Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam0311)
    Better entry requirements=better student quality.
    Not entirely true. My brother went to Lancaster university a few years ago. No one thought much of Lancaster then, now its rankled 6 in the UK on most if not all league tables and well above the Russell Group universities etc. The entry requirements when he went were not overly high - they would certainly have had people here rolling their eyes at it not being high enough or prestigious enough. That's why lists like this are largely redundant in my opinion. If it's not AAA then people disregard the university of start acting pretentious. Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    what about law at Exeter?
    some reviews please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shelf)
    Not entirely true. My brother went to Lancaster university a few years ago. No one thought much of Lancaster then, now its rankled 6 in the UK on most if not all league tables and well above the Russell Group universities etc. The entry requirements when he went were not overly high - they would certainly have had people here rolling their eyes at it not being high enough or prestigious enough. That's why lists like this are largely redundant in my opinion. If it's not AAA then people disregard the university of start acting pretentious. Ridiculous.
    To be fair, this is pretty irrelevant. The uni shifted in rankings. My post was focused more on UCAS averages, not necessarily entry requirements, should've phrased that better. For example, Durham and KCL are both AAA--But Durham's UCAS Law avg is 500 while KCL's is 460.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin6767)
    Academically that's possible but that isn't always the case. When I was at Oxford we had visiting students from Durham University and they were completely obnoxious pricks. They were so incredibly desperate to have others think they could get into Oxbridge but chose not to go, even referring to themselves as Doxbridge students. It went beyond pathetic. Although very qualified some of them weren't very bright at all. They wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the grades they did if they hadn't received an intensive private education. I don't mean to generalise Durham students, I'm sure some must be quite nice, but it is just my experience of them.
    This is why when approaching the issue, I looked more at general averages rather than one off anecdotes. But I see where you're coming from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lionboy)
    I knew someone would pick out scottish universities, i know edin, glas and aber all rate highly but there is great difficulty in defining the succes of scottish graduates of law who will likely walk into jobs in scotland than english law taught at universities in scotland who then decide to practice in the uk and have to compete with uk universities, it is too difficult to asses how well the scottish grads have done compared to those working or competing for jobs uk (and they def wont be the same !)-for law those three are completely dominant in scotland. So that is why i have not included them...sorry ??
    Aber is not a Scottish university - it is in Wales!

Anyway, I think it is fair enough to exclude Scottish unis from your list but I have noticed that Edinburgh non-law grads seem to be very popular with law firms. I always see loads when browsing "meet our trainees" type sections on firms' pages... (I probably notice it more as I am Edinburgh non-law myself )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)

Anyway, I think it is fair enough to exclude Scottish unis from your list but I have noticed that Edinburgh non-law grads seem to be very popular with law firms. I always see loads when browsing "meet our trainees" type sections on firms' pages... (I probably notice it more as I am Edinburgh non-law myself )
    I'm assuming the poster meant the other Aber - Abertay Dundee

ReputationRep:
    ohhh man wicked night out guys...thought id tell you all but yeh i meant aberdeen university its law requirements are AAA you have to be a moron to think any thing else.
    Law at exeter is really really good ...however im massively bias and drunk off my face so believe it to be the best uni in the country for law as im applying , guy who talks about scottish unis , please read last thread...iv already said its ner impossible to rate the success of people who practice law in scotland than in uk so get off my thread you . bender !!!!!! Finally stop having so many attachments to sussex PLEASE ...its campus shape is a cat a butterfly and some other weird animal and is in a poor area for grad prospects...stop making it to be better. Sussex does = Kent end of !!!!! much love tsr

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I have seen people talk about most universities with high entry requirements, and there opinion, but why don't you guys tell me why oxford brookes isn't listed in them for Law? I thought of applying there for Law since I heard it was good, but now I am starting to have second thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d.luffy)
    Ok so I have seen people talk about most universities with high entry requirements, and there opinion, but why don't you guys tell me why oxford brookes isn't listed in them for Law? I thought of applying there for Law since I heard it was good, but now I am starting to have second thoughts.
    Firstly because the OP has set an arbitrary limit of top 30 not top 24 or top 37.

Secondly, there really are a lot of law schools in this country; 90 according to the Guardian, and 91 according to the Times and the Sunday Times but neither of these league tables is complete.

Thirdly, as you may have noticed TSR has a bias against ex-polytechnics. The bias here is greater than that in "real life". That isn't to say that there isn't any real bias.

