The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mashalli
hello,
i am planning to take a gap year and apply. i got bbb and as b aswell. wht are my chances of getting in? is my grades 2 low? has anyone on a gap year with these grades got in?>

If im applying to mediicne and biomedicine, will biomedicine mind it being aimed at medicine?

Hello, as far as I am aware there are applicants starting the BM6 course in October with the aforementioned A’Level grades. Provided you meet the minimum requirements grades aren’t really an issue when applying for such courses i.e. Medicine with the additional year.

There shouldn’t be any problem whatsoever applying for biomedicine with a P.S. aimed specifically at medicine :smile:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by carl_senior
Guess who didnt get into medical school.....
Looks like I'm applying to soton again!

I am sorry to hear that you missed the requirements for Leeds :frown:.

;o I remember you from the previous BM6 thread. So where do you intend to apply to for 2012 entry?
Reply 82
Original post by Okada
Hello, as far as I am aware there are applicants starting the BM6 course in October with the aforementioned A’Level grades. Provided you meet the minimum requirements grades aren’t really an issue when applying for such courses i.e. Medicine with the additional year.

There shouldn’t be any problem whatsoever applying for biomedicine with a P.S. aimed specifically at medicine :smile:.

oh ok...any examples of amazing personal statements? i am abit stuck on it? and i am going to be on gap year so how do i include that? are you doing medicine. If i send my application earlier than the deadline, can you hear from them sooner or do they wait until they get all applications?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Okada
I am sorry to hear that you missed the requirements for Leeds :frown:.

;o I remember you from the previous BM6 thread. So where do you intend to apply to for 2012 entry?

Well I got ABB but the A needed to be in Chemistry and I only got a B :frown:

I'm applying to Leeds, UEA and Soton for Medicine. Bradford for Clinical Sciences and one undecided.
All you lurkers may remember me from last years BM6 thread, well back I am reapplying because I am clearly rubbish at chemistry exams... but really, got AABb ... and a D so missed the offer from soton but of course it means I can kinda give advice on the application process, just don't expect me to send you my PS because I'm reusing that! :wink:

anyway, hey everyone!

melissa x
Reply 85
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be applying for BM6 for 2012 entry. Does anyone know what Soton's policy is on retakes???

Reply 86
Heyy my name is Jess :smile:
Going to southampton to start the BM6 course in september!
I am more than willing to help anyone with any questions :smile:
Good luck! x
Reply 87
Original post by tobnot
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be applying for BM6 for 2012 entry. Does anyone know what Soton's policy is on retakes???

I dont think they mind retakes. I resat a lot of my exams during the 2 years of Alevels and I still got a place! So i wouldnt worry about that :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by popsiclee67
All you lurkers may remember me from last years BM6 thread, well back I am reapplying because I am clearly rubbish at chemistry exams... but really, got AABb ... and a D so missed the offer from soton but of course it means I can kinda give advice on the application process, just don't expect me to send you my PS because I'm reusing that! :wink:

anyway, hey everyone!

melissa x

Hey r u retaking some of your chemistry exams in ur gap year? Is bm6 ok with that for u to do a-level outside the 2years?
h
oh ok...any examples of amazing personal statements? i am abit stuck on it? and i am going to be on gap year so how do i include that? are you doing medicine. If i send my application earlier than the deadline, can you hear from them sooner or do they wait until they get all applications?

On the first point I can only recommend that you scour TSR for advice on writing, and viewing example personal statements (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement_Library).

In regards to the gap year issue I think that perhaps you should elucidate on your plans for the year, and what you hope oto gain from the year. As someone has previously mentioned the ‘key’ thing with writing a P.S. is the ability to ‘reflect on one’s experiences’ i.e. what have you learnt/developed from your various experiences -, also be sure to write in a concise manner as you’re limited to 4000 characters.

As far as I am aware when you send your application has no direct impact on when you hear from your chosen universities. Just be sure to send it on, or before the 15th of October.

I’ll be starting at Soton in September :biggrin:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey r u retaking some of your chemistry exams in ur gap year? Is bm6 ok with that for u to do a-level outside the 2years?
h

Soton has the following policy on retakes: "3.12 Retake Policy
All qualifications must be taken at one sitting for all programmes. Applicants who have retaken one A level and/or one GCSE (or equivalent) will be considered as if they had achieved the appropriate grade at the first sitting. Applicants retaking more than one A level or GCSE will be considered provided there were exceptional circumstances related to the first sitting. If accepted, the offer would be the same as the standard offer for the appropriate programme."

