The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Saxy103
I applied to Keele, Dundee, UEA and Manchester. And yes I am reapplying this year with the benefit of hindsight! I actually feel a lot better prepared this time round. I'm going to be going back to college in September. They are letting me do AS and A2 chemistry in 1 year (yes, mad!) and also biology AS. Doing chem and bio means that my options are more open too.

Oh fair enough - did you get an interview anywhere?

I agree, I'm abit more relaxed about it this year although I'm really worrying about the UKCAT! especially as last year it was the only reason I didn't get an interview at Leicester :frown:

You are CRAZY!! I did AS + A2 biology in one year last year (2010-2011) and it was insanly difficult.. Maybe we are just as bad as each other lol..

Chemistry is very difficult (Biology is meant to be harder according to most people) but I really struggle with it + I hate it.. I'm retaking an AS exam this year + doing A2...

I'm a glutton for punishment too.. this year I'm working full time at my local Hospital as a Pharmacy Assistant doing 45 hours a week.. AND study A2 Chemistry + A2 Psychology + retaking loads of exams.. all at home! No teacher support for me lol.. I'm nuts :/

Original post by Saxy103
How are you planning to prep? Have you booked it yet? I was so nervous about taking it last year but this year I'm ok about it. For now at least! I'm sure I'll feel differently soon. Although it was nice to hear from the admissions people about the use of it for BM6

I booked the open day but at the last minute couldn't attend :frown:

What did they say about the use of the UKCAT?
Reply 41
Hi :smile: I have GCSE passes at C`s all of them... I have a national diploma in Business (Three A levels at A`s) and I really want to do the BM6 programme at Southampton. Anyone help? :smile: Would they accept me? Maybe if i make my personal statement really good?.
Reply 42
Original post by xcoral23
Oh fair enough - did you get an interview anywhere?

What did they say about the use of the UKCAT?

Nope. No interviews. :-( all said that it was my GCSE profile that was the problem.
UKCAT isn't used the same way for BM6 as it is for BM5. For BM5 they have a cut off point of the bottom 25%. For BM6 it's used to differentiate between similar candidates but there was no mention of a cut off point.
Reply 43
Original post by Shaby786
Hi :smile: I have GCSE passes at C`s all of them... I have a national diploma in Business (Three A levels at A`s) and I really want to do the BM6 programme at Southampton. Anyone help? :smile: Would they accept me? Maybe if i make my personal statement really good?.

If you look at the entry requirements for BM6 I think you'll find that you need A level chemistry or AS chemistry and AS biology. Other qualifications (post GCSE) are accepted but there has to be an appropriate amount of science content. Sorry if this doesn't seem particularly positive. If you are determined to do medicine then perhaps look at doing some science based courses or an access to medicine course (depending on your circumstances).
Hope this helps.
Reply 44
Original post by Saxy103
Nope. No interviews. :-( all said that it was my GCSE profile that was the problem.
UKCAT isn't used the same way for BM6 as it is for BM5. For BM5 they have a cut off point of the bottom 25%. For BM6 it's used to differentiate between similar candidates but there was no mention of a cut off point.

That sucks big time.. It's annoying as some students may have messed up school but then got like A/A* at A-level but are given no chance. Silly really.

Yeh - glad to hear it, the UKCAT sucks so much! Are you ready for it?

Original post by Saxy103
If you look at the entry requirements for BM6 I think you'll find that you need A level chemistry or AS chemistry and AS biology. Other qualifications (post GCSE) are accepted but there has to be an appropriate amount of science content. Sorry if this doesn't seem particularly positive. If you are determined to do medicine then perhaps look at doing some science based courses or an access to medicine course (depending on your circumstances).
Hope this helps.