Brookes is consistently one of the top three or so ex-Polys for law. That doesn't mean that in a particular league table in a particular year it won't place differently but overall that will be its sort of place.

Because it is in Oxford and Oxford is a pleasant, albeit expensive, place to work and live, Brookes attracts a better faculty than some other universities. Oxford is also an attractive place to study therefore it gets lots of applications and can be more selective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)

:hello: Didn't realise you were another Edinburgh non-law grad, hmaus!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lionboy)
    ohhh man wicked night out guys...thought id tell you all but yeh i meant aberdeen university its law requirements are AAA you have to be a moron to think any thing else.
    Law at exeter is really really good ...however im massively bias and drunk off my face so believe it to be the best uni in the country for law as im applying , guy who talks about scottish unis , please read last thread...iv already said its ner impossible to rate the success of people who practice law in scotland than in uk so get off my thread you . bender !!!!!! Finally stop having so many attachments to sussex PLEASE ...its campus shape is a cat a butterfly and some other weird animal and is in a poor area for grad prospects...stop making it to be better. Sussex does = Kent end of !!!!! much love tsr
    applying to extetr for law? Got a conditional already..but i guess toelf or ielts is a pain in the arse, cos thats what they want fro me now. Meeh
    Sussex= Kent when it comes to law? I thought Kent is better from what i heard and from what i researched myself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Firstly because the OP has set an arbitrary limit of top 30 not top 24 or top 37.

Secondly, there really are a lot of law schools in this country; 90 according to the Guardian, and 91 according to the Times and the Sunday Times but neither of these league tables is complete.

Thirdly, as you may have noticed TSR has a bias against ex-polytechnics. The bias here is greater than that in "real life". That isn't to say that there isn't any real bias.

Brookes is consistently one of the top three or so ex-Polys for law. That doesn't mean that in a particular league table in a particular year it won't place differently but overall that will be its sort of place.

Because it is in Oxford and Oxford is a pleasant, albeit expensive, place to work and live, Brookes attracts a better faculty than some other universities. Oxford is also an attractive place to study therefore it gets lots of applications and can be more selective.
    I am not into the place or whatever about it is, though I did think about the oxford thing since it made think, that it should have at least some experience from oxford university...etc

But this doesn't interest me, I want to know about study wise in Law, if it is worth it going in that university or I should pick one from the list, the list is all straight AAA's, I mean what I can predict to my grades are AAB, or AAC something like that, and I don't know if I would fit in any of them.

ReputationRep:
    I am not into the place or whatever about it is, though I did think about the oxford thing since it made think, that it should have at least some experience from oxford university...etc

But this doesn't interest me, I want to know about study wise in Law, if it is worth it going in that university or I should pick one from the list, the list is all straight AAA's, I mean what I can predict to my grades are AAB, or AAC something like that, and I don't know if I would fit in any of them.
    Sorry I wasn't suggesting you should apply because of the dreaming spires. I was commenting on the effect they had on the quality of staff and students generally.

There is an article somewhere on TSR about attracting rejections which is all to do with making choices beyond your actual/predicted grades.

I don't think the list are all AAA and with AAC or AAB you should be able to choose universities with higher entrance requirements. However three years in a place you don't want to be is a dispiriting experience and is likely to have an impact on your grades.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I wasn't suggesting you should apply because of the dreaming spires. I was commenting on the effect they had on the quality of staff and students generally.

There is an article somewhere on TSR about attracting rejections which is all to do with making choices beyond your actual/predicted grades.

I don't think the list are all AAA and with AAC or AAB you should be able to choose universities with higher entrance requirements. However three years in a place you don't want to be is a dispiriting experience and is likely to have an impact on your grades.
    I see :P
    My predicted grades are most likely what I said, since I am taking french english and business, a multilingual student is very useful in Law, and business incase I want to become a business lawyer, though my question also which doesn't refer to this topic are my subject the right choice?

I've been really looking forward to go to university of brookes but it just seems that it isn't that good in law, after what you guys said, and yes I am totally with you in consisting about a place which is at least inspiring, I don't want to be in a camp jailed where I can't party at least once a week, or relax you know, but most of the universities listed are in a good spot, but at the moment what I am frustrated is the grades like C if it will affect me and if I can't get in one of the top universities in the UK and graduate as at least a ''Lawyer'', because some universities when you graduate you aren't considered a perfect lawyer because of the university you went to. My point is when you have a good background it helps you to get good jobs.

