Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by cobra2k10)
    hey guys. is there a ukcat cut off score for medicine @ nottingham or for the foundation 6yr @ nottingham?
    I know that for the 6 year programme at Nottingham they use a point scoring system with the UKCAT, personal statement and reference, then that's how they decide who to call for interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BethaneyJ)

My college told me not to bother and gave me very very little support. At least yours is trying
    at least it didn't actively try and give you the worst possible advice....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BethaneyJ)
    BM6 is a widening access course that lasts a year and if you pass it you are assured a place on the BM5 so it is considered Year 0 (BM5 being years 1,2,3,4,5). It is for those who have not had the social and financial background to get into standard entry medicine. The entry requirements are lower as some of those applying are likely to have come from some of the worst performing schools and therefore, despite being capable of succeeding, are not able to get the top grades.

There are a few other criteria for BM6:

You must satisfy two of the eligibility criteria listed below in order to be eligible for the BM6 programme, and you will be expected to provide documentary proof.

First generation applicant to higher education
    Parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit
    Looked after young people living in supported accommodation
    In receipt of an EMA (Education Maintenance Award) or similar grant
    Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

Your A levels must also include Biology whereas this isn't a requirement of BM5.

There is more competition for the BM6, as there are 30 places and a 22:1 ration of applicants per place compared to BM5 which is 14:1. BM6 also has an interview.

During the BM6 year you cover aspects from the BM5 course and also go on placement. It prepares you for entry to BM5 and isn't just a gap between A level and degree, but degree level stuff on a smaller scale. It's a 3 day week and you're assessed by exams and essays similar to on the BM5 course.

Hope this helps!!
    Thankyou so much, clears it up for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Granny11)
    Hey fellow TSR members

I've got 1 A*, 7 A's, 2 B's and 1 C at GCSE and our school forced us to take an ALAN qualification which is equivalent of a B GCSE grade..... I got AS grades of BBCCC in maths, general studies (forced again :P), biology, chemistry and physics my predicted grades are either ABB or AAB. I got UKCAT of just under 650. I receive EMA and my school is one of the most deprived schools in London. I'm just having to wait for my teachers to come up with my reference, which after reading TSR today I'm slightly worried that they haven't done so already :'( really am worried about my odds of getting into medicine which is something I've dreamt of since my childhood. Now hearing the ratio is 22:1 I really would like to know if I have chances of getting an interview? I am applying to Keele (normal medicine), Southampton(foundation), kings (foundation), Nottingham (foundation) and Manchester (biomed)..... Can someone offer some guidance please?

I have exactly the same GCSE's as you lol.
    apart from the last c grade.

ReputationRep:
    thanks ally312 and beth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taunt)
    I have exactly the same GCSE's as you lol.
    apart from the last c grade.
    if you don't mind, where are you applying to with what sort of academic background? (obviously same GCSE's :P)

ReputationRep:
    if you don't mind, where are you applying to with what sort of academic background? (obviously same GCSE's :P)

well same gcse's as u lol
    ABBB for my AS.
    and AAA predictions
    a really bad, awful UKCAT: embarrased to say, lets just say its in the late 500's.:p:D

so ukcat has really limited me to where i can apply.
    I've decided upon soton BM6 defo lol.

ReputationRep:
    thanks ally312 and beth
    Any time

ReputationRep:
    taunt, sounds like you have everything planned my on the otherhand There is 5 days until deadline and I still haven't sent off my application yet School is still doing my reference (and they said it'll be ready for Wednesday ) and even then i'm still stuck on choices I want to pick one 5 year course and 3 foundation courses. With my situation i'm most likely to get an offer from a foundation course but I've been told by teachers to still try the 5 year course..... I'm really in two minds between Keele or Leeds Keele have told me they would accept me with my predicted of AAB but with Leeds its AAA unless I can do well in the A2L? Ah so lost and so little time left

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobnot)
    Nottingham won't except you on the foundation degree, because you get an immediate rejection if you meet their GCSE requirements for their A100 course, which is six A's and you have 8 including your A*. Instead I would try UEA's foundation medicine and I think they require BBB at A2, or another A100 5 year course as they are less competitive than all of the foundation ones.

