Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    hi
    our school hasnt provided us with any past paper questions (as in from the old syllabus aswell)
    has anybody got any links for this
    i would be extremly grateful
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choc1234)
    hi
    our school hasnt provided us with any past paper questions (as in from the old syllabus aswell)
    has anybody got any links for this
    i would be extremly grateful
    thanks
    Theres a link with a 500 page Word document in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Really worried about the essay bit

ReputationRep:
    Ok, an idea from another thread now. Let's help each other out with revision!

I'll ask a revision question, someone should answer it and ask another question in the same post.

To start off: What are the parts of a sarcomere?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! has anyone got the Jan 2010 biology unit 5 question paper?

any help much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RS23)
    Hey! has anyone got the Jan 2010 biology unit 5 question paper?

any help much appreciated
    Don't think there was one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student777)
    Ok, an idea from another thread now. Let's help each other out with revision!

I'll ask a revision question, someone should answer it and ask another question in the same post.

To start off: What are the parts of a sarcomere?
    The sarcomere is the distance between adjacent Z-lines, so it doesn't really have parts? Unless I've misunderstood the question? :confused:
    What are the three main stages of the polymerase chain reaction, and its main advantages over the in vivo method of gene cloning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silentgem)
    The sarcomere is the distance between adjacent Z-lines, so it doesn't really have parts? Unless I've misunderstood the question? :confused:
    What are the three main stages of the polymerase chain reaction, and its main advantages over the in vivo method of gene cloning?
    Heat to 95C to break hydrogen bonds. Cool to 55C to allow hydrogen bonds to recreate between DNA stand and primer. Heat to 72C as this is the optimum temperature for the Hot springs bacteria's DNA polymerase to function. It attaches the bases to each split DNA strand.
    In vitro is much quicker, and it can be used when very little genetic material is present (Such as at a crime scene).

Describe the two methods of identifying and isolating DNA fragments for recombinant gene technology (Each mthod uses a certain enzyme)

ReputationRep:
    i havent even started revising for this yet... makes me worried

also are there really no jan2010 or Jan2011 past papers? because there is a jan2011 paper for chem5?!??!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa65)
    i havent even started revising for this yet... makes me worried
    Samee; I'm so jelus of the other peoplee !!
    We neeed to ge revisin ....

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazii)
    Samee; I'm so jelus of the other peoplee !!
    We neeed to ge revisin ....

xx
    i know tell me about it! i have a resit on monday for biol1 so i need to get that out of the way first!

ReputationRep:
    what kind of ums do you guys need in this exam to get an A over all ?
    im really worried
    i need quite high!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choc1234)
    what kind of ums do you guys need in this exam to get an A over all ?
    im really worried
    i need quite high!
    115. fml.

ReputationRep:
    I need 80 UMS. We still need to finish homeostasis and feedback atm, I've nearly made all my notes in all subjects, time to start hardcore revision! Questions, questions and more questions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silentgem)
    I was thinking the I bands, H zones etc... never mind

(Original post by Vidja)

Describe the two methods of identifying and isolating DNA fragments for recombinant gene technology (Each mthod uses a certain enzyme)
    Use restriction endonucleases to cut up a desired gene and insert it into a plasmid. Then insert the plasmids into bacteria. Use marker genes (antibiotic resistance, fluorescent proteins etc) to identify which bacteria have the desired gere.

That's one method... I really need to read up on this xD

For other people: Briefly describe what happens to proteins on the cell membrane during an action potential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student777)
    Would be appreciated if someone tells me which paper has got some questions about Diagnosis-Treatment-prevention of cancer nd genetic disorder!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.M 27)
    115. fml.
    i know how u feel

ReputationRep:
    Are there really no January Unit 5 papers? Because Chemistry has January Unit 5 papers. Why wouldn't Biology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrubby)
    Are there really no January Unit 5 papers? Because Chemistry has January Unit 5 papers. Why wouldn't Biology?
    Because AQA are foolish and don't do January papers for the big unit so we literally only have the old spec + Jun10 to go off :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyuHADOUKEN)
    Because AQA are foolish and don't do January papers for the big unit so we literally only have the old spec + Jun10 to go off :/
    But I do AQA Chemistry as well and they have January papers so naturally I assumed it would be the same for Biology. It is a little unfair though, it's true. I thought Chemistry didn't do Unit 2 or Unit 5 January exams either until I found the Unit 5 ones recently. So maybe there are Biology Unit 5 ones which have been hidden away.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.