I agree, you need to get some science behind you. Try staying at college another year and be totally crazy like us and fast-track an AS + A2 in one year? Or this september, study perhaps AS + A2 Biology and then AS Chemistry.. or do AS Bio + Chem + another subject? so basically start again? Long I know.. I was in the same situation

I had a BTEC National Certificate (equiv 2 x A's) and an A-level - they said I needed science ect so I stayed on another 2 years and now got/i'm working towards:

already got:
BTEC National Certificate in Applied Science (Forensic Science) - Distinction, Distinction
AS Law - B
A2 Law - C
AS Psychology - D

Getting/predicted:
AS/A2 Chemistry - A
AS/A2 Biology - A
AS retake/A2 Psychology - A

I've been at college 4 years because I messed up my choices in my first year but now coming out with like 6 A-Levels, it was worth it!... you need to think long and hard about all this including why you want to be a doctor. You will almost definatly be asked about the subject change/choices.
Reply 45
Is anyone ever ready for it? :smile: I've done a fair bit of practice for it, going over percentages and ratios. AR makes me want to die so definately not ready for that bit! VR and DA were fine last time, got my highest score for DA. It was just the AR that brought my total score down. 590 on that section :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey!! I have just finished the BM6 year at Southampton. If anyone came to the open days I was there in the yellow shirt with the uncooperative fringe!

Any questions at all feel free to ask (quote ideally) or PM and I'd be happy to help.

Good luck to all applying and I hope to see you one day join the BM6 family <3

Beth
Reply 47
Original post by BethaneyJ
Hey!! I have just finished the BM6 year at Southampton. If anyone came to the open days I was there in the yellow shirt with the uncooperative fringe!

Any questions at all feel free to ask (quote ideally) or PM and I'd be happy to help.

Beth

Hey, thanks for the post, it's nice to know we have some support.

Congrats on getting in + completing the first year! :smile:

What grades/UKCAT/work experience did you apply with?
Hey, thanks for the post, it's nice to know we have some support.

Congrats on getting in + completing the first year! :smile:

What grades/UKCAT/work experience did you apply with?

Errr my predicted was AAA but my final was ABC (I didn't take resits to get the AAA after I got the offer). I was a reapplicant so already had the CCC that we needed.

Can't remember the UKCAT but I was averaging around the 750s if I recall. But then as you probably know BM6 doesn't use the UKCAT, you just have to take it as it is a medicine course.

Work experience I had tonnes and tonnes but used hardly any in my personal statement or interview. I shawdowed a GP for a week, and spent a week watching open heart surgery and hand surgery in Wales. I set up a new clinic in my local hospital trust and helped run it for a year including talking to patients and writing clinic notes. Volunteered at my local hospital for 2 years working on wards with patients and staff.

None of this went in my personal statement (except the volunteering to show I had stuck at something). Nor was it mentioned in my interview.

The best bit of work experiences I had was volunteering at my local elderly blind society knitting with blind old ladies. It was where I learned something new, and it changed my opinion of something. Work experience is great and if it's clinical it's great but if you learn nothing, it's only useful as something you enjoyed/can brag about (I saw a HUMAN HEART beating in this guys chest. AMGawd).

So er... yeh... lol does that answer your questions? Haha. :smile:

If anyone came to the open day they've probably heard me say that word for word hahaaaaaa I said it so many times.

But yeah, any other questions let me know :biggrin: Anything at all, in fact, I CHALLENGE YOU ALL to ask me a question (BM6/5/Soton related of course) that I was not asked at the open day. :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Errr my predicted was AAA but my final was ABC (I didn't take resits to get the AAA after I got the offer). I was a reapplicant so already had the CCC that we needed.

Can't remember the UKCAT but I was averaging around the 750s if I recall. But then as you probably know BM6 doesn't use the UKCAT, you just have to take it as it is a medicine course.

Work experience I had tonnes and tonnes but used hardly any in my personal statement or interview. I shawdowed a GP for a week, and spent a week watching open heart surgery and hand surgery in Wales. I set up a new clinic in my local hospital trust and helped run it for a year including talking to patients and writing clinic notes. Volunteered at my local hospital for 2 years working on wards with patients and staff.

None of this went in my personal statement (except the volunteering to show I had stuck at something). Nor was it mentioned in my interview.

