb two of the synoptic units
shud i revise unit 1 , 2 or 4
im thinking unit4 but what do u lot think im not to sure
i really cant for this exam to be over
the only way i think il get a good grade is if the grade boundaries are real low
Original post by cheekymon999
yup wayyyyyy too much to learn! unlike Chem5! there is like nothing to learn in comparison to this! cant wait to just get it over and done with!

Chem 5 is huge imo! :p: Even though there is like 5 chapters, chapter 15 is big. :p:
Reply 1015
Another thought, how long are we actually supposed to spend on the essay? Would half an hour be long enough? :confused:
Original post by ellmell
Another thought, how long are we actually supposed to spend on the essay? Would half an hour be long enough? :confused:

it depends on how long is needed
but my plan is to spend about 40 mins on the essay and 20 on the question before the essay and the rest of the time on other questions
i dont think there is enough time for this exam tbh
Original post by diskohuelga

I was doing muscle contraction earlier, I don't find it too bad actually. If you need any help with it just ask, as it will help me learn it too :biggrin:
Reply 1018
Yes time is pressed in this exam, but it is not to much of an issue as long as you manage it properly. Try not to get too bogged down on 1 and 2 mark questions if any are eluding you, sitting and staring at them for minutes on end only wastes time, and be strict as to when you will move onto the essay. Give yourself plenty of time and if you feel you have written a good essay with time to spare simply return to the other questions.

Well that is the advice out teachers has been drumming into us for a month :P
Ew, I just did the specimen paper. Everything was going fine, and then suddenly APPLICATION QUESTION. I got like 4 marks out of 15. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending