This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
thanx for all the help but can anyone properly explain to me how to dilute the concentration of the CuSo coz i dont really understand the prevoius explanations and my lecturer explained it in utter jibberish so im stuck! cheers
trixabell
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
tisnt hard...all u have to do is get 10ml of the provided copper sulphate solution and do the following

use 10ml Copper sulphate and 0ml distilled water for the first tests
use 9ml copper sulphate and 1ml distilled water for the second lot of tests
use 8ml copper sulphate and 2ml distilled water......
u get the idea

as to the reason why the albumen goes opaque when the protein in it is denatured, tis because the insoluble R-groups, previously kept on the inside on the structure of the protein so that the protein was soluble, is exposed because the disulphide bonds and salt bridges are disrupted. this makes the molecule precipitate out of solution

love and jellytots...trixabell (better get bak to my cwk...)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi! im completely new to all this, but i was wondering if anyone could help me......

I need to know what egg albumen actually is, and what its function is whilst in the egg!!!!!......i mean i know its a protein, but i need more detail!!! HELP!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
well iv gotta hand this in tomoz and iv lost the damn sheet thats tell you the basics of the experiment, im well and truly stuck!
if anyone can tell me the jist of the experiment it would be great
cheers

freeb
aysha
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
can some 1 tell me what i can put 4 my prediction???
At4798
Report 16 years ago
if all everyone is going to do is say what a load of bs this all is....how is anyone to know what the right thing is?? im conpletely and utterly confused on the ions bit chemistry was one of my worst subjects last year. i dont know what the hell im doing and it doesnt help when people just sit there saying 'o its so simple you must be stupid if you cant work it out' or a load of technical mumbo jumbo....

this has to be handed in on friday...ive got 477 words and if what people are saying about ph is true, then its messed up anyway. i dont understand any of this, can someone please help without posting some strange reply on it instead
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Yey finally I have found something that actually makes some sence! (rather than reading something that is like a foreign language!) think that you might have just saved my hideous project that right now I would quite happily burn! Just wanted to say thanx for the info - very helpful!

good luck with your practical!

SAM xx
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hey, im stuck wiv the egg thingy 2...4 the variables, which is dependant and which is independant? out of the egg and copper?? plz help!!xx
Ebbie
Report 16 years ago
1. We know that pH affects the tertiary structure of proteins, especially globular proteins, so the pH must also remain constant. Since Copper Sulphate, water and albumin are all of a fairly neutral pH, this shouldn’t be a problem.

2. Controlling the temperature is also important, because this too affects the tertiary structure of a protein. Monitoring the temperature with a thermometer placed near to where the reaction is taking place would be convenient. Making sure that the temperature remains the same throughout the investigation.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Unregistered
[B]so which methods hav been used?

Use serial dilution and a colourimeter! god im not gonna get this done
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
is everyone totally sure that cuso4 is neutral
coz i doubt it is acidic and varies the ph????
can anyone answer
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I'v got nothing so far I just need to know what is saposted to happen dose the egg white go clear if it is denatured
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Here's a simple explanation for the intro:

The copper ions in solution bind with some of the polar R groups and change the tertiary structure of the protein, causing denaturation.

Best of luck to everyone, you can email me at [email protected].......cause i'd better go hand in this coursework now
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
anyone finished the coursework if u have cani havea loot at it plz justsend it to my address [email protected] thnxz peopemoney involved
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
just wanna say good luck to everyone wiv this dam plannin exercise.

apparently it counts for a rediculously small percentage of our overall grade, but we all seem to be stressin bout it!

just a couple of things that i fink mite help ppl (coz they helped me)

u need to work out a method for deciding when the albumen has FULLY denatured, whether it be qualitative or quantitative. unfortunately in our prelim, testin wit a colourometer (or however u spell it!) was urm, 'interestin'. the egg varied within one test tube so that the dam light readings were awful. neways...

secondly to get into the higher mark boundaries u need to hav achieved the easier ones. so don't be afraid to write basic stuff like equipment lists and all that caboodle...

anyone wants anymore help gimme a shout on [email protected] n i will try to help! (ps if ur cute send me a pic too...lol teasin!)

big love to all my fellow biology geeks

x x M x x
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
lol in fact, this counts for 8 marks out of more than 150..... so dont get to stressed!!!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by drranjid
your answers to the practical regarding the albumen are all incorrect im afraid. ph is irrelevant in this experiment as copper sulphate itself does not even contain any hydrogen ions.
actually, i heard that the water in cuso4 solution hydrolyses some of the amino acid, releasing H+ and OH- ions. Some of the H+ ions bond with SO4-, which is an acid - so does pH actually do have something to do with it?

also, if anyone could help with this question -

i know that cuso4 causes the denaturation of albumen, BUT:
why is it that it takes so little cuso4 to fully denature the albumen? please help as quickly as possible, my coursework is due up tomorrow!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Counts for 16 marks in the OCR version :O

Every mark counts! That's what I learned now I'm having to resit the bloody thing.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
personally i think greater coz then u have got excess so all the albumen can react
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
“Finally finished my Coursework”, that’s what my little bro said to me when I returned from Uni. this Easter. He was wrong, upon glancing through it I noticed several major errors.

The Copper (II) Sulphate contains a hazardous chemical called Sash-3, this when applied to the egg albumen hydrolyses the glycosidic bonds within the albumen’s sub-structure rupturing ionic bonds between the 5th and 6th hydrogen bonding site, this changes the shape, obstructs the visible light and as such changes the egg albumen to an opaque hue.

If you use my information, then please visit my web page, to get the visitor count up, Thanks www.free6.com
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads