Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Algarve watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Portugal for the first time ever in a week, to the Algarve - near Faro. Has anyone else been there before? Can anyone recommend places to go and things to do? I'm there for 7 days I enjoy active sporty activities, but also taking in the history and culture of a place, walking, and experiencing the nightlife. I'm looking to spend as little as possible. How much spending money do you think I'll need?

ReputationRep:
    It's times like these i wish i didn't have 'sick joke ocd'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    It's times like these i wish i didn't have 'sick joke ocd'.
    Go on, I'm intrigued....

ReputationRep:
    Try Villamora, not a bad night out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
    Go on, I'm intrigued....
    Nope, trust me it's better for everyone if i just stay quiet on this one.

ReputationRep:
    I went to the Algarve last summer and stayed in Faro. We mostly went to the beach every day and since we stayed in Faro it was really easy to get the bus everywhere to all the different towns along the coast I can't really say that much about sporty activites since I didn't do any of them, but if you want a really nice, quiet beach, then go to Ilha de Deserta, which is basically a deserted island with a restaurant which you have to take a boat to from Faro. It doesn't sound too fun, but it's a really nice place and you definitely won't have to fight for a sunbathing spot!

When we went to Vilamoura, and Albufeira it was a lot more touristy and there were loads of boat trips leaving from those areas. In Faro there are quite a few cultural/history places, like churches etc, and there are some all over the Algarve.

Hope that kinda helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    Nope, trust me it's better for everyone if i just stay quiet on this one.
    PM me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ooo'Yeah)
    I went to the Algarve last summer and stayed in Faro. We mostly went to the beach every day and since we stayed in Faro it was really easy to get the bus everywhere to all the different towns along the coast I can't really say that much about sporty activites since I didn't do any of them, but if you want a really nice, quiet beach, then go to Ilha de Deserta, which is basically a deserted island with a restaurant which you have to take a boat to from Faro. It doesn't sound too fun, but it's a really nice place and you definitely won't have to fight for a sunbathing spot!

When we went to Vilamoura, and Albufeira it was a lot more touristy and there were loads of boat trips leaving from those areas. In Faro there are quite a few cultural/history places, like churches etc, and there are some all over the Algarve.

Hope that kinda helped
    Thankyou, that's great! I'd rep you if I hadn't used all today's up I'd love to hear any more details you have on any of the places you mentioned! How much did the buses cost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
    Thankyou, that's great! I'd rep you if I hadn't used all today's up I'd love to hear any more details you have on any of the places you mentioned! How much did the buses cost?
    Coz I'm quite sad, I keep bus tickets and stuff for a scrapbook so I've got all the prices of them all From the airport to Faro, it cost 1.70 euros. The costs of the buses below are from Faro, which is the main place where you need to go to get a bus to different places from.

To Olhao it cost 2.80 one way, and the boat trip to Olhao island cost 1.60, can't remember if that was one way or not. Olhao is a smallish island where people do live on and tourists stay in some of the small houses. It's a really nice place and we went to a beach which is about 1km walk to the other side of the island coz we were following everyone else from the boat The beach was really nice, not too busy, and the sea was calm

To Albufeira it cost 8.50 euros for a return bus ticket but the bus dropped us off quite far from the beach area, so we followed the crowds It's really touristy there and if you go to the main square there's loads of restaurants and souvenir shops. The beach was heaving with people though! There's also boat trips leaving from here, but we couldn't find where they were leaving from lol.

To Vilamoura it cost 7.20 for a return ticket and it's a short walk to the marina where there are like thousands of boats! There are loads of restaurants in the main area and there's some other stuff to see too like Roman ruins, which we didn't go into, we just took photos through the bars We went on a boat trip here and there are loads of companies which you can do this through and loads of different types of boat trips, varying from the standard tour of the coast, to fishing trips. We went on a normal trip which cost 3 of us 45 euros in total and we went all the way up the coast. We would have gone inside some caves too, but the sea was a bit too choppy. There was also a rest break so people could go swimming

Hope that was helpful, sorry it's so long and rambly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ooo'Yeah)
    Coz I'm quite sad, I keep bus tickets and stuff for a scrapbook so I've got all the prices of them all From the airport to Faro, it cost 1.70 euros.
    Bus tickets? Haven't they got Oyster cards (or some equivalent) yet?

ReputationRep:
    Going in august
    Any recommendations of where to go/what to do/nights out in Albufeira?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.