Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NRican)
    I am a bit confused about Ca ions, T-tubules and the sarco reticulum. I know how it contracts but how does a Ca ion come into contact with the tropomyosin (pathway)?
    The calcium ion binds to tropomyosin and removes it which reveals the binding site on actin for the myosin heads to bind to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RMS184)
    It involves cutting DNA with a series of different restriction endonucleases. The fragments that have been cut off are seaprated by gel electrophoresis. Then the Recognition Sites can be determined by the patterns that each fragment produces.
    How does looking at the recognition sites help put the fragment back together?

:s

ReputationRep:
    Start off a question ping pong!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkly-Star)
    The calcium ion binds to tropomyosin and removes it which reveals the binding site on actin for the myosin heads to bind to.
    Yeah thanks I get that but I was more concerned with the pathway of Ca ions? and reabsorbtion while muscle is relaxed?

(Original post by RMS184)
    Start off a question ping pong!?
    Name all the enzymes involved with DNA in our syllabus and their function

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thanks I get that but I was more concerned with the pathway of Ca ions? and reabsorbtion while muscle is relaxed?
    Haha, I know which bit you mean now. After doing loads of exam questions on this chapter I just ignored the bit about T - Tubulus and so on. :p: I didn't see anything about it. You only need to know that energy is require for the re - absorption of calcium ions.

ReputationRep:
    do we have to know about cystic fibrosis and CFTR, its in the textbook but not in the specification ???

ReputationRep:
    I've been over mod 2 and 4 in detail a couple weeks ago, but havent had time for mod1. I have so much to get through today by tomorrow...its killing me what would you guys suggest doing for mod 1? Just reading over or would you suggest going over certain topics in detail? I wish I had one more day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cws121)
    do we have to know about cystic fibrosis and CFTR, its in the textbook but not in the specification ???
    No just how Gene therapy works and its effectiveness but might come in useful for the essay as it involves movement of water and ions

ReputationRep:
    I haven't worried about synoptic essays up till now. Unit 5 is big enough without having the learn the material from the other units...fml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry_cake)
    I've been over mod 2 and 4 in detail a couple weeks ago, but havent had time for mod1. I have so much to get through today by tomorrow...its killing me what would you guys suggest doing for mod 1? Just reading over or would you suggest going over certain topics in detail? I wish I had one more day
    You need mod 5 in detail.

mod1,2,4 you just need to know main stuff. not details. ffs essay is only 25 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cws121)
    No. I think they put it in there because it was in the old specification

ReputationRep:
    I am a bit confused about Ca ions, T-tubules and the sarco reticulum. I know how it contracts but how does a Ca ion come into contact with the tropomyosin (pathway)?
    the electric impulse makes Ca ions from the sarco reticulum, travelles down the t-tubules made of sarcolemma (muscle membranes folding inwards)
    the Ca ions binds to troponin which changed the shape of tropomyosin making the binding site free

ReputationRep:
    BIOL1 is probably the most important one aswel for synoptic, it has all the core principles, revise the biochemistry stuff and digestion as that can be included in a lot of essays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sumsam)
    what would be your dream essay? mine would the different ways in which an organism uses ATP? or about basic cell cycle/structure. OR 'TELL ME 25THINGS YOU'VE LEARNT IN BIO!
    hehe! :rolleyes:If only... *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    guys what is 80UMS and 120 UMS in terms of marks out of 100?

ReputationRep:
    Discuss the benefits and limitations of genetic engineering. (25 marks).

Anyone dare to offer up a plan?

I guess you wouldn't be allowed to use gene sequencing and probes since that's not really recombinant DNA technology...

ReputationRep:
    Let's pray that an enzymes essay will come up.

EDIT: so why did my optimism get negged?

ReputationRep:
    why is everybody so sure about this enzymes essay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineluctable)
    No. I think they put it in there because it was in the old specification
    what do we have to know about gene therapy then, just thats it replaces defective genes, because thats all it says

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineluctable)
    Let's pray that an enzymes essay will come up.
    I will personally buy everyone a drink on here if it does Please AQA...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.