Hope this helps a little
    I have 2 A * at GCSE and 5 A's and I am still applying for Nottingham as I have experienced disadvantages since my GCSE's 2 years ago. The GCSE requirements are not that clear on the prospectus so they can not be that important. My a level predictions are AAC.

ReputationRep:
    Guys I have make a massive decision tonight:

To put it briefly, at the moment I am working 55 hours a week (2 jobs)..I get up at 6am and I don't get home until 7pm everyday except Sundays. I am an entire module behind in my distant learning Chemistry than the college, I also am way behind on my practicals due to my operations and starting a new job ect..

I am also trying to pretty much retake Biology and AS Chemistry and I just can't cope mentally or physically with the work load at the moment (being type 1 diabetic and severely anemic), I am getting depressed, don't see my friends any more, my relationship is suffering and I am becoming a person I really don't want to be (it doesn't help that I REALLY dislike both my jobs!) I am also dealing with rather difficult family issues at the moment relating to the health of my mum..

I can't do the following:
    1) Work under 45 hours per week as I have to financially look after myself and help my mum as she is off work at the moment
    2) I cannot carry on like this. I am 19 years old and I am very, very unhappy with my life... I think I have pushed myself too far this year (doesn't help that I am royally ****e at Chemistry)

Seeing as even with A2 Chemistry, this year I would only be able to apply to Soton and Nottingham and in all honesty as difficult as it is to admit, I am not in the right state to tackle such a demanding career at the moment. I think my health has a significant affect on my life i.e. complete lack of energy, constant high and low sugar levels due to stress and very suppressed immune system..

BTW these are not excuses! If any of you guys knew me in person and how hard I have fought to get to where I am now and for Medicine you would understand how difficult this decision was to make and I genuinely feel like a failure..

Because of these reasons I have put a hold on Medicine. I am applying to study Nursing this year where my body is more likely to cope with the course. I have an interest in Nursing also and I am rather happy that I have finally made a decision that has probably saved me from breaking down this year..

I have my life ahead of me and who knows, maybe in the future I will be physically ready for Medicine and return back to it, but for the moment, my life is leading me towards a new (less stressful) path..

I am going to keep an eye on this thread throughout the application process and make sure you guys are all ok and see who gets in ect.. I wish all of you all the luck in the world with Medicine and our paths may meet again in the future (plus I'm applying to do Nursing at Southampton so maybe sooner rather than later )

For all of those who don't understand how I have "given up" like this - I have not given up, I have just found another path to take and as I said before, if you knew me personally you would understand..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xcoral23)

To put it briefly, at the moment I am working 55 hours a week (2 jobs)..I get up at 6am and I don't get home until 7pm everyday except Sundays. I am an entire module behind in my distant learning Chemistry than the college, I also am way behind on my practicals due to my operations and starting a new job ect..

I am also trying to pretty much retake Biology and AS Chemistry and I just can't cope mentally or physically with the work load at the moment (being type 1 diabetic and severely anemic), I am getting depressed, don't see my friends any more, my relationship is suffering and I am becoming a person I really don't want to be (it doesn't help that I REALLY dislike both my jobs!) I am also dealing with rather difficult family issues at the moment relating to the health of my mum..

1) Work under 45 hours per week as I have to financially look after myself and help my mum as she is off work at the moment
    2) I cannot carry on like this. I am 19 years old and I am very, very unhappy with my life... I think I have pushed myself too far this year (doesn't help that I am royally ****e at Chemistry)

Seeing as even with A2 Chemistry, this year I would only be able to apply to Soton and Nottingham and in all honesty as difficult as it is to admit, I am not in the right state to tackle such a demanding career at the moment. I think my health has a significant affect on my life i.e. complete lack of energy, constant high and low sugar levels due to stress and very suppressed immune system..

BTW these are not excuses! If any of you guys knew me in person and how hard I have fought to get to where I am now and for Medicine you would understand how difficult this decision was to make and I genuinely feel like a failure..

Because of these reasons I have put a hold on Medicine. I am applying to study Nursing this year where my body is more likely to cope with the course. I have an interest in Nursing also and I am rather happy that I have finally made a decision that has probably saved me from breaking down this year..

