This discussion is closed.
caz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by rednirt)
Oh I love Jimmy Carr!!!

I agree with u tho... i dont' have an eating disorder by any stretch of teh imagination, but I find it difficult to accept the way I look. My bf keeps telling me how pretty I am, and for the first time I actually looked in the mirror yest and thought I wasnt too bad
thats bcuz girls attach theirselves to their image, and let it affect them
they look in the mirror and feel they are their reflection, instead of the person standing in front of it
curryADD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
should we really make that big a deal out of 'em? honestly, jesus himself went 40 days without eating a single thing, why should we care if calista flockhart wants to eat only a piece of lettuce a day
because she has a problem, and could die
caz
Rep:
?
(Original post by curryADD)
because she has a problem, and could die
we all could die at any given moment
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
we all could die at any given moment
but when its preventable, and media inflicted, i definatly care.....besides, them having an eating disorder is like commiting a slow form of suicide, and its like they are crying out for help.
caz
Rep:
?
(Original post by curryADD)
but when its preventable, and media inflicted, i definatly care.....besides, them having an eating disorder is like commiting a slow form of suicide, and its like they are crying out for help.
sorry, people arent incompetent. they do it because they want to look more attractive
they feel as if people are constantly judging their worth by appearance, as perhaps this is what THEY do to other people. u cannot blame the media completely nor can u feel sorry for the person with the eating disorder
]{ingnik
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh I love Jimmy Carr!!!

I agree with u tho... i dont' have an eating disorder by any stretch of teh imagination, but I find it difficult to accept the way I look. My bf keeps telling me how pretty I am, and for the first time I actually looked in the mirror yest and thought I wasnt too bad
my girlfriends the same!!
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
slightly digressing but do people think Renee Zelwegger looks better when she is a stick thin waif verging on easting disorder type look (her preference) or how she is when she plays Bridget jones?
]{ingnik
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
slightly digressing but do people think Renee Zelwegger looks better when she is a stick thin waif verging on easting disorder type look (her preference) or how she is when she plays Bridget jones?
celebs r different. theyr paid 2 hav eating disorders.
Little Britain
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by caz)
sorry, people arent incompetent. they do it because they want to look more attractive
they feel as if people are constantly judging their worth by appearance, as perhaps this is what THEY do to other people. u cannot blame the media completely nor can u feel sorry for the person with the eating disorder
That's total bull. It is proven that Anorexia and Bulemia are a disease, and there is a lot more to it than wanting to look attractive. Imagine waking up each day with complete self loathing about your body even if you are a relatively normal size. It is about having one thing you can be in control of in your life. I think it is the media's fault entirely, have you ever seen a catwalk show with the top designers for size 20 women?. What happens if you were bullied at school for being too fat.

Or in fact have you ever been shopping with a woman who is a size 18 or 20? It is a complete nightmare you come back with 10 bags of stuff all in a size 10 or 12 and they come back with a new bag. I have been on some diet or other since I was 15 (over 15 years). And I don't think I will ever be happy with my size.
MC
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by caz)
should we really make that big a deal out of 'em? honestly, jesus himself went 40 days without eating a single thing, why should we care if calista flockhart wants to eat only a piece of lettuce a day
I once survived 58 days on just carrots for a dare. My parents had a hernia.

I still fail to see what the problem was.
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Little Britain)
That's total bull. It is proven that Anorexia and Bulemia are a disease, and there is a lot more to it than wanting to look attractive. Imagine waking up each day with complete self loathing about your body even if you are a relatively normal size. It is about having one thing you can be in control of in your life. I think it is the media's fault entirely, have you ever seen a catwalk show with the top designers for size 20 women?. What happens if you were bullied at school for being too fat.