The best bit of work experiences I had was volunteering at my local elderly blind society knitting with blind old ladies. It was where I learned something new, and it changed my opinion of something. Work experience is great and if it's clinical it's great but if you learn nothing, it's only useful as something you enjoyed/can brag about (I saw a HUMAN HEART beating in this guys chest. AMGawd).

So er... yeh... lol does that answer your questions? Haha. :smile:

If anyone came to the open day they've probably heard me say that word for word hahaaaaaa I said it so many times.

But yeah, any other questions let me know :biggrin: Anything at all, in fact, I CHALLENGE YOU ALL to ask me a question (BM6/5/Soton related of course) that I was not asked at the open day. :P

My grades are really weird and I think I didn't get an interview last year because I didn't have A2 Chemistry so this year I'm very, very busy..

I've got alot of work experience/paid work experience and I have learnt alot through all of it so my personal statement will probably concentrate on the experience, what I learnt + why I wanna be a doctor really..

If you didn't write about your work experience, what kinds of stuff did you write about in your personal statement?

Fair one on your grades, no point in retaking if you already got accepted :smile:

What did your interview consist of? what kind of questions?

Thanks for the help btw :smile:
Reply 50

Have you ever been blue during the course? Not melancholic blue but the actual colour blue. :smile:
Original post by Saxy103
Have you ever been blue during the course? Not melancholic blue but the actual colour blue. :smile:

We have a WINNER!!

Personally I have not, HOWEVER! The Surf Society had an Avatar themed night and Tim (guy in my class) turned up very tired and very blue as he had failed to get the paint off. Also, a chap was running for the students union. His name was Shane Murphy aka Smurphy. As you can imagine his support wore smurf outfits in lectures and on campus all of campaign week and we had many blue people in class!

xcoral23

Sorry still replying!! (It's a longish one)
(edited 12 years ago)
My grades are really weird and I think I didn't get an interview last year because I didn't have A2 Chemistry so this year I'm very, very busy..

I've got alot of work experience/paid work experience and I have learnt alot through all of it so my personal statement will probably concentrate on the experience, what I learnt + why I wanna be a doctor really..

If you didn't write about your work experience, what kinds of stuff did you write about in your personal statement?

Fair one on your grades, no point in retaking if you already got accepted :smile:

What did your interview consist of? what kind of questions?

Thanks for the help btw :smile:

BM6 likes weird for grades and background. My education and grades were really odd and disordered as were many others :smile:

My personal statement was about the blind volunteering, and also I had a long running job as a receptionist in A&E. Nothing particularly clinical but I talked about that a bit. I spoke about my volunteering in a hospital a little bit.

There was a big section about how I went back to college after having quit a few years before and what I did there (leading revision classes and organising charity events etc).

There was a paragraph explaining how my experiences have set me up for medicine and how I would just be plain awesomely perfect for the job :smile:

Mine showed in general that I had a big enough understanding of medicine and the workload of both students and doctors and showed that I would be able to cope. Also that I was human and compassionate and empathetic.

Interview questions... Ha. I don't remember much of my interview. I couldn't remember much from the moment I stepped out the room! Just the basic general why BM6? Why now? Why here?

Wasn't asked why medicine or any clinical/ethics questions but I know some who were. It's REALLY based on your personal statement. Like, REALLY.

It's a standard interview by two people. Can be members of the public, lecturers, students, other staff members, heads of sixth forms, head teachers etc. Right mix!
Reply 53
BM6 likes weird for grades and background. My education and grades were really odd and disordered as were many others :smile:

My personal statement was about the blind volunteering, and also I had a long running job as a receptionist in A&E. Nothing particularly clinical but I talked about that a bit. I spoke about my volunteering in a hospital a little bit.

There was a big section about how I went back to college after having quit a few years before and what I did there (leading revision classes and organising charity events etc).

There was a paragraph explaining how my experiences have set me up for medicine and how I would just be plain awesomely perfect for the job :smile:

Mine showed in general that I had a big enough understanding of medicine and the workload of both students and doctors and showed that I would be able to cope. Also that I was human and compassionate and empathetic.

