The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
hey,
Do they less favour students who take a gap year or apply during a gap year as oppose to students who are applying during their a-levels!
anyone did or doing biology edexcel a2 coursework? when it says concept or context led-does one mean you can do a report without doing an experiment or for this coursework do you have to do an experiement either way...what if you are a private candidate?
Original post by xcoral23
Hopefully not. I sent him a very sharp email back, he is ok about it all now. He also said I was the most detemined person he has ever met (without being big headed that's alot of people he teaches ect - a nice compliment) :smile:

It was very helpful actually. Not much waffle in it. I found most of the stuff you posted was really helpful. I was also going to ask if I can use you (in a manner of speaking) :colone: just for help with my personal statement. Im only studying distant learning at college so they said that I will have to complete my personal statement by myself. Please could I get some advice from you once I have completed my first draft? :colondollar:

I have my UKCAT on saturday.. I am very, very nervous!

Yep feel free to send it over! :biggrin:

Don't worry about the UKCAT! BM6 doesn't use it! And seriously, do a little practice, learn some themes of the abstract reasoning test and you'll be fine.

Original post by mashalli
hey,
Do they less favour students who take a gap year or apply during a gap year as oppose to students who are applying during their a-levels!
anyone did or doing biology edexcel a2 coursework? when it says concept or context led-does one mean you can do a report without doing an experiment or for this coursework do you have to do an experiement either way...what if you are a private candidate?

No. But if a gap year makes you a better person, you'll be a better candidate....
Reply 102
Original post by BethaneyJ
Yep feel free to send it over! :biggrin:

Don't worry about the UKCAT! BM6 doesn't use it! And seriously, do a little practice, learn some themes of the abstract reasoning test and you'll be fine.

No. But if a gap year makes you a better person, you'll be a better candidate....

Thank you so much. It's not ready yet but when it is.. :colone:

I know I shouldn't worry because they don't use it. But when you're told not to worry, you tend to worry more lol :/ :redface: well I do anyway.

& I couldn't agree more about the gap year statement. I'm on a gap year now, and have alot planned that in my opinion, will make me a better candidate and will give me alot to talk about + alot of experience. I know fees have gone up, but I'm rather excited about what the year ahead holds for me AND sometimes you need to be in a situation where you have time and less stresses to realise what you really want and whether you are making the right decision. Don't get me wrong I admire the A-level students jumping straight into medicine, just some of them have no life or real work experience and a few of them have the completely wrong attitude (then again most of them really deserve it!).

There really isn't a rush. Universities are not going to all of a sudden stop teaching Medicine. Embrace life and the chances you are given.

If you don't mind me asking, your PS said that when you applied you were a 'mature student' can I ask how old you were when you applied/started the course? Sorry if I'm being personal.. I know it's rude to ask someones age :colone:
Thank you so much. It's not ready yet but when it is.. :colone:

I know I shouldn't worry because they don't use it. But when you're told not to worry, you tend to worry more lol :/ :redface: well I do anyway.

& I couldn't agree more about the gap year statement. I'm on a gap year now, and have alot planned that in my opinion, will make me a better candidate and will give me alot to talk about + alot of experience. I know fees have gone up, but I'm rather excited about what the year ahead holds for me AND sometimes you need to be in a situation where you have time and less stresses to realise what you really want and whether you are making the right decision. Don't get me wrong I admire the A-level students jumping straight into medicine, just some of them have no life or real work experience and a few of them have the completely wrong attitude (then again most of them really deserve it!).

There really isn't a rush. Universities are not going to all of a sudden stop teaching Medicine. Embrace life and the chances you are given.

If you don't mind me asking, your PS said that when you applied you were a 'mature student' can I ask how old you were when you applied/started the course? Sorry if I'm being personal.. I know it's rude to ask someones age :colone:

Haha awwh no! Would it help if I told you to worry???

Agree completely with what you've said about some a level students who go straight into medicine. Some have very little knowledge of the world and have some very extreme beliefs on things that are in my opinion very wrong because they've not had the experience to understand the situations.

Haha well a mature student is someone over 21 when they start. I applied at 20, but turned 21 before my interview etc and was 21 when I started. (Am now 22 *sob*). Technically a mature student. I got to go to the mature student open morning though and eat free muffins and drink free coffee. Good times.
Reply 104
Haha awwh no! Would it help if I told you to worry???