Or in fact have you ever been shopping with a woman who is a size 18 or 20? It is a complete nightmare you come back with 10 bags of stuff all in a size 10 or 12 and they come back with a new bag. I have been on some diet or other since I was 15 (over 15 years). And I don't think I will ever be happy with my size.
i totally agree. its about time that eating disorders were treated as mental illnesses rather than just "someone wanting to lose wight". yup, most girls do want to lose weight, but also most are essentially happy with their figure (fat or thin) to the extent it doesn't impact greatly on their lives. anorexia is much more than wanthing to be thin, 5% of people with anorexia die. stop treating it like it isn't serious. eating disorders are a present day epidemic in the developing world.
hevva111
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by VoodooDoll)
i totally agree. its about time that eating disorders were treated as mental illnesses rather than just "someone wanting to lose wight". yup, most girls do want to lose weight, but also most are essentially happy with their figure (fat or thin) to the extent it doesn't impact greatly on their lives. anorexia is much more than wanthing to be thin, 5% of people with anorexia die. stop treating it like it isn't serious. eating disorders are a present day epidemic in the developing world.
i eat hardly anythin. i am still healthy and a good weight. i am 7 stone exactly and 14 years old. that is both a good weight and a good size. i am size 6 in my botom and size 10 on the top. some people just dont eat as much as others but we are still really healthy. i dont see why people should judge other people just because they dont eat as much. that dosnt meen that they have an eating disorder. because i have blont hair and what you may call pette all the boys go for me because i have blond hair and a good figure. but i hate that bacause i knoe that they only like me because of what i look like. not my personality. it is all about judjing people befor you gat to know them. my advice is get to know some one before you judg them.
MC
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hevva111)
i eat hardly anythin. i am still healthy and a good weight. i am 7 stone exactly and 14 years old. that is both a good weight and a good size. i am size 6 in my botom and size 10 on the top. some people just dont eat as much as others but we are still really healthy. i dont see why people should judge other people just because they dont eat as much. that dosnt meen that they have an eating disorder. because i have blont hair and what you may call pette all the boys go for me because i have blond hair and a good figure. but i hate that bacause i knoe that they only like me because of what i look like. not my personality. it is all about judjing people befor you gat to know them. my advice is get to know some one before you judg them.
Several very convoluted points made there but interesting (not meaning to say intelligent) suggestions.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Little Britain)
Or in fact have you ever been shopping with a woman who is a size 18 or 20? It is a complete nightmare you come back with 10 bags of stuff all in a size 10 or 12 and they come back with a new bag.
have you ever been shoping with a size 12 petite girl...if i was size 20 then id have no problem buying clothes..all the high street stores do fat people clothes..not many do petite ranges, and if they do they charge an extra £5/10..and even then it'll be 3 pairs of jeans a pair of black trowsers and mayb 2 tops.

so before you go moaning about shoping, the fat people get it easy.
Fluffy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by caz)
As someone who spent 10 years living with anorexia and Bulimia, I find the above totally inaccurate and a little insulting!

Anorexia (on the whole) has nothing to do with looks or appearence. It's about being in control.
]{ingnik
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by caz)
and look what happened to jesus
Perry
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ]{ingnik)
and look what happened to jesus
wat about gandi
Powerline
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh I love Jimmy Carr!!!

eating disorders... :eek:
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hevva111)
i don't think i was judging anyone :confused: my point was simply that eating disorders are a serious mental illness, i never mentioned anything about people that don't eat very much having a mental health problem. i never said or even implied that thin girls are anorexic or bulimic, thats total bull****. anorexia and bulimia are much more complex than the binging and purging people associate them with. often people with eating disorders have been abused or feel under pressure to be perfect by authoritarian parents. my point is that eating disorders are much more than what they appear to be on the surface and they are definately more than a desire to lose a bit of weight.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
have you ever been shoping with a size 12 petite girl...if i was size 20 then id have no problem buying clothes..all the high street stores do fat people clothes..not many do petite ranges, and if they do they charge an extra £5/10..and even then it'll be 3 pairs of jeans a pair of black trowsers and mayb 2 tops.

so before you go moaning about shoping, the fat people get it easy.
totally agree! and you find only the bigger shops do the petite ranges. i have to go to the new look in liverpool, cos the one where i live doesn't do petite and a lot of the other shops are the same. *a reason why i have zillions of skirts and only about a million pairs of trousers*... and they're never in the sale.

but seriously, eating disorders are a problem. i very nearly into the trap of bulimia, but i had a great group of friends who helped me through it and made me realise how stupid i was (although i knew that anyway) and i've actually put on weight again, although i do tend to binge every now and then. i know if someone had said to me 'oh stop being stupid and drawing attention to yourself' i would not have stopped. and most people don't do it for attention, i managed to keep it secret for about 3 months and it was only in a drunken conversation about weight i'd loss with my best mate that she found out.

lou xxx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads