The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by epicnerd
do they favour people from less privelidged backgrounds?

I want to do the BM6 and my family are not exactly well off we recently moved home out of a very very deprived area and i go to a grammar school (not a very good one at that) so will i have a good chance of getting in?

I also have a C in english language at GCSE which is the reason I can't apply to the BM5 course

The entrance requirements for the BM6 require non-academic attributes, too - 2 from the following:

First generation applicant to higher education

Parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit

Looked after young people living in supported accommodation

In receipt of an EMA (Education Maintenance Award) or similar grant

Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

:smile:
do they favour people from less privelidged backgrounds?

I want to do the BM6 and my family are not exactly well off we recently moved home out of a very very deprived area and i go to a grammar school (not a very good one at that) so will i have a good chance of getting in?

I also have a C in english language at GCSE which is the reason I can't apply to the BM5 course

There is no preference to someone who meets more than the minimum requirements unfortunately. This is because they believe the minimum requirements are enough to have impacted your application to standard medicine and from there they look for potential.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

There are a few med schools which accept a C in English. If your A levels are high enough it might be worth applying to those if that is the only reason you're applying to BM6. More applicants for place for BM6 than the standard courses and it uses up a choice on UCAS.

But if you have your own personal reasons for applying, like you would like the 3 day timetable so you can have a job or something like that, then go for it. Especially if you meet the (slightly tricky) criteria!

Good luck!!
Reply 122
Original post by BethaneyJ
Standard interview questions. Answers are a bit personal and you don't need or want them, it'll only conflict with your own! But then again I don't remember most of the interview. I can tell you about it in general and how I prepared:

http://bethaney.co.uk/blog/?p=165

http://bethaney.co.uk/blog/?p=303

It will be standard questions which vary depending on who you get. You won't hear about interview until December earliest, so not something you should be worrying too much about yet :smile:

Yep, 30 places but if more than 30 meet their offers then everyone gets a place (we have 33 for example).

More applicants per place than BM5:

BM4 = 24 apps per place
BM5 = 14
BM6 = 19

Sorry, I meant to say when you responded, how did you respond e.g. we're you stuttering/keep saying 'like' or anything like that? I didn't mean the answers to what you said as obviously it would contradict mine. I'm only asking because when I'm nervous I have a tendancy to mumble and talk about crap lol

Thanks for the link! :smile:

This makes me sad. Everytime I see that figure I feel like my chances slip away. I would be so gutted if I got rejected again this year! :cry2:
Original post by xcoral23
Sorry, I meant to say when you responded, how did you respond e.g. we're you stuttering/keep saying 'like' or anything like that? I didn't mean the answers to what you said as obviously it would contradict mine. I'm only asking because when I'm nervous I have a tendancy to mumble and talk about crap lol

Thanks for the link! :smile:

This makes me sad. Everytime I see that figure I feel like my chances slip away. I would be so gutted if I got rejected again this year! :cry2:

Oh sorry!! Er... I was a bit shaky and kept saying "sort of" but the adrenaline kept things going haha!!

When you see the statistics that even though many people don't get in, of those that get rejected, one person gets a place. Why shouldn't that person be you? :biggrin:
Reply 124
Oh sorry!! Er... I was a bit shaky and kept saying "sort of" but the adrenaline kept things going haha!!

When you see the statistics that even though many people don't get in, of those that get rejected, one person gets a place. Why shouldn't that person be you? :biggrin:

Haha, it's ok, I should have worded it better :redface: hopefully my adrenaline will kick in then :smile:

Perhaps, still it's difficult to sell yourself on a piece of paper really. It would be nice if I had an interview this year though - apparently according to the news there is going to be a large decline in University applications from now on due to the increase in fees. I, however, believe that there will be an increase or equivalent in applications for degrees that offer good careers at the end e.g. nursing, medicine, sciences, computing/technology, aerospace things like that.

