Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Really angry with my ukcat score; hope it doesn't affect my application too much.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a cut-off point for the UKCAT?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by xXA786DXx)
    Really angry with my ukcat score; hope it doesn't affect my application too much.
    What score did you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobnot)
    What score did you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrettyLittleLiars)
    The UKCAT must be taken for BM6, however it is not used in the application process.

I believe for BM5 yes, there is a cut-off point

That isn't bad! I read last year that someone got accepted with 560 average so there is still a chance.

Where are you planning on applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BethaneyJ)
    x
    I'm so annoyed! Emailed UEA to see if I could get in with the grades I've got/are predicted.

Because there is a mixture e.g. BTEC + A2 Law in 2010 (Distinction, Distinction, C) and then in 2012 I'll have A2 Biology + Chemistry.

They told me I wouldn't get in unless I re-took my A2 Law. I thought the whole point in widening the access was to help those with non-traditional grades and from different backgrounds have a chance! :mad:

Sorry just needed to vent some frustration. Even if I get A's in Bio + Chem this year I can still only apply to Southampton :heart: (not that I have a problem with that because I love it )

It's just concerning putting all my hopes and dreams into one University application especially when I have the equivalent of AAC already in science subjects then this year should get (AAC) + AA/BB in Bio + Chem. I feel like really disheartened and abit shocked.

ReputationRep:
    roughly how many students will be applying this year, do you think? (numbers please)

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of applying this year, I am just wondering, from what I can see, everything is the same as the 5 year course apart from the extra year and you qualify as a doctor in exactly the same way? can someone please correct me if I'm wrong? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ll94)
    I am thinking of applying this year, I am just wondering, from what I can see, everything is the same as the 5 year course apart from the extra year and you qualify as a doctor in exactly the same way? can someone please correct me if I'm wrong? Thanks.
    BM6 is called year 0, so it's a year before BM5. It's exactly the same as BM5 because you join the new BM5 year (So I did BM6 2010/11 and I'm now joining BM5 2011). Yep you qualify the same way because you do the same course. This is different from others like Kings where you stay a separate class through out your 6 years.

(Original post by mashalli)
    roughly how many students will be applying this year, do you think? (numbers please)
    19 applicants per place roughly, but this goes up each year, so probaby around 700 applicants I guess.

(Original post by xcoral23)
    I'm so annoyed! Emailed UEA to see if I could get in with the grades I've got/are predicted.

Because there is a mixture e.g. BTEC + A2 Law in 2010 (Distinction, Distinction, C) and then in 2012 I'll have A2 Biology + Chemistry.

They told me I wouldn't get in unless I re-took my A2 Law. I thought the whole point in widening the access was to help those with non-traditional grades and from different backgrounds have a chance! :mad:

Sorry just needed to vent some frustration. Even if I get A's in Bio + Chem this year I can still only apply to Southampton :heart: (not that I have a problem with that because I love it )

It's just concerning putting all my hopes and dreams into one University application especially when I have the equivalent of AAC already in science subjects then this year should get (AAC) + AA/BB in Bio + Chem. I feel like really disheartened and abit shocked.
    Is it because UEA want you to take them all together? It's just to make sure that you can handle the huge workload by doing lots of a levels at once. Don't be upset!! I didn't like UEA anyway personally.

(Original post by PrettyLittleLiars)
    UKCAT isn't used for BM6 at all so you're safe with Soton. They're not even sure what the UKCAT shows yet. Just research where you're applying and you'll be fine

The UKCAT must be taken for BM6, however it is not used in the application process.

I believe for BM5 yes, there is a cut-off point

That isn't bad! I read last year that someone got accepted with 560 average so there is still a chance.

Where are you planning on applying?

BM5 discard the lowest 25% of scores but there isn't a cut off so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    oh my god! 700 applicants? how can you strengthen your application? I am worried now?!

ReputationRep:
    BM6 is called year 0, so it's a year before BM5. It's exactly the same as BM5 because you join the new BM5 year (So I did BM6 2010/11 and I'm now joining BM5 2011). Yep you qualify the same way because you do the same course. This is different from others like Kings where you stay a separate class through out your 6 years.
    thats great to know thanks did you enjoy your first year? and what sort of things did you do if you dont mind me asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ll94)
    thats great to know thanks did you enjoy your first year? and what sort of things did you do if you dont mind me asking
    Not at all! I loved it. It's not as medical as I wanted but then it's understandable. Not a lot of practicals, and observation only placements but still. You do 2 topics, professional practice - which is placement, how to be a good doctor, NHS structure, ethics, media and medicine, etc.

Then you get human structure and function which is the biology, so neurology, digestion, cardiac system, endocrine system, to name a few. It's a lot more than A level (in fact it's just bits of the follow years syllabus) and can be difficult, but it's good

There is some anatomy practicals, and a few sessions where you get to play with stethoscopes but nothin too intense.

There are a lot of statistics too.

It's timetabled over 3 days a week, and you get assessed in both exams and essays/portfolios (lots of essays and stats pieces and a diary of placement).

Hope this helps a bit!!

Let me know if you want me to keep going!!!

oh my god! 700 applicants? how can you strengthen your application? I am worried now?!
    Make sure that your PS is amazing, and reflective (so what you learned, how your experiences changed you etc). A little on what you're planning to do between your application but keep to a minimum.

