Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xcoral23)
    Welcome back!! BM6 is my only shot now, but I don't mind because as I repeatedly keep saying.. I LOVE SOTON!

What are you planning to do with your other choices then?

Fingers crossed for you. I'm praying this is my year too
    Hi xcoral23! Nice to see you again, here. Yup Southampton is amazing, I can not agree more BM6 is my only shot, but with this new information about the new course at Nottingham, I might have two choices for medicine. I love southampton more though :rolleyes:

I'm thinking pharmacy. It's just last year I got rejected from St Georges for Biomedical Sciences for having a PS concentrating on medicine only. So I'm kind of worried that Keele might do the same with pharmacy. I have contacted them to find out so I'll have to see what they say. I'm also interested in the Clinical Sciences course at Bradford.. but other than that I don't have a clue. It's hard to look at other choices when medicine is the only thing you want to do. So, what you got planned for your other choices?

Yup prayers for both of us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiboz)
    Hi xcoral23! Nice to see you again, here. Yup Southampton is amazing, I can not agree more BM6 is my only shot, but with this new information about the new course at Nottingham, I might have two choices for medicine. I love southampton more though :rolleyes:

I'm thinking pharmacy. It's just last year I got rejected from St Georges for Biomedical Sciences for having a PS concentrating on medicine only. So I'm kind of worried that Keele might do the same with pharmacy. I have contacted them to find out so I'll have to see what they say. I'm also interested in the Clinical Sciences course at Bradford.. but other than that I don't have a clue. It's hard to look at other choices when medicine is the only thing you want to do. So, what you got planned for your other choices?

Yup prayers for both of us.
    Nice to see you too

Unfortunately Nottingham won't accept me, but hay, ho, not the end of the world - I've kind of gotten used to hearing the rejection bit.

Oh nice choice - will you do GEP Medicine afterwards or not? I've really considered going down this route but I'm concerned about finances and how I'm meant to pay for this. It's frustrating.

Best to check really, I think that you will always have a risk of getting rejected from other courses because of this. It's something I'm worried about as well.

Oh, that course sounds interesting - I might have a little peep at that and see what it's all about

I know, I couldn't agree more. I sound like a nerd but I look through Southampton's website everyday and read the same stuff over and over. Obsessed much.

I've been looking into Nursing. I know it's competitive but in my opinion I would rather apply to other degrees that I would enjoy and probably get better grade at. What's the point in spending 3 years + at university paying £9000 a year for a degree you have no interest in.

Medicine will always be my path though.

So, what grades/UKCAT you applying with then?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I didnt realise this stupidly, but you can submit your PS to TSR moderators who will go over it for you for free. Click Personal Statements at the top ^^ But there are mentors (I've just become one ) who read your statement and give you feedback on it. It's very cool. (And safe and secure for your PS!).

You may know this already, I didn't!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by BethaneyJ)
    Hey guys, I didnt realise this stupidly, but you can submit your PS to TSR moderators who will go over it for you for free. Click Personal Statements at the top ^^ But there are mentors (I've just become one ) who read your statement and give you feedback on it. It's very cool. (And safe and secure for your PS!).

You may know this already, I didn't!
    Do you know if we just post it on the forum wall??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobnot)
    Do you know if we just post it on the forum wall??
    I believe you post it in here, creating a new thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=240

You won't see the other posts as you're not a PS Helper but that's where they live! Few days to feedback but there are quite a few access to medicine people about now so should be quick!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by BethaneyJ)
    I believe you post it in here, creating a new thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=240

You won't see the other posts as you're not a PS Helper but that's where they live! Few days to feedback but there are quite a few access to medicine people about now so should be quick!
    Ok great, thanks for that!

ReputationRep:
    How many people have finished their personal statements?

Anyone know when the deadline is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXA786DXx)

The UCAS deadline for medicine is the 15th of October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXA786DXx)

I've done my first draft but then lost it..Back to the drawing board.

ReputationRep:
    What sort of grades does everybody have.