ReputationRep:
    I see :P
    My predicted grades are most likely what I said, since I am taking french english and business, a multilingual student is very useful in Law, and business incase I want to become a business lawyer, though my question also which doesn't refer to this topic are my subject the right choice?

I've been really looking forward to go to university of brookes but it just seems that it isn't that good in law, after what you guys said, and yes I am totally with you in consisting about a place which is at least inspiring, I don't want to be in a camp jailed where I can't party at least once a week, or relax you know, but most of the universities listed are in a good spot, but at the moment what I am frustrated is the grades like C if it will affect me and if I can't get in one of the top universities in the UK and graduate as at least a ''Lawyer'', because some universities when you graduate you aren't considered a perfect lawyer because of the university you went to. My point is when you have a good background it helps you to get good jobs.
    Business is seen as a "less favoured" subject for A level. The general rule is one but no more than one less favoured subject does not harm university admissions.

The key thing is to do subjects in which you will get the best grades.

It is perfectly possible to have a career as a solicitor at Brookes. One of the solicitors in my department is a Brookes graduate. Two of the partners at the firm across the road were.

However I don't want to play down the element of university prestige in making a career in law. Do not however become too hung up on league table rankings for individual years. Firms do not really consider them and certainly do not review them like football results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by street.lovin')
    I personally will put LSE above UCL just for LAW. Because that's what you are specifically looking at.

And will put Nottingham as 4th place or along side LSE.

http://www.legaleducation.org.uk/whe...study-law.html
    I wouldn't set so much store by a source written by someone who gets confused between 'sort'/'sought' and 'its'/it's'.

Besides, Notts is good for law, but not LSE level. The big three London colleges are the most reputable outside Oxbridge.

For the record, I don't wholly agree with the OP's ranking as you may be able to tell.

ReputationRep:
    Business is seen as a "less favoured" subject for A level. The general rule is one but no more than one less favoured subject does not harm university admissions.

The key thing is to do subjects in which you will get the best grades.

It is perfectly possible to have a career as a solicitor at Brookes. One of the solicitors in my department is a Brookes graduate. Two of the partners at the firm across the road were.

However I don't want to play down the element of university prestige in making a career in law. Do not however become too hung up on league table rankings for individual years. Firms do not really consider them and certainly do not review them like football results.
    Non solicitor is not what I want, basically both if it is possible, but It would be more preferable to me to become a barrister as this is where a lawyer can mostly be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Non solicitor is not what I want, basically both if it is possible, but It would be more preferable to me to become a barrister as this is where a lawyer can mostly be helpful.
    I think it is far too early to be making that sort of decision. By the time you are ready to practise the legal landscape is likely to be very different from today.

As a matter of courtesy I should say I don't answer private messages. Firstly what I say, I would wish to be of help to others and secondly there is a considerable age gap between myself and other members of this forum and I would therefore like to conduct all communication in public so that nothing is ever misconstrued.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is far too early to be making that sort of decision. By the time you are ready to practise the legal landscape is likely to be very different from today.

As a matter of courtesy I should say I don't answer private messages. Firstly what I say, I would wish to be of help to others and secondly there is a considerable age gap between myself and other members of this forum and I would therefore like to conduct all communication in public so that nothing is ever misconstrued.
    I totally understand your opinion, therefore, if you want to answer it here it is not a problem for me.

And I also understand it is too early for that to decide whether I will choose solicitor or barrister.

ReputationRep:
    I totally understand your opinion, therefore, if you want to answer it here it is not a problem for me.

And I also understand it is too early for that to decide whether I will choose solicitor or barrister.
    English and French are fine for A level choices. You should read this booklet

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/informed-choices/

Although it is published by only one group of univerities and may not be entitrely accepted by all universities, it provides a very good introduction.

You will need a balance in your university choices because some places won't give you offers even though you are expected to meet their standard requirement and because not everyone meets their offer. There is no reason why you shouldn't include Brookes as one of your choices.

My advice would be that you go on open days (or just visit) a number of places before choosing your choices. Aberystwyth, Manchester, Reading and London are very different places.

And follow TSR over the next year or so as other people in your position explore the same issues as you do.

It is for you, and not anyone around you, and certainly not me to tell you where to go. I have ended up at as a part-time mature post-graduate student at a university that I never thought about as an undergraduate in a place which I would certainly not wish to live in for three weeks let alone 3 years!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.