Source: Selection Procedure & Policy for the School of Medicine 2011 entry
(Link: http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/undergrad/course/bm5/downloads/)
Well I got ABB but the A needed to be in Chemistry and I only got a B :frown:

I'm applying to Leeds, UEA and Soton for Medicine. Bradford for Clinical Sciences and one undecided.

Do you intend to apply for the six year courses at both UEA and Soton?
Reply 92
Guess who didnt get into medical school.....
Looks like I'm applying to soton again!

Aww man, Sorry to hear this! Are you retaking the Chemistry or not?

Well done on your results though :smile:

I failed mine, but that was inevitable due to my health last year so I've got a very busy year ahead!

Good luck, keep us all updated
Reply 93
Original post by BethaneyJ
x

'The Application: References
Wednesday, October 1st, 2008
MAKE FRIENDS WITH YOUR TUTORS! Their references are quite important, especially when you’ve had some time off with a chest infection, otherwise your attendance will be “satisfactory” and your university will be told that you are “working on it”.

Not happy.'

Sorry, I've been reading through your blog and came across this statement.

Last year my attendance at college was shocking. I had/have chronic tonsillitis which would last 2/3 weeks every time I had it which amounted to about 10-12 times last year.

My tutor spent the entire time telling me I can't cope with the course and I just kept trying. I basically studied AS Chemistry, AS + A2 fast-track Biology by myself at home last year whilst being ill.

I'm having my tonsils removed next week so my health should be much better this year coming. I failed my exams last year and this year due to my age I have to financially support myself so I've had to get a full time job. I am going to also be studying at home during any time off including A2 + AS Bio resits, AS Chem resits and A2 Chemistry.

I recieved an email from my tutor after telling him my plans that he is basically going to write on my reference that my attendance is rubbish and that my health will mean I cant do Medicine. He also said that I should just aim for a different career and basically give up.

After spending 4 years at college (2 for 2 other courses) and studying as hard as I did last year and being prepared to do all this this year, seriously, he thinks i'm going to just give up now. I wrote a vary harsh email back explaining to him that if everyone concentrated on the negative things about themselves everyone would be jobless and no one would get anywhere. I think a good medical student/doctor should be hard working, determined, prepared to not give up even when faced with difficult challenges/situations. If anything I would say that all this would make me a stronger applicant. But no. If I get rejected because of this I will not be happy.

It's so frustrating being told you can't do something, I feel disheartened and worthless at the moment. grrrrrrr.

Anyway, back to reading your blog. :smile:
Reply 94
has anyone done their ukcat?
Would people mind putting their ukcat scores and what they got for GCSE?
I am really nervous about taking the UKCAT!!
Reply 95

What subject was your D? Only issue would be if this was in one of the required subjects. As long as you meet the minimum requirement it doesn't matter. And your GCSE's sound just fine. Don't worry!

BCCD is not flunked or really bad! Not at all! Especially if it's BM6 you are hoping to apply for. Most people on the course have the minimum required although some have extremely high. It doesn't matter :biggrin:

They do indeed look for people who have not really had the best chance to do the best they can and have the potential to be great doctors so you're right on track, as long as you're getting work experience if you can. Your grades have not affected your chances at all. Also, remember uni's will only loook at your final grade, not your modules!

These rumours are rubbish. Some people get on it and are lazy, and then they fail and get kicked out. It's not easy, it's a fair amount of work (nothing like when you start the 5 year once you pass, but still). Just ignore these people.

www.bethaney.co.uk/blog - should have both my personal statements on there. I think the one you want (newer) is on page 2 (click older posts at the bottom).

It's a 3 day week and it goes a lil something like this:

Tuesday - Human structure and function (HSF) lectures all morning (this is biology stuff) ( 9 - 1 )
Professional practice (PP) all afternoon (this is sociology, psychology, how to be a good doctor etc). ( 2 - 4)
Wednes - Morning only - alternates between PP lectures and placement.

Thursday - same as monday except PP is statistics.