Could swing either way really :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 125
Is there a thread somewhere for the BM5 course? I can't seem to find it if there is :s-smilie: thanks!
Original post by Erotas
Is there a thread somewhere for the BM5 course? I can't seem to find it if there is :s-smilie: thanks!

I can't find one either, but there are the generic medicine threads. I'm about to start BM5 and recently did an open day so could answer at least some of your questions, and for the ones I can't I can find out someone who can.

Failing that, start one of your own and let me know so I can lurk :P
Reply 127
I can't find one either, but there are the generic medicine threads. I'm about to start BM5 and recently did an open day so could answer at least some of your questions, and for the ones I can't I can find out someone who can.

Failing that, start one of your own and let me know so I can lurk :P

Heyy I didn't neg you :L but thank you so much! Don't think I'm the person to start the thread since I'm not sure I definitely want to go to Southampton yet.
Just wondering because they don't interview would you say they are more of a ukcat heavy university? Because I have a really good ukcat and lots of w/e. So just generally was looking for advice as to what Southampton look at most when selecting candidates. Any help much appreciated!
Original post by Erotas
Heyy I didn't neg you :L but thank you so much! Don't think I'm the person to start the thread since I'm not sure I definitely want to go to Southampton yet.
Just wondering because they don't interview would you say they are more of a ukcat heavy university? Because I have a really good ukcat and lots of w/e. So just generally was looking for advice as to what Southampton look at most when selecting candidates. Any help much appreciated!

How bizarre! I wonder if maybe someone misclicked as I don't see anythin particularly neggable! Didn't think it was you anyway! :biggrin:

That's fair enough if you don't want to start one, I probably wouldn't in your situation!!

They are not a UKCAT heavy uni at all. For BM5 they take UKCAT scores and discount the lowest 25% of scorers but after that it is very personal statement heavy. They look for work experience and reflective writing in the PS, so explaining how your experiences make you a better person to be a doctor. They want people who have learned from experiences and have the potential to expand into the role of a doctor, not someone who is inflexible and rigid in their views despite experiences.

Soton also don't look at AS level results, only predicted and final.

Because they don't interview they have quite a lot of applicants per place as opposed to other universities. But this means lots of people apply without the best personal statement, which gives those with a great PS a much better chance to stand out. If you're applying to Soton (which you should because it's blatantly the best haha) then it's all about the PS.

Edit:

Found out a subscriber who saw I'd negged him negged me back because he is a sore loser. Oh well :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 129
Hey, so do they interview all BM6 applicants (those who have passed the personal statement)? or is it like BM5 where they interview only a few selected candidates?
Original post by tobnot
Hey, so do they interview all BM6 applicants (those who have passed the personal statement)? or is it like BM5 where they interview only a few selected candidates?

They interview everyone who progresses through the personal statement part yeh, you can't get onto BM6 without an interview. :smile:
Reply 131
going to be applying to this :smile:

Do they mark the personal statement + work experience only or reference aswell?

Any idea how they mark the personal statement, for e.g. things we should include
Original post by xXA786DXx

Any idea how they mark the personal statement, for e.g. things we should include

Well good luck!!

I imagine they'll use it all when judging the PS, though I've never directly asked admissions.

They're looking for reflective writing so showing you've gone out and got experiences and you've learned or changed in some way as a result, and will make a better doctor. It shouldn't be a list of things you've done, nor a list of things you plan to do, but more a snapshot into the how you became the person you are now and how this means you'll be a kick ass doctor :smile:

There are a few of us BM6ers (old and new) on here so do check back if you've got any more questions :smile:
Reply 133

Well good luck!!

I imagine they'll use it all when judging the PS, though I've never directly asked admissions.