Agree completely with what you've said about some a level students who go straight into medicine. Some have very little knowledge of the world and have some very extreme beliefs on things that are in my opinion very wrong because they've not had the experience to understand the situations.

Haha well a mature student is someone over 21 when they start. I applied at 20, but turned 21 before my interview etc and was 21 when I started. (Am now 22 *sob*). Technically a mature student. I got to go to the mature student open morning though and eat free muffins and drink free coffee. Good times.

I would consider your opinion about not to worry lol, but chances are I probably will still. I rebooked it I'm that nervous ha! :colondollar:

Yeah, but there is no telling them is there. It's their life, they have to make their own choices and mistakes - I've made my fair few.

What date did youn start? Ohh, Ohh, Ohh - I might be a mature student then :u:
I'm 20 in October *sob* so may class as a mature student. I was going to write about my experiences because I'm that bit older, but I didn't wanna sound like a complete boob writing that when I'm not a 'mature student' lol

ha, I bet the muffins were good :cool:
I would consider your opinion about not to worry lol, but chances are I probably will still. I rebooked it I'm that nervous ha! :colondollar:

Yeah, but there is no telling them is there. It's their life, they have to make their own choices and mistakes - I've made my fair few.

What date did youn start? Ohh, Ohh, Ohh - I might be a mature student then :u:
I'm 20 in October *sob* so may class as a mature student. I was going to write about my experiences because I'm that bit older, but I didn't wanna sound like a complete boob writing that when I'm not a 'mature student' lol

ha, I bet the muffins were good :cool:

Haha well I term starts 3rd of October I think this year and 1st last year.

It's usually if you'll be aged 21 or over by 1 October in the year in which you hope to come to uni. So as I was 21 in December 2009, when I started uni in September 2010 I was a mature student!
This may seem like a stupid question but it's one that worries me. When you join the BM5 group after doing your foundation year, do the students of the BM5 'look down on you' and do the tutors regard you as a worse student and think of you as stupid?
Reply 107
Haha well I term starts 3rd of October I think this year and 1st last year.

It's usually if you'll be aged 21 or over by 1 October in the year in which you hope to come to uni. So as I was 21 in December 2009, when I started uni in September 2010 I was a mature student!

I still think I'm a mature student. lol. I'll be 21 on the 23rd October 2012. So only just remain a young'en lol

I wonder if you were actually 'mature' or just old :P only joking! :smile:

Original post by oliviaw1677
This may seem like a stupid question but it's one that worries me. When you join the BM5 group after doing your foundation year, do the students of the BM5 'look down on you' and do the tutors regard you as a worse student and think of you as stupid?

Stuff what anyone else thinks. If you've worked just as hard getting there, why should anyone judge you differently. The course is designed for people who have a really tough time and to widen the access. Those students selected are selected for a good reason, because the admissions team think they have the potential to make good doctors.

It isn't for people that are 'stupid' or incapable. It's for those who deserve a chance.

Rise above it and think about the positives -
1) extra year to settle in
2) more time to get to know the staff that will be teaching you for the next 6 years
3) more time to get used to the course
4) more time to make friends with people who will be with you for 6 years

:smile:

It's horrible, but yes. At the open day I met a few BM5's telling prospective students it was a course for special people. I'm particularly worried for those starting this year as not only will they be BM6, but they'll continue to pay lower tuition fees whereas their BM5 class will be on the higher fees.

But as xcoral has said, there benefits outweigh being thought of as stupid. Especially when the BM6 class tend to outstrip the rest of the year in the 3rd year exams which are extremely important. Where you rank among your year in that year determines the sort of job you'll get at the end, and BM6 students have already had similar exams in their foundation year so yeh, they do better.

There are 4 ways I have seen people deal with it:

a) Don't tell anyone you're BM6. They won't know, and most of them won't care anyway.

b) Just ignore it and then kick ass later.

c) Try to explain it to the ignorant ones. Those that are bothered by it usually just don't understand it's not got lower entry requirements because the students are stupid. And there are other requirements, and a million different reasons why someone would chose to do it. A lot of the BM6ers have the same or better grades than the BM5 anyway.

d) - My favourite - Use it as an excuse when you get something wrong or don't understand. "Well what do you expect, I'm BM6!".