There is no difference in doing a foundation course like BM6 as it is just a year at the start and then you join the BM5 intake (so I did BM6 2010/11 and will now join BM5 2011-2016). Unless you mention it when applying for a job they won't know, and even if they do they shouldn't care. There are much bigger things to judge you on by then haha!!!

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

P.s there are some UKCAT tips on the blog somewhere too in case you were looking for any!

Hey beth:biggrin:
hey!
I was wondering what southampton BM6 programme do about accommodation? where the course is only a couple of days a week- do we still get a place in halls?
And also, im going to be living out! so is it a nice area and are the people friendly? im going to go see it on october open day booked!:biggrin:
Original post by Honey:)
hey!
I was wondering what southampton BM6 programme do about accommodation? where the course is only a couple of days a week- do we still get a place in halls?
And also, im going to be living out! so is it a nice area and are the people friendly? im going to go see it on october open day booked!:biggrin:

It's a really nice area, and everyone who puts it as a firm choice gets priority of accommodation, :smile:

h

I'm not really doing a gap year in my eyes, more an extra year aha. Going back to college for it as I'm picking up an extra a-level as an insurance (if I don't make med, I may be doing english! ha) but obviously this won't count towards my offer. Anyway yeah retaking the A2 exams - my AS ones are all B's! :frown: x

Original post by Tinsleyj1
Heyy my name is Jess :smile:
Going to southampton to start the BM6 course in september!
I am more than willing to help anyone with any questions :smile:
Good luck! x

^ ask her anything, she's lovely! :wink: aha - melissa x
I'm applying for Southampton BM6 course too!:smile: I really hope I am accepted, Seems like such a great uni!
Original post by tobnot
Hi everyone,

It simple terms you can resit within the 2 years as they only look at final/predicted grades. Outside the 2 years you can only really retake 1 without them asking questions. This would some something personal to your situation I reckon so speak to admissions.

xcoral23
x

Don't worry too much. I don't think they hold tutor references too high in esteem for BM6, especially when they are saying you shouldn't do medicine. They hate it when they hear colleges are telling people not to do medicine! Could work in your favour. Haha hope you're enjoying my tonnes of waffle!! :biggrin:

has anyone done their ukcat?
Would people mind putting their ukcat scores and what they got for GCSE?
I am really nervous about taking the UKCAT!!

Don't worry about the UKCAT. BM6 need you to take it but they don't look at the scores in any way.

My GCSES were A's and B's and my UKCAT I did well but, again, even Soton BM5 only discard the lowest 25% of scores and then don't use it more. It's not important here :biggrin:

hello,
i am planning to take a gap year and apply. i got bbb and as b aswell. wht are my chances of getting in? is my grades 2 low? has anyone on a gap year with these grades got in?>

If im applying to mediicne and biomedicine, will biomedicine mind it being aimed at medicine?

As has been said, your BBB is fine as long as you meet the minimum requirements it does not matter :biggrin:

Yep gap year students get in with those grades. Biomed courses don't mind medicine applicants as has been already said. :biggrin:

Original post by Honey:)
hey!

As we're freshers for 2 years (Bm6 then BM5) you get halls for 2 years :biggrin: Woo! Everyone is luffffly <3

bethaney.co.uk/blog has a lot of information on it. (Not trying to sell my blog honest just saves me from repeating myself).

Good luck with UKCATs and things :biggrin:
Reply 99

Don't worry too much. I don't think they hold tutor references too high in esteem for BM6, especially when they are saying you shouldn't do medicine. They hate it when they hear colleges are telling people not to do medicine! Could work in your favour. Haha hope you're enjoying my tonnes of waffle!! :biggrin:

bethaney.co.uk/blog has a lot of information on it. (Not trying to sell my blog honest just saves me from repeating myself).

Good luck with UKCATs and things :biggrin:

Hopefully not. I sent him a very sharp email back, he is ok about it all now. He also said I was the most detemined person he has ever met (without being big headed that's alot of people he teaches ect - a nice compliment) :smile:

It was very helpful actually. Not much waffle in it. I found most of the stuff you posted was really helpful. I was also going to ask if I can use you (in a manner of speaking) :colone: just for help with my personal statement. Im only studying distant learning at college so they said that I will have to complete my personal statement by myself. Please could I get some advice from you once I have completed my first draft? :colondollar:

I have my UKCAT on saturday.. I am very, very nervous!

Quick Reply