Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby :))
    Urgh panicking big time for this exam.
    Although its my last one <3 Horrayy!
    Same and same!
    I cant wait to have a social life again!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone test me on Oestrous cycle? Just finished reading through it, think I've got it.

ReputationRep:
    urm n rican. spill... give us the role of the 4 hormones, where they are made. and there jobs in the cycle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpet21)
    Hey, I haven't even attempted a synoptic essay yet and I have no idea what can come up. There's no way I can look over other units now as I'm still doing unit 5, but does anyone pleeease have a list of essay plans or something? I'm sure there are some in this thread but I tried trawling through 74 pages and it's pretty tough!
    Just look over basic things, diffusion, osmosis, general things that sort of complement the unit 5 stuff. But don't worry too much there's 3 marks just for being able to coherently structure yourself so even if you haven't got much breadth in your content as long as it's accurate and presented clearly you'll get a decent mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NRican)
    Can anyone test me on Oestrous cycle? Just finished reading through it, think I've got it.
    What do FSH and LH stand for?
    Where is FSH produced and where is Oestrogen produced?
    Name four effects of oestrogen (Only three are t do do with the oestrous cycle)
    Name three ways you could tell that Ovulation had occured from a graph of hormone concentrations

ReputationRep:
    expalain the negative and positive feed back in the oestraous cycle? 6mks

ReputationRep:
    which hormones are used in the single (hormone) contraceptive pill and which ones are used in the double(hormone) contraceptive pill? and why?

ReputationRep:
    I find homeostasis questions ever so difficult! How do we answer them? :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    An essay on DNA would be amazing too. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shirin123)
    urm n rican. spill... give us the role of the 4 hormones, where they are made. and there jobs in the cycle
    FH- causes follicles to develop and small amounts of oestrogen (Pit. gland)
    LH- causes ovulation - indirectly produces progesterone. (Pit. gland)

Oestrogen - repairs uterus lining, inhibits FSH and LH upto a critical point where through positive feedback it causes a surge in LH production. (produced by follicles in ovaries)

Progesterone - Maintains lining and inhibits FSH/LH. (produced by corpus luteum in ovaries)

(Original post by Vidja)
    Name four effects of oestrogen (Only three are t do do with the oestrous cycle)
    Name three ways you could tell that Ovulation had occured from a graph of hormone concentrations
    Stimulates transcription by removing inhibitor from binding site of Tfactor. Inhibits FSH and LH upto a critical point when it causes LH levels to surge . Rebuilds uterus lining

Where LH levels are highest, I dunno about the rest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerscat)
    which hormones are used in the single (hormone) contraceptive pill and which ones are used in the double(hormone) contraceptive pill? and why?
    progesterone because .................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkly-Star)
    Yeah
    hiya , do you know which paper from the previous spec is most relevant to the current unit 5 paper???

ReputationRep:
    FH- causes follicles to develop and small amounts of oestrogen (Pit. gland)
    LH- causes ovulation - indirectly produces progesterone. (Pit. gland)

Oestrogen - repairs uterus lining, inhibits FSH and LH upto a critical point where through positive feedback it causes a surge in LH production. (produced by follicles in ovaries)

Progesterone - Maintains lining and inhibits FSH/LH. (produced by corpus luteum in ovaries)
    u nailed it. expect an A in the menstuation stuff :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_habib)
    expalain the negative and positive feed back in the oestraous cycle? 6mks
    Follicles secrete small amounts of oestrogen - causing inhibition of FSH and LH (neg. feedback), As follicles grow more oestrogen produced and once it reaches a critical point it causes a surge in LH (positive feedback). Progesterone maintains uterus lining also inhibits FSH and LH (neg. feedback)

If its a 6 marker in the exam I'll go into more detail.

thanks for the questions guys,

Here's one on DNA-

Explain why it would be an advantage to obtain the gene from the mRNA rather than from the DNA?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how a contraceptive pill works?

ReputationRep:
    Where LH levels are highest, I dunno about the rest?
    Firstly, progesterone levels will rise. Progesterone cannot be produced without a corpus luteum, and that is created through ovuluation, so a rise in progesterone shows ovulation.

Secondly, a fall in oestrogen. Since oestrogne is released from the growing follicles, when ovulation ocurs, it can no longer be produced. During and after ovulation, expect oestrogne levels to fall.

And, obviously, LH will be high, like you said.

An application question like this was in either the specimen paper or the Juen paper I can't remember. I think it asked for one way you could tell that doesn't involve LH.

ReputationRep:
    mRNA is cytoplasm so easier to extract
    also, DNA contains introns whereas mRNA doesn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l4ith)
    Do you have the CGP book? It has that stuff in it
    nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura123)
    Does anyone know how a contraceptive pill works?
    i knw cud be one of those random questions that aqa ask
    anyone the pill contains hormones low amounts of oestrogen and progestrone
    this is because so that the FSH and LH release will be inhibited by progestrone so follicles cant develop and ovulation cannot happen
    i think thats right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vidja)
    Page 152 of the AS textbook if you're interested
    i dont have the AS book but i do have the cgp txtbook so i will look it up

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.