Turn on thread page Beta

Who else is annoyed at the phrase "knowledge is power"? watch

ReputationRep:
    The phrase may seem to make perfect sense at first but I hate it when it's the only thing that teachers pound into students whenever that practicality of what they're learning is questioned. Students begin to think that power and prestige are the only reason they're at school. I vividly remember one example of this when a very keen but arrogant classmate of mine was asked by the teacher to assist a rather dim person who was struggling to understand a particular topic. She answered with something along the lines of " Why should I help her? She will be part of the competition for university places at the end of this year."

How about going to school and learning to become a morally better and friendlier person. It's not as short and snappy as "knowledge is power" but at least it won't have the potential effect of making young people arrogant and selfish at minor academic achievements.

ReputationRep:
    I think you just encountered a not very nice person. Your experience has little to do with the phrase ' knowledge is power', but rather the way in which school children are told that success=everything.

ReputationRep:
    knowledge is power

but knowledge transcends the realms of morality/human awareness as well as brute practicality. The truly knowledgable are in tune with the basic, relative human life that we all lead, and can empathise with it. they are openminded, and keen to bring out the best in all around them to make a constructive, more efficient society.

It sounds like this classmate has a lot more to learn. Arrogance is a sign of ignorance of others and their value, as well as a foolish pride. he who knows all, knows nothing at all. never rest on your laurels, always strive to do better. theres no room for gloating when you have ambition.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get annoyed by it. But it's not always true.
    I despise the woman but,
    Katie Price has no knowledge, but has a lot of power over the media industry. She's very influential. But thick as a brick.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No; for the most part I agree.

ReputationRep:
    George Bush didn't have much knowledge, but he did have a lot of power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racheld25)
    I don't get annoyed by it. But it's not always true.
    I despise the woman but,
    Katie Price has no knowledge, but has a lot of power over the media industry. She's very influential. But thick as a brick.
    I think she does have knowledge though, just not in an academic sense. She clearly knows her business and how to manipulate the media/other people for her own ends.

Btw I'm not a fan.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.