Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know you guys have a ton of work an' all but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say when I say, I WISH IT WAS MEEEEEEE TOOOOOOOO!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BethaneyJ)
    Tonne of work? Pah! I did my portfolio after christmas (though a friend did it the weekend before it was due, stayed up 2 nights in a row and got a better A than I did >.>) and then revised the lot for exams in a week/10 days after the presentations. It wasn't fun but totally doable. I got 3 A's in the exams too!

We've got to learn the entire anatomy of bones and muscles on top of a load of other crap. To be honest I've been cheating on medicine and perving at other courses. Did you know that English students have 6 contact hours a week? I have that every day 5 days a week!! *sigh*
    but does that not assume that you actually kept up with the work/consolidated knowledge etc. during the term, so revision was easy....

I kinda haven't done that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    but does that not assume that you actually kept up with the work/consolidated knowledge etc. during the term, so revision was easy....

I kinda haven't done that
    Nope. Just did the homework etc as it came up and wasn't behind on anything like essays. I did nothing really to learn stuff as I went along. In fact when it got to revision I had missed most of the lectures on neurology and had to learn it all from scratch, same with digestion. I really did nothing and was freaking out that I was going to fail as only had 10 days before the exam.

That said I did absolutely no PP revision until the day in between HSF and PP! Ooooh yeahhhh. I am absolutely NOT recommending you do that however, and if you're not consolidating your knowledge as you go now then you have to start next year or you'll struggle.

That said, you've got ages to learn it so don't be worrying. And DO GO to the revision lectures. SOOOO many accidental hints on what is coming up it's insane.

ReputationRep:
    I hate waiting.

Nothing against my friends who work at restaurants... but like, waiting for the reply from my application.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering whether any BM6 studens could fill this out? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...edical_Student. It is a page where you can find out how life as a med student is on a weekly basis. I know it is long and abit of effort but would be sooooo usefull because I would love to know more . Plus, I would like to see how the other days of the week are used or should be , seeing as you the course is not structered over 5 days. Thank youuuuu =D

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Just did the homework etc as it came up and wasn't behind on anything like essays. I did nothing really to learn stuff as I went along. In fact when it got to revision I had missed most of the lectures on neurology and had to learn it all from scratch, same with digestion. I really did nothing and was freaking out that I was going to fail as only had 10 days before the exam.

That said I did absolutely no PP revision until the day in between HSF and PP! Ooooh yeahhhh. I am absolutely NOT recommending you do that however, and if you're not consolidating your knowledge as you go now then you have to start next year or you'll struggle.

That said, you've got ages to learn it so don't be worrying. And DO GO to the revision lectures. SOOOO many accidental hints on what is coming up it's insane.
    hey Bethaney. i understand that you are currently studying this course. I am wondering whether you would kindly share some info about the course structure, the support system available, how it differs from 5 year course and good & bad aspects of this course.

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sumsum123)
    I was wondering whether any BM6 studens could fill this out? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...edical_Student. It is a page where you can find out how life as a med student is on a weekly basis. I know it is long and abit of effort but would be sooooo usefull because I would love to know more . Plus, I would like to see how the other days of the week are used or should be , seeing as you the course is not structered over 5 days. Thank youuuuu =D
    I'll get onto it soon but basically is as follows:

Mon - off
    Tues - 9 - 5 of lectures
    Weds - Alternates between 9 -1 of placement and 9 - 1 of lectures
    Thursday - 9 - 5 lectures.
    Fri - off

The days off are to be used however you need them. Coursework is quite prominent in BM6 so there is usually something that you could do, but you won't be spending all your days off working for uni. Lots of people get a job etc.

(Original post by Tausif)
    hey Bethaney. i understand that you are currently studying this course. I am wondering whether you would kindly share some info about the course structure, the support system available, how it differs from 5 year course and good & bad aspects of this course.

thanks in advance
    I have completed BM6 and have now started the 5 year course.

The course is divided into 2 semesters with 2 units that run through the year. In both semesters you'll have Human structure and function and professional practice. You'll have coursework and exams for both of these. HSF is biology and PP is sociology and psychology. The support is great. You have 2 main lecturers who are there for support but you also get a personal tutor and a pastoral tutor who you can go to about anything. The uni also has counselling and independent advice for careers etc. The pastoral tutor (Tessa) is marvellous and you really can go to her with any issue ever and she'll have heard it before and help you through it. Carolyn and Sally (main lecturers) are also amazing and are so wise on all things life-related. So there is loads of support. There is also loads of financial support when things get tough and bursaries and grants available too.

It is very different from BM5. BM5 has fewer pieces of coursework, but there are lectures 9 -5 every day except wednesday and there is a lot less teaching as such. BM6 is slower and they teach you thoroughly, BM5 is all about how much they can squeeze into 45 minutes! There are little workshops and group study in BM5, and also a lot more anatomy. You have patient interaction in BM5, none in BM6 (placement is about watching the professionals, not talking to patients.). Don't forget though, at the end of BM6 you start BM5 so you'll end up doing both!

Good aspects:
    Short week, great support, great lecturers, amazing friends to be made, small classes

Bad aspects:
    Don't feel nearly as prepared for BM5 as I'd like to have been as they're too different for me!, they don't get you started on anatomy as you'll be too far ahead of the BM5s but it would have been really useful, you miss it when it's gone.

Note to current BM6ers or future BM6ers:

Use your free BM6 time to start learning some anatomy!

