Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    re-apply to medicine next year. Dont risk grad entry. reapply!!!!

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't been accepted for med this year, it is highly unlikely you will be accepted next year.

I suggest you move on and do the Medical Science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathematicsKiller)
    If you haven't been accepted for med this year, it is highly unlikely you will be accepted next year.

I suggest you move on and do the Medical Science.
    loads of people get in 2nd and 3rd time around.
    Remember re-applicants already have their Alevel results so the uni know they can achieve to the standard they expect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommer)
    In November, TSR members convinced me in another thread to apply for a Medical Science BSc (Hons) at Edinburgh, which was my first choice for medicine. This probably turned out to be a good move, because this week I received an offer for it the day before my 4th med rejection came in.

However, I'm just not sure whether to go for it. I loved Edinburgh - it was head and shoulders above every other place I visited - and I therefore don't want to miss out a chance to go there. But I'm really wary that in the competitive job market that is emerging a BSc in Medical Sciences just won't cut it. What do you do after you have it?

What's more, I'm not 100% clear on the intricacies of what Medical Science involves. I find chem more interesting but bio easier. Neurobiology also really interests me and there seems quite a bit of that. But I could try and switch to Medicinal and Biological Chemistry when I get there as it is surely similar in many ways, but it is a MChem. No anatomy and nuerobiology though...

The other thing is if I get my predicted grades I can skip the first year. Is this worth it to potentially move onto a MSc/post-grad medicine quickly? Will I be sacrificing getting to know people from the beginning?

Finally, I could take a gap year, though I haven't really planned one and so far haven't made up the weaknesses in my medicine application to try again.

I know of a guy who was in a really similar situation to me last year and went for medical science at Birmingham and loves it...

Basically, out of all this shambles (sorry) my options are:
    • Go for straight Medical Science BSc Hons
    • Skip to second year of Medical Science BSc Hons
    • Go for Medical Science but switch when I get there to Medicinal and Biological Chemistry MChem
    • Take a gap year and re-apply for med/something else.

Your thoughts and experiences would be wonderful. Thanks!
    If medicine is what you really want DO NOT go for grad entry. It's difficult and expensive, and competition at that level is far worse than for school- leavers.

If you prefer the research side of things i'd say go for medical sciences. You learn a lot of anatomy, physiology and pharmacology, with a large emphasis on experimental technique and things. My degree's been pretty tough and boring (i'm at Leeds) but I can see how people with research interests would enjoy it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.