Interview questions... Ha. I don't remember much of my interview. I couldn't remember much from the moment I stepped out the room! Just the basic general why BM6? Why now? Why here?

Wasn't asked why medicine or any clinical/ethics questions but I know some who were. It's REALLY based on your personal statement. Like, REALLY.

It's a standard interview by two people. Can be members of the public, lecturers, students, other staff members, heads of sixth forms, head teachers etc. Right mix!

You got alot of information down about what you have done over the last couple of years before the application then and how it all relates to Medicine.

You've worked hard by the sounds of things.

Oh your interview went pretty good then..

The only problem I have found with my personal statement so far is the lack of extracurricular activities - any tips?

I'm glad they base it on the personal statement it means that anyone that has bulls*** their way through the application process who has lied on their PS can be caught out.. :smile:

I just really really really really really really want a chance to prove myself to the interviewers - it's just getting an interview that's the tough part :frown: I've worked unbelievably hard for this and battled with my health aswell.. I just hope I get the chance to prove all this..

P.s I have private messaged you
You got alot of information down about what you have done over the last couple of years before the application then and how it all relates to Medicine.

You've worked hard by the sounds of things.

Oh your interview went pretty good then..

The only problem I have found with my personal statement so far is the lack of extracurricular activities - any tips?

I'm glad they base it on the personal statement it means that anyone that has bulls*** their way through the application process who has lied on their PS can be caught out.. :smile:

I just really really really really really really want a chance to prove myself to the interviewers - it's just getting an interview that's the tough part :frown: I've worked unbelievably hard for this and battled with my health aswell.. I just hope I get the chance to prove all this..

P.s I have private messaged you

Haha well I assume it went okay! I just remember that at one point I said something (no idea what) and the guy writing stopped, looked at me, smiled for ages, and then hurriedly scribbled loads of notes :s

Extracurric? Volunteering is extra curric! Without sounding catty, those who apply to BM6 are usually less fortunate and our extra curric is usually a little lacking as we have other things to do :smile: I didn't really have much at all. :smile:

As harsh as it may sound to those who don't get interviewed, the ones that do tend to be the ones who want it most. :smile: It's so strange to talk to those applying. Everyone is so emotive and passionate, and then when you get in and are surrounded by tonnes of other medics, and it all calms down a bit!

Keep going <3
Reply 55
Haha well I assume it went okay! I just remember that at one point I said something (no idea what) and the guy writing stopped, looked at me, smiled for ages, and then hurriedly scribbled loads of notes :s

Extracurric? Volunteering is extra curric! Without sounding catty, those who apply to BM6 are usually less fortunate and our extra curric is usually a little lacking as we have other things to do :smile: I didn't really have much at all. :smile:

As harsh as it may sound to those who don't get interviewed, the ones that do tend to be the ones who want it most. :smile: It's so strange to talk to those applying. Everyone is so emotive and passionate, and then when you get in and are surrounded by tonnes of other medics, and it all calms down a bit!

Keep going <3

Well, the interviewers smiling can only be a good sign in that situation - either way it must have gone really well, you got accepted :smile:

Yeah I know, most people have like a grade 10000 in playing the violin or something I'm just here like well, I volunteer, study my ass off and work 2 jobs - I agree, I don't really have the money or the time to do those things apart from I love going to the gym and I kind of class learning as extracurric as I LOVE it - it's my hobby as strange as that might sound :smile:

Yeh, when I was on the forum for last year there were a few people that were really, really passionate about getting in and they didnt and a few that were not so much and they got it - I guess it's trying to get the balance right, you never know whats going to happen in life and it's good to work towards something and dream but being obsessive about it isn't a good thing, but thats just my opinion.