ReputationRep:
    x
    You updated your blog!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medican)
    You updated your blog!
    :O I did! loads more coming, be prepared!

ReputationRep:
    :O I did! loads more coming, be prepared!
    Hi Just had a look at the reading list, and you're right about it looking scary. The books are pretty expensive, but are they used a lot? As in, like at school where you take it to a lesson/lecture? Or is just to use for coursework, etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sumsum123)
    you have mondays and fridays off.....use them to sleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ally312)
    Hi Just had a look at the reading list, and you're right about it looking scary. The books are pretty expensive, but are they used a lot? As in, like at school where you take it to a lesson/lecture? Or is just to use for coursework, etc?
    hahahaha, you never really take your books into lectures....

but all you need to get are the recommended texts, not the other additional ones...

so marieb, the psychology one, biochem one and thats about it really....

you can usually get them off the ex-BM6ers.....

ReputationRep:
    It should be explained at the top of the post. Most people just buy Marieb as the others are rubbish or not used bmuch or only useful for a single topic/coursework piece. Beth Alder book is pretty good too, other than that I wouldn't buy anything else. Even a BNF, they give you one next year!

ReputationRep:
    hahahaha, you never really take your books into lectures....

but all you need to get are the recommended texts, not the other additional ones...

so marieb, the psychology one, biochem one and thats about it really....

you can usually get them off the ex-BM6ers.....

It should be explained at the top of the post. Most people just buy Marieb as the others are rubbish or not used bmuch or only useful for a single topic/coursework piece. Beth Alder book is pretty good too, other than that I wouldn't buy anything else. Even a BNF, they give you one next year!
    Ahh, okay. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'll get onto it soon but basically is as follows:

Mon - off
    Tues - 9 - 5 of lectures
    Weds - Alternates between 9 -1 of placement and 9 - 1 of lectures
    Thursday - 9 - 5 lectures.
    Fri - off

The days off are to be used however you need them. Coursework is quite prominent in BM6 so there is usually something that you could do, but you won't be spending all your days off working for uni. Lots of people get a job etc.

I have completed BM6 and have now started the 5 year course.

The course is divided into 2 semesters with 2 units that run through the year. In both semesters you'll have Human structure and function and professional practice. You'll have coursework and exams for both of these. HSF is biology and PP is sociology and psychology. The support is great. You have 2 main lecturers who are there for support but you also get a personal tutor and a pastoral tutor who you can go to about anything. The uni also has counselling and independent advice for careers etc. The pastoral tutor (Tessa) is marvellous and you really can go to her with any issue ever and she'll have heard it before and help you through it. Carolyn and Sally (main lecturers) are also amazing and are so wise on all things life-related. So there is loads of support. There is also loads of financial support when things get tough and bursaries and grants available too.

It is very different from BM5. BM5 has fewer pieces of coursework, but there are lectures 9 -5 every day except wednesday and there is a lot less teaching as such. BM6 is slower and they teach you thoroughly, BM5 is all about how much they can squeeze into 45 minutes! There are little workshops and group study in BM5, and also a lot more anatomy. You have patient interaction in BM5, none in BM6 (placement is about watching the professionals, not talking to patients.). Don't forget though, at the end of BM6 you start BM5 so you'll end up doing both!

Good aspects:
    Short week, great support, great lecturers, amazing friends to be made, small classes

Bad aspects:
    Don't feel nearly as prepared for BM5 as I'd like to have been as they're too different for me!, they don't get you started on anatomy as you'll be too far ahead of the BM5s but it would have been really useful, you miss it when it's gone.

Note to current BM6ers or future BM6ers:

Use your free BM6 time to start learning some anatomy!
    thanks for your reply.

this question may have been asked many times but would be able to shed some light on what time we can expect to hear from them regarding interview or rejection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tausif)
    thanks for your reply.

this question may have been asked many times but would be able to shed some light on what time we can expect to hear from them regarding interview or rejection?
    well....from last year...

interviews happen from early jan to mid march.....

you'll get a rejection/further consideration letter within 3 weeks of the interview

early offers go out mid feb (only 3 went out for our year)

everyone else gets offers at the end of march

as such, it doesn't matter when you get an interview....as a girl on our course was the last person to be interviewed on the last day....

then, unless you have an early offer....you'll get ranked and the top 40 get offers

ReputationRep:
    So theres 30 places around 800 applicants i think might be wrong which means theres a 1/26 chance

how many people do they interview just wanna know what the chances are if you get an interview i hope I'm that lucky

and cheers for answering all questions i suppose its a nice break from all the studying lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishy555)
    So theres 30 places around 800 applicants i think might be wrong which means theres a 1/26 chance

how many people do they interview just wanna know what the chances are if you get an interview i hope I'm that lucky

and cheers for answering all questions i suppose its a nice break from all the studying lol
    yep....

they interview everyone who gets above the interview cut off I think

ReputationRep:
    yep....

they interview everyone who gets above the interview cut off I think (?)
    :confused:
    Sorry, it might be me being thick, but I don't get what you mean

ReputationRep:
    :confused:
    Sorry, it might be me being thick, but I don't get what you mean
    the admission gives a score to your personal statement and reference. they then choose a cut off score which means anybody below that particular score is eliminated from the process. Applicants above the cut off score will then be chosen for interview.

Cut off score depends upon factors such as how strong the application pool is, how many plp admission wants to interview etc.

As far as I know from reading last year's thread, they do not take into account UKCAT score.

hope it's clear now

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.