At the end of the day, it's only in your first year that people might take issue with it. Beyond that they'll see you're more than deserving of your place. And those that don't will most likely fail bedside manners. If you can't be nice to our peers how do you expect to function in a hospital!

I still think I'm a mature student. lol. I'll be 21 on the 23rd October 2012. So only just remain a young'en lol

Well you'll be a mature BM5 :smile: Haha well I don't think I'm THAT old. xD
Reply 109
It's horrible, but yes. At the open day I met a few BM5's telling prospective students it was a course for special people. I'm particularly worried for those starting this year as not only will they be BM6, but they'll continue to pay lower tuition fees whereas their BM5 class will be on the higher fees.

But as xcoral has said, there benefits outweigh being thought of as stupid. Especially when the BM6 class tend to outstrip the rest of the year in the 3rd year exams which are extremely important. Where you rank among your year in that year determines the sort of job you'll get at the end, and BM6 students have already had similar exams in their foundation year so yeh, they do better.

a) Don't tell anyone you're BM6. They won't know, and most of them won't care anyway.

c) Try to explain it to the ignorant ones. Those that are bothered by it usually just don't understand it's not got lower entry requirements because the students are stupid. And there are other requirements, and a million different reasons why someone would chose to do it. A lot of the BM6ers have the same or better grades than the BM5 anyway.

d) - My favourite - Use it as an excuse when you get something wrong or don't understand. "Well what do you expect, I'm BM6!".

At the end of the day, it's only in your first year that people might take issue with it. Beyond that they'll see you're more than deserving of your place. And those that don't will most likely fail bedside manners. If you can't be nice to our peers how do you expect to function in a hospital!

I agree about the BM5 years. I think it's just something that you have to deal with really, as long as you know you are capable to do the course you will be fine.

I prefer being a mature student. Having had more life experience ect, makes me feel like I'm abit special :biggrin:

Haha, no your not 'THAT' old. :colone:
Reply 110
Hi, I was just wondering if meeting less or more of the criteria for widening access (i.e first generation) will play any part in the selection process? :smile:
Reply 111

Wow ! thank you for all your help ! I am also wanting to aply for BM6

I want to ask, how are the many applications cored ?

Is it simply, personal statement + UKCAT + reference = interview = offer ( depending on how well the interview goes )

Also is the admissions like if a candidate is ore disadvantaged then they will be given more preference or simply you meet the criteria ( I think 2 from the top of my head ) then everyone is treated equally. ( much like achieving the minimum requirements )

Thank you for your help !
Original post by LTTP
Hi, I was just wondering if meeting less or more of the criteria for widening access (i.e first generation) will play any part in the selection process? :smile:

As far as I was aware when I applied you only needed to meet two and any more than that is fine but it doesn't give you an advantage? Might be wrong but that's what I thought! x
Original post by LTTP

Nope, just meet the minimum, otherwise you'd be saying that someone who fit more of the criteria had a harder time, but the criteria aren't exclusive in saying how difficult someone has found life/school etc etc.

Although if you meet lots it may seem unfair, you have to think if the uni wanted more than 2 criteria to be met, they'd ask for it :biggrin:

Good Luck!

Original post by SRK.
Wow ! thank you for all your help ! I am also wanting to aply for BM6

I want to ask, how are the many applications cored ?

Is it simply, personal statement + UKCAT + reference = interview = offer ( depending on how well the interview goes )

Also is the admissions like if a candidate is ore disadvantaged then they will be given more preference or simply you meet the criteria ( I think 2 from the top of my head ) then everyone is treated equally. ( much like achieving the minimum requirements )

Thank you for your help !

No worries!!

It is done by a ranking system scoring out of 30. The personal statements get scored out of 15, and then interviews are offered to the highest scorers, then the next highest and so on until all interview spots are allocated.

At interview you're scored again out of 15. Your total is looked at and those with perfect or near perfect scores get early offers (Early March) then the next top scorers get offers at the end of March. This totals around 45 offers. I imagine this is where the references are considered.

The UKCAt is required for BM6 but not used at all.

As far as I know, meeting the minimum requirements is all you need and no difference is drawn afterwards. After applying, you'll get a letter asking you to prove your status as meeting the requirements. After you post this back, if they accept your proofs (nothing too tricky) then you're considered for interview.

Hope this helps, good luck!!