Remember a lot of people won't meet the criteria, won't have the grades predicted, will have a bad personal statement, and then of those interviewed, a lot will eventually show themselves to only be applying as a back up for the grades.

Although lots of people don't get in, 30 people have to. As I keep saying, why shouldn't it be you? If you meet the criteria and want it and work for it, there is no reason why you couldn't be one of the lucky ones!

ReputationRep:
    Not at all! I loved it. It's not as medical as I wanted but then it's understandable. Not a lot of practicals, and observation only placements but still. You do 2 topics, professional practice - which is placement, how to be a good doctor, NHS structure, ethics, media and medicine, etc.

Then you get human structure and function which is the biology, so neurology, digestion, cardiac system, endocrine system, to name a few. It's a lot more than A level (in fact it's just bits of the follow years syllabus) and can be difficult, but it's good

There is some anatomy practicals, and a few sessions where you get to play with stethoscopes but nothin too intense.

It's timetabled over 3 days a week, and you get assessed in both exams and essays/portfolios (lots of essays and stats pieces and a diary of placement).

Hope this helps a bit!!

sounds awesome! The 3 days a week for the first year really appeals me so I'll have the chance to work and save up a bit of money. The statistics I'm not too great at haha

ReputationRep:

Hope this helps a bit!!

Make sure that your PS is amazing, and reflective (so what you learned, how your experiences changed you etc). A little on what you're planning to do between your application but keep to a minimum.

Remember a lot of people won't meet the criteria, won't have the grades predicted, will have a bad personal statement, and then of those interviewed, a lot will eventually show themselves to only be applying as a back up for the grades.

Although lots of people don't get in, 30 people have to. As I keep saying, why shouldn't it be you? If you meet the criteria and want it and work for it, there is no reason why you couldn't be one of the lucky ones!
    what do you mean by a little bit of what you will do between your application? I am on a gap year so how much of the ps be on the gap year part, can i put things i did last year on my ps-work experiences i did last year? how long did it take you to write,draft and make final copy of your personal statement?

ReputationRep:

There are other universities that offer similar courses to the six-year schemes at Southampton and UEA .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ll94)
    sounds awesome! The 3 days a week for the first year really appeals me so I'll have the chance to work and save up a bit of money. The statistics I'm not too great at haha
    Haha don't worry. It's all pretty straight forward and simple and you get a lot of tutoring of you want it

Yep, that is the idea of the 3 day week! One of the reasons a lot of people like to do this course (it's really not just the grades!!).

what do you mean by a little bit of what you will do between your application? I am on a gap year so how much of the ps be on the gap year part, can i put things i did last year on my ps-work experiences i did last year? how long did it take you to write,draft and make final copy of your personal statement?
    Sorry, I meant what you plan to do between writing your application and (hopefully) your interview. People have a tendency to write a lot about what they want to do but not what they have done. So by all means include it if you have big plans but try to keep it to things you HAVE done.

Yep, any work experience as long as it is relevant, especially if the experiences had an impact that still affects you today.

I wrote mine over about a month and had input from my old college tutor and a few friends/relatives.

ReputationRep:
    Haha don't worry. It's all pretty straight forward and simple and you get a lot of tutoring of you want it

Yep, that is the idea of the 3 day week! One of the reasons a lot of people like to do this course (it's really not just the grades!!).

Sorry, I meant what you plan to do between writing your application and (hopefully) your interview. People have a tendency to write a lot about what they want to do but not what they have done. So by all means include it if you have big plans but try to keep it to things you HAVE done.

Yep, any work experience as long as it is relevant, especially if the experiences had an impact that still affects you today.

I wrote mine over about a month and had input from my old college tutor and a few friends/relatives.
    ok thank you for your input

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone who could help me with my personal statement? I have written it but it's 1000 words over the limit.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and do Southampton do a full cadaver dissections!?!??!

ReputationRep:
    Is it because UEA want you to take them all together? It's just to make sure that you can handle the huge workload by doing lots of a levels at once. Don't be upset!! I didn't like UEA anyway personally.
    No, I was studying 3 A-level equivalent when I was at my old college so it's not that. I think it was because they don't accept my BTEC even with my 3 A2 levels alongside (5 A2 equiv) which is really stupid!

It didn't really appeal to me that much, but because of my grades I can't afford to be fussy. I've been so lucky being able to apply to Southampton as I adore the university and it's got the perfect course!

I wouldn't know how to react if I got accepted this year. Words couldn't possibly describe it. I have worked so hard to get to where I am now, I know others have aswell and I think it's amazing how people cope with situations. The mountains I've had to climb and the problems I've faced have been horrible.

(Original post by Okada)
    There are other universities that offer similar courses to the six-year schemes at Southampton and UEA .
    I know, trust me. I emailed EVERY single Medical School in the UK about the courses they offer and whether they would accept my grades/mixture of qualifications.

Unfortunatly Southampton and Leicester are now the only two Medical Schools that will consider my application. Leicester are asking for AAA and realistically, especially after they changed the selections process I have got no chance because of my GCSE's.

I think I genuinly would benefit from doing the 6 year course anyway as I need to get a job inbetween my studies and the smoother transaction from a full time job back into studying would make it easier. Not only that but i've had so much going on this last year that although I've been studying I almost feel like I havn't benefited from it as much as a standard student. That may sound stupid but I know what I mean.

Thanks for the heads up though Where are you applying?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.