They're looking for reflective writing so showing you've gone out and got experiences and you've learned or changed in some way as a result, and will make a better doctor. It shouldn't be a list of things you've done, nor a list of things you plan to do, but more a snapshot into the how you became the person you are now and how this means you'll be a kick ass doctor :smile:

There are a few of us BM6ers (old and new) on here so do check back if you've got any more questions :smile:

thanks for the info. also very interesting blog
Reply 134
my as levels are bbbc (c in chem 1 ums from b!). Have students on bm6 got similar as grades too mine, because my friend's friend (lol) got 4 a's and got accepted, so i believe I wont have a chance!
There is no preference to someone who meets more than the minimum requirements unfortunately. This is because they believe the minimum requirements are enough to have impacted your application to standard medicine and from there they look for potential.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

There are a few med schools which accept a C in English. If your A levels are high enough it might be worth applying to those if that is the only reason you're applying to BM6. More applicants for place for BM6 than the standard courses and it uses up a choice on UCAS.

But if you have your own personal reasons for applying, like you would like the 3 day timetable so you can have a job or something like that, then go for it. Especially if you meet the (slightly tricky) criteria!

Good luck!!

Thanks and with some of those they say nothing. Cambridge for example, do they care about GCSE's much or do they focus on A-levels?

I am thinking of retaking and do they have rules on GCSE retakes or only on A-level retakes? That C just looks so ugly and I hate it. I am thinking of retaking with a different exam board so they don't see it as a retake. I may also get a remark-(I will see if I am eligible for a remark on Wednesday. I will remark if it is 3 or less marks away from B.
Original post by LTTP
my as levels are bbbc (c in chem 1 ums from b!). Have students on bm6 got similar as grades too mine, because my friend's friend (lol) got 4 a's and got accepted, so i believe I wont have a chance!

My year (2010/11) has people ranging from CCC (our requirements) to AAAA. As long as you have the minimum requirements you're considered equally among everyone else. BCC is the requirements and you've managed more than that so you're just as likely as AAAA to get a place. If they wanted AAAA they'd ask for it. And if someone is getting AAAA they're more likely to be asked at interview - why are you coming here and not to the BM5?? Unless they have a good reason they'll not be very impressed. So do not fear! You'll be just fine! Good luck!!

P.s who is your friend? ^_^

P.p.s If you go back a page or so and read through some posts, this and lots of other questions are answered, might be helpful :smile:

Thanks and with some of those they say nothing. Cambridge for example, do they care about GCSE's much or do they focus on A-levels?

I am thinking of retaking and do they have rules on GCSE retakes or only on A-level retakes? That C just looks so ugly and I hate it. I am thinking of retaking with a different exam board so they don't see it as a retake. I may also get a remark-(I will see if I am eligible for a remark on Wednesday. I will remark if it is 3 or less marks away from B.

I think if it is blank then they don't have a requirement for English:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/medicine/requirements.html#gcse

This just stipulates Cambridge only requires C or above in Maths and double science (or Bio and Phys) and there is no English requirement.

It might be held against you at uni's that loooove the ol' GCSE's but as long as it is not a requirement and the rest of your grades (particularly predicted grades) are good.... *shrug* This would be something to look into at each university you apply to. Check what they think.

I don't know much about remarks but can look into it later today if you can't find any info, TSR is bound to have a thread somewhere about it!

Edit:

Ok, got bored:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1417579

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1204789

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1658988

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

Hope this helps!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 137
Original post by xXA786DXx

Welcome! :smile:
Reply 138
This is probably a silly question, because I've read on here about people reapplying to BM6, but if you do have to reapply the following year, does anyone think the admissions tutors treat your application differently to people who haven't previously applied? Especially if you're using a roughly similar personal statement!

Thank you in advance! :smile:
Original post by tobnot
This is probably a silly question, because I've read on here about people reapplying to BM6, but if you do have to reapply the following year, does anyone think the admissions tutors treat your application differently to people who haven't previously applied? Especially if you're using a roughly similar personal statement!

Thank you in advance! :smile:

As far as I know they won't look at your previous application, can't imagine they'll have the time. They will be interested to see what you've done in the year out though :smile:

There weren't a particularly noticeable ratio of repplicants to BM6/first time bm6 applicants

Quick Reply

Latest