I have worked and are still working really, really hard to get in this year but over the last couple of years I have realised that you have got to have a break and enjoy life aswell - last year I didn't have the balance, this year I do - so fingers and toes crossed :smile:

Thank you I intend on not giving up :smile: x

Beth

Hiya just wondered if you could give me some general feedback on my situation...
I go to a grammar school, will this have an effect?
I'm doing 4 a levels (biology, chemistry, maths and geography), predicted CCBA.
I fit 3 out of 5 of the requirements for the BM6 and live in Kent.
I'm looking to apply to 4med schools all for the B6 course
How relevent is the work experience?
I've tried applying for volunteering/work shadowing etc in hopsitals and all have said i have to be 18 :/
And if you could tell me anything about what they're looking for in particular in the personal statement that would be great! :smile:
Thanks for joining the thread too, i think you've been a great help to those you've spoken to so far. Speaking with someone from experience will be a great hand to us all! :smile:
Original post by hopefulmedic
Hiya just wondered if you could give me some general feedback on my situation...
I've tried applying for volunteering/work shadowing etc in hopsitals and all have said i have to be 18 :/
And if you could tell me anything about what they're looking for in particular in the personal statement that would be great! :smile:
Thanks for joining the thread too, i think you've been a great help to those you've spoken to so far. Speaking with someone from experience will be a great hand to us all! :smile:

No problem!

Going to a grammar school shouldn't have an effect as long as you're meeting the criteria. Those are the important things. (Double double check with admissions if you want to be 100% but I did the open day recently and I am about 80% sure that you'll be fine!!)

May I ask which other uni's you're looking at? The BM6 programme at Southampton is a little different from the other 6 year courses as it requires science A levels, most of the others are (from what I know) aimed at those doing non-science subjects and wishing to do medicine.. :confused: I may be wrong here though xD And most uni's don't offer a bm6 programme at all. But applying to 4 is good. Do you have a back up plan for a 5th? I didn't but it's something to think about :smile:

The requirements are BCC including Biology so that is fine! Why are you doing 4 A levels would be my only question? Uni's don't usually favour someone with 3 over someone with 4 so it is just added pressure on yourself...

I used to live in Sussex so was in Kent quite a lot :biggrin: (usually avoiding the M25 though haha).

You don't have to be 18 everywhere but it does help usually. Don't forget work experience can be anywhere health related so nursing home, charities like hospices or your local blind society. Your college can usually help organise work experience too!

Volunteering doesn't have to be medical at all, just find something that will make you better in one aspect you think is important in being a doctor, so if you think that being able to empathise with disadvantaged people is important perhaps find a local homeless shelter or a deaf society and help out there.

Well written and structured personal statement is important. Make sure it's not just a list of your recent activities but reflective on how different things you've done have made you a better person and eventually a better doctor!

Hope this helps! I'm going to try and get some of the soon to be brand new BM6ers in here (those who are about to start) and see if they'll help out too!!

Feel free to ask anything else that comes to mind xx

P.s I reckon Ben and Sam will be most likely to get themselves on here from BM6 2011/12..... I'm just saying....
Reply 58

P.s I reckon Ben and Sam will be most likely to get themselves on here from BM6 2011/12..... I'm just saying....

Pffttt I'm a lurker :wink: Just saying eh? Sam smells and Ben is never to be seen!

Anyways..... :P

Original post by hopefulmedic

Hey :smile:

Whatever school you come from has no effect at all at any university. Your 4 a levels are fine and your grades would be fine for next year. Fitting the requirements is good.

I would say work experience is essential as I find it was very helpful to use in my interview to reflect on why I wanted to do medicine and what I have learnt. Something I found key applying was, which i was told by many doctors and universities, is to tell them what skills and experiences you have got out say doing your work experience. The key word they use is 'REFLECT'. Reflecting on your experiences and what you have gained from them

Now I know you have to be 18 for most hospitals, but working in a charity shop or just a normal shop can show just as much experience/skills/stories as say working on a ward for a year. I'd recommend volunteering in a charity shop or getting a job. Anything where you're in contact with people.

I took a gap year, and reapplied after being rejected from 4 med schools. Hopefully i'll be joining the BM6 officially on Thursday :smile:

Dan
No problem!

:O

if you look at one of the first posts...it's me saying I'll help :wink:

but again....if you wanna ask me stuff...just quote me

Quick Reply