Original post by popsiclee67
As far as I was aware when I applied you only needed to meet two and any more than that is fine but it doesn't give you an advantage? Might be wrong but that's what I thought! x

This is what the admissions people were kind of saying, so I agree with this. Especially as meeting 4 criteria may not affect some people as much as meeting 2 e.t.c, and they're the same with grades (BCC is not better or worse than AAAA) so yeh! Go team!

Anyway, keep the questions coming if you have any and good luck!!
Reply 114
Nope, just meet the minimum, otherwise you'd be saying that someone who fit more of the criteria had a harder time, but the criteria aren't exclusive in saying how difficult someone has found life/school etc etc.

Although if you meet lots it may seem unfair, you have to think if the uni wanted more than 2 criteria to be met, they'd ask for it :biggrin:

Good Luck!

No worries!!

It is done by a ranking system scoring out of 30. The personal statements get scored out of 15, and then interviews are offered to the highest scorers, then the next highest and so on until all interview spots are allocated.

At interview you're scored again out of 15. Your total is looked at and those with perfect or near perfect scores get early offers (Early March) then the next top scorers get offers at the end of March. This totals around 45 offers. I imagine this is where the references are considered.

The UKCAt is required for BM6 but not used at all.

As far as I know, meeting the minimum requirements is all you need and no difference is drawn afterwards. After applying, you'll get a letter asking you to prove your status as meeting the requirements. After you post this back, if they accept your proofs (nothing too tricky) then you're considered for interview.

Hope this helps, good luck!!

This is what the admissions people were kind of saying, so I agree with this. Especially as meeting 4 criteria may not affect some people as much as meeting 2 e.t.c, and they're the same with grades (BCC is not better or worse than AAAA) so yeh! Go team!

Anyway, keep the questions coming if you have any and good luck!!

Hey again :smile:

What questions were you asked at your interview? How did you respond?

Stuff what anyone else thinks. If you've worked just as hard getting there, why should anyone judge you differently. The course is designed for people who have a really tough time and to widen the access. Those students selected are selected for a good reason, because the admissions team think they have the potential to make good doctors.

It isn't for people that are 'stupid' or incapable. It's for those who deserve a chance.

Rise above it and think about the positives -
1) extra year to settle in
2) more time to get to know the staff that will be teaching you for the next 6 years
3) more time to get used to the course
4) more time to make friends with people who will be with you for 6 years

Haha thanks that's really true! Really inspired me to go for it even more! Your comment made me smile!
Thanks
I think there are 30 places overall on the BM6 isnt there? Does anyone know approximately how many applicants there are? More or less than the BM5?
Reply 117
is there a list of things our referee have to cover? Is there a sort of tick sheet our refereee could follow?
By the way who are our referees? our subject teachers or tutor or head of year if we are applying during the gap year?
Hey again :smile:

What questions were you asked at your interview? How did you respond?

Standard interview questions. Answers are a bit personal and you don't need or want them, it'll only conflict with your own! But then again I don't remember most of the interview. I can tell you about it in general and how I prepared:

http://bethaney.co.uk/blog/?p=165

http://bethaney.co.uk/blog/?p=303

It will be standard questions which vary depending on who you get. You won't hear about interview until December earliest, so not something you should be worrying too much about yet :smile:

Original post by mashalli
is there a list of things our referee have to cover? Is there a sort of tick sheet our refereee could follow?
By the way who are our referees? our subject teachers or tutor or head of year if we are applying during the gap year?

It's a standard reference so your tutors should know what to put in there. Your reference should come from someone who knows you personally I believe so whoever knows you best. AAIK there aren't rules for this and the teachers should know what to do.

I think there are 30 places overall on the BM6 isnt there? Does anyone know approximately how many applicants there are? More or less than the BM5?

Yep, 30 places but if more than 30 meet their offers then everyone gets a place (we have 33 for example).

More applicants per place than BM5:

BM4 = 24 apps per place
BM5 = 14
BM6 = 19
(edited 12 years ago)
do they favour people from less privelidged backgrounds?

I want to do the BM6 and my family are not exactly well off we recently moved home out of a very very deprived area and i go to a grammar school (not a very good one at that) so will i have a good chance of getting in?

I also have a C in english language at GCSE which is the reason I can't apply to the BM5 course

Quick Reply