Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    12.91%
    NO!
    87.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NRican)
    Anyone help me answer Q4cii here http://live.kerboodle.com/NT3/NTLS_R...est_launch.pdf
    TGGTC, stops after the first cytosine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Hayley.)
    How are people revising for the essay part? Ive gone through some AS and unit 4 stuff but dont know what else to do :/ ???

Thanks
    I've basically done the same thing, and i've tried finding some articles/examples out of the spec too, bbc sci/environment is really helpful for that, it's got some great articles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gorillaz121)
    TGGTC, stops after the first cytosine.
    Actually I've got it now, it will be AC because its from the opposite base pair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tericon)
    Four fragments made, so draw a line like this : ------------------- and then mark it until you get four fragments, like this:

----I-------I----------I------ = three
    Thanks so much !

ReputationRep:
    Actually I've got it now, it will be AC because its from the opposite base pair.
    Yup AC looks good .

ReputationRep:
    I really doubt Oestrous cycle is going to come up this time. Which is good! It was one of the main questions in June 2010.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, seriously. Did Unit 1 actually happen, because I remember NOTHING.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by User12399)
    I really doubt Oestrous cycle is going to come up this time. Which is good! It was one of the main questions in June 2010.
    I really hope your right! I hate the oestrous cycle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by appleschnapps)
    Read over it again, you will find it comes back to you fairly easily depending on how well you learned it back then!

ReputationRep:
    How do I work out how many sequences are made in like say 6 cycles when starting from 2 strands of DNA?

ReputationRep:
    What was the unit was the essay on the old spec? God knows how many pdfs ive downloaded trying to find essay MSs

ReputationRep:
    Here's a little revision tip I learned from someone- if you're struggling with long processes eg. transcription, fingerprinting, contraction or just want to make sure you remember them all correctly, then apparently the best way to do it in a short period of time is half an hour before going to bed write out everything you know without looking at the book, now look at the book and make corrections and - make sure this is the last thing you do before going to bed, then in the morning re-read the book if you have time.

It may sound weird but it's worked for me so far

ReputationRep:
    How do I work out how many sequences are made in like say 6 cycles when starting from 2 strands of DNA?
    Its doubled every time.

so cycle 1= 2 x 2 (as two strands) = 4

cycle 2 = 4 x 2 = 8

cycle 3 = 8 x 2 = 16

cycle 4 = 16 x 2 = 32

cycle 5 = 32 x 2 = 64

cycle 6 = 64 x 2 = 128

ReputationRep:
    wouldn't it actually be AGC ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by appleschnapps)
    Same I just started going over the immunity stuff, I can't remember any of it :/ Are you going to try and read over it all? Or just some main topics? Too much to get done

ReputationRep:
    gah, hate this essay!

ReputationRep:
    I'm dreading the exam tomorrow (Like if all the questions are about everything I DON'T know)

So gonna cram some more right now. At least it's my last exam.

ReputationRep:
    can someone please please help me on:
    stem cells!
    majorrrrrrrrrr rep!

ReputationRep:
    2^number of cycles X number of DNA strand
    So, 2^6 X 2 = 128

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Hayley.)
    How are people revising for the essay part? Ive gone through some AS and unit 4 stuff but dont know what else to do :/ ???

Thanks
    Helloooooo

I've got a list of past essay questions, and I'm making plans for each of them, then trying to remember the information i write down. Hopefully you can make what you know fit the title. you need to include info from 3 kingdoms, e.g. humans plants bacteria fungi etc. or from 3 different units e.g. unit 4 unit 5 unit 1. to get full breadth marks and I read that its important to be specifically biological in everything you say. For example if you got a question about hormones and you wanted to write about insulin production. rather than saying: 'insulin is released into the blood to remove glucose', you would say: 'insulin is released from the Beta cells of the islets of langerhans in the pancreas, where it is released into the blood to reduce glucose by...etcetcetc.' just adding contant detail where it's not really relavant shows you know alot of biology and thats all they want about synopicity really.

hope thats helpful!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.