ReputationRep:
    Southampton BM6 is where I'm definately applying to . I was going to anyway but I'm really counting on it now after the disaster that is my AS levels and Sixth Form. I'm also thinking about UEA A104, Nottingham A104, and the A2L for Medicine, though I think I will get automatic rejections for Nottingham and Leeds .
    Anyone else planning on applying to UEA A104 too? And does anyone know the ratios of applicants per place? For Nottingham I know there are only 10 places available, so there's going to be a lot competition for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ally312)
    Southampton BM6 is where I'm definately applying to . I was going to anyway but I'm really counting on it now after the disaster that is my AS levels and Sixth Form. I'm also thinking about UEA A104, Nottingham A104, and the A2L for Medicine, though I think I will get automatic rejections for Nottingham and Leeds .
    I'm similar to you. Same universities and foundation courses. What's A2L. What do you define as disaster in your AS-Level, what grades? I'm applying to 3 medical foundation courses and the rest bio-med with the option to transfer to medicine after the first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    I'm similar to you. Same universities and foundation courses. What's A2L. What do you define as disaster in your AS-Level, what grades? I'm applying to 3 medical foundation courses and the rest bio-med with the option to transfer to medicine after the first year.
    A2L is Access to Leeds. I'm eligible for that and if you are successful they will give you an offer two grades lower than the standard one so it'll go from AAA to ABB. The only problem is that the A has to be in Chemistry.
    My AS grades were CCDE in Biology, Chemistry, English Language and Maths With work I know I can pull them up to ABB, and I'm dropping Maths but resitting the AS to get it to a C. We didnt have a teacher for 3 months in Maths and only got one a week before the exam. Then in English my teacher gave me and A for coursework but the board gave it a D. And then, out best biology teacher went on maternity leave, and we got stuck with a teacher who read out of a book and didnt follow the syllabus properly so I had to self teach Unit 2 to make sure I understood what was going on :mad: That all is what I define as a disaster! I was well pissed off at the end of it all.
    Sorry for the little rant Can I ask what you got at AS?

ReputationRep:
    A2L is Access to Leeds. I'm eligible for that and if you are successful they will give you an offer two grades lower than the standard one so it'll go from AAA to ABB. The only problem is that the A has to be in Chemistry.
    My AS grades were CCDE in Biology, Chemistry, English Language and Maths With work I know I can pull them up to ABB, and I'm dropping Maths but resitting the AS to get it to a C. We didnt have a teacher for 3 months in Maths and only got one a week before the exam. Then in English my teacher gave me and A for coursework but the board gave it a D. And then, out best biology teacher went on maternity leave, and we got stuck with a teacher who read out of a book and didnt follow the syllabus properly so I had to self teach Unit 2 to make sure I understood what was going on :mad: That all is what I define as a disaster! I was well pissed off at the end of it all.
    Sorry for the little rant Can I ask what you got at AS?
    I got BBBc (BBB in bio,chem and economics) a "c" in physics. In physics we had a terrible teacher never finished the course was clueless himself and just use to rant about his wife. I was only 10 UMS marks off the next grade in all the subjects so I'm predicted AAA. I have a lot of work experience and stuff so hopefully it will be helpful. I really need to start my Personal statement but I've got so much homework I just can't find the time by the time I finish my homework I'm too tired and just go to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Am I eligible to apply for BM6 course?
    I have AABa at A- level and fulfill the criteria:
    * First generation applicant to higher education
    * In receipt of an EMA (Education Maintenance Award) or similar grant (not anymore since not in college)
    * Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

Is the course only to widen access to people with non-scientific qualifications?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I got BBBc (BBB in bio,chem and economics) a "c" in physics. In physics we had a terrible teacher never finished the course was clueless himself and just use to rant about his wife. I was only 10 UMS marks off the next grade in all the subjects so I'm predicted AAA. I have a lot of work experience and stuff so hopefully it will be helpful. I really need to start my Personal statement but I've got so much homework I just can't find the time by the time I finish my homework I'm too tired and just go to sleep.
    Wow! Well done Though seeing people with way better grades than me is beginning to really worry me. I know I should expect to see that, but I think the fact that BM6 and A104 makes me feel like I've got some hope makes it worse.
    If you're predicted AAA, how come you are applying for foundation courses if you don't mind me asking.

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Well done Though seeing people with way better grades than me is beginning to really worry me. I know I should expect to see that, but I think the fact that BM6 and A104 makes me feel like I've got some hope makes it worse.
    If you're predicted AAA, how come you are applying for foundation courses if you don't mind me asking.
    Grades get cashed in this year and they will know I achieved BBBc at AS-Level and people who have AAAb at AS-Level will be at an advantage. I went to talk to the UCAS and careers advisor and they basically told me to not apply to the 5 year course because I would just get straight rejections.

ReputationRep:
    Grades get cashed in this year and they will know I achieved BBBc at AS-Level and people who have AAAb at AS-Level will be at an advantage. I went to talk to the UCAS and careers advisor and they basically told me to not apply to the 5 year course because I would just get straight rejections.
    Ahh okay Cool. Well fingers crossed you (and me!) get in somewhere! I don't know what I'm going to do if I don't. I think I'm probably going to take a gap year and then reapply instead. But right now I'm just going to focus on resits. Yay

ReputationRep:
    Ahh okay Cool. Well fingers crossed you (and me!) get in somewhere! I don't know what I'm going to do if I don't. I think I'm probably going to take a gap year and then reapply instead. But right now I'm just going to focus on resits. Yay
    If you don't mind me asking, are you going to reapply this year or next. I'm just not sure whether it's worth me applying this year.

ReputationRep:
    Same. I'm so stressed out, so much work and it's only been a week of school for me. I've got my brother constantly talking about how he is going to start his dentistry course this year and how amazing it will be, makes me feel like a failure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.