Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to explain to new bf that I'm still hurting over ex-bf? watch

Hey

I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for 3 months now.

However over the past few days I've suddenly had a lot of thoughts about my ex-boyfriend, not in a 'I want him back' way, just re-living all the very painful memories and regrets I have from that relationship. The break-up was a very painful time of my life and most of my teenage memories involve my ex in some way.

My new boyfriend has noticed I haven't been quite myself. I don't know whether to put on a false front and be ok, or to try and explain this to him. I don't know how to explain. Argh, any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey

I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for 3 months now.

However over the past few days I've suddenly had a lot of thoughts about my ex-boyfriend, not in a 'I want him back' way, just re-living all the very painful memories and regrets I have from that relationship. The break-up was a very painful time of my life and most of my teenage memories involve my ex in some way.

My new boyfriend has noticed I haven't been quite myself. I don't know whether to put on a false front and be ok, or to try and explain this to him. I don't know how to explain. Argh, any advice?
    Personally, I would explain it to him.. he might be able to help you through it... talking is a healer in my opinion..

ReputationRep:
    why get in something else till you've recovered? this really pisses me off about some girls, cos you get with them, then they're upset and confused all the time in case he still has feelings for them, I'd drop the girl like yesterday's news tbh if she told me something like that. I'd obviously be her friend to make her feel better, but no more

(Original post by dmz)
    why get in something else till you've recovered? this really pisses me off about some girls, cos you get with them, then they're upset and confused all the time in case he still has feelings for them, I'd drop the girl like yesterday's news tbh if she told me something like that. I'd obviously be her friend to make her feel better, but no more
    I'm not confused about what I want. I know 100% I want to be with my boyfriend, he is beyond perfect for me. But I have a lot of scars and insecurities about myself as a result from my previous relationship, and it gets to me sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not confused about what I want. I know 100% I want to be with my boyfriend, he is beyond perfect for me. But I have a lot of scars and insecurities about myself as a result from my previous relationship, and it gets to me sometimes.
    Sorry if i'm taking it personal but i had an ex like that who i ended up really caring about after like 6 months into she decided to let me know, i asked her if she had feelings for him and couldn't even decide, i kinda ended it then though she apologised and all, but it really is much easier for everyone to deal with the previous relationship first. What would make you forget him? As long as you have no feelings for him and you're completely into your guy it'd be fine telling him, but be sure of this first, like take your time and see if your feelings regarding anything changes in a week or 2, don't rush into saying anything yet

ReputationRep:
    You don't. That's why you cleverly used the terms "new" and "ex" in your post.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.