I have my life ahead of me and who knows, maybe in the future I will be physically ready for Medicine and return back to it, but for the moment, my life is leading me towards a new (less stressful) path..

I am going to keep an eye on this thread throughout the application process and make sure you guys are all ok and see who gets in ect.. I wish all of you all the luck in the world with Medicine and our paths may meet again in the future (plus I'm applying to do Nursing at Southampton so maybe sooner rather than later )

For all of those who don't understand how I have "given up" like this - I have not given up, I have just found another path to take and as I said before, if you knew me personally you would understand..

HI
    I am really sorry about all the things you are having to go through, however Im glad you are content with your decision.
    If you feel happy and your gut instinct tell you that you are doing the right thing, then all the best you're only 19, youve got a longggggg life ahead of you-you prolly already know all of this lol
    but good luck with the nursing application and dont worry, Im sure nobody thinks uve given up
    take care xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 786girl)
    HI
    I am really sorry about all the things you are having to go through, however Im glad you are content with your decision.
    If you feel happy and your gut instinct tell you that you are doing the right thing, then all the best you're only 19, youve got a longggggg life ahead of you-you prolly already know all of this lol
    but good luck with the nursing application and dont worry, Im sure nobody thinks uve given up
    take care xxx
    I'm actually getting pretty emotional about it (a few tears)..

I am not 100% happy as I know if I wasn't ill and things at home were settled that I could be a doctor and do what I've always wanted but sometimes in life things happen for a reason and as you said, I have got so much time to turn back to Medicine if I wish too later on in my life perhaps when my life is more settled...

Thank you for the support and being understanding..

I will be stalking this page and will still be abusing people don't worry about that

You too xx
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

I'm sorry to hear that, but at least you are aiming for what you feel you can cope with. I really do wish you the best of luck and let us know how everything goes! I may sound naive, but I know how you feel and we're all here to support each other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobnot)
    I'm sorry to hear that, but at least you are aiming for what you feel you can cope with. I really do wish you the best of luck and let us know how everything goes! I may sound naive, but I know how you feel and we're all here to support each other
    A quality doctors should have:
    - Know your limitations and be prepared to act upon these

I guess that's just what I'm doing really. If the time isn't right, it isn't right...

I can always fight another day, just not at the moment.

In my opinion better to come to terms with it now than to have applied and maybe gotten in and not being able to cope with the course - that would have by far destroyed me more...

Again, thank you for the support - you guys are lovely! I will defiantly keep you all informed and good luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    thanks ally312 and beth
    you're welcome

ReputationRep:

I'm sorry to hear all this... and I don't think you've given up, these circumstances are way out your control, and I'm glad to see you're trying to do what's best for you.

Good luck with whatever happens next, and hopefully it all turns out for the best. And remember we're right here if you need us xx

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    taunt, sounds like you have everything planned my on the otherhand There is 5 days until deadline and I still haven't sent off my application yet School is still doing my reference (and they said it'll be ready for Wednesday ) and even then i'm still stuck on choices I want to pick one 5 year course and 3 foundation courses. With my situation i'm most likely to get an offer from a foundation course but I've been told by teachers to still try the 5 year course..... I'm really in two minds between Keele or Leeds Keele have told me they would accept me with my predicted of AAB but with Leeds its AAA unless I can do well in the A2L? Ah so lost and so little time left

Honestly mate, dont worry.

and if ur wanting any advice..no? (well your goingt o get some anyway lol):p:D

I reckon if keele have told you that you could apply to them with AAB. and u know leeds are wanting AAA, then seriously whats there to think about, just go for it and apply to keele. if your worried about that, and think that they'r just lieing or something, then well just apply for A2L, I perosnally agree with your school though, you should apply to atleast 2 of 5 year med. because foundation years have very limited places and you need solid reasons, which u have, so yh go for it apply to soton BM6 and some other foundation one. but also apply to a 5yr one too, and I know its very difficult to decide but just write a pos/neg list on each uni you are considering and then add up all the pos's and neg's and go from there mate.

and honestly dont worry, most of us are in exacly the same boat. so just relax and enjoy the ride

and sorry for the long essay, my fingers are getting tired.

ReputationRep:
    Applied

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ll94)
    Applied
    Good Luck when did you send off your application?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 29, 2012

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.