Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Did a search of the forum, didn't find anything.

I've now seen several food programs/books where i've seen gold leaf as decoration.

Now, although i wish i had enough money to spend on such extravagencies (such is uni life...) i'm wondering if any of you have had been more fortunate.

what have your experiences been? Does it *actually* add anything?

Or, in general, what do you guys think of having gold on your food? =P
    (In Micheal Roux Jnr's service, my thoughts were kinda summed up in: "can i keep it?)

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt actually have any taste at all. Its simply there for aesthetic purposes, kind of like food coloring. Of course, some may claim that it makes the dish taste better, but then again its just the fact that the gold flakes increases the expectations of one's perceptions, hence making one believe the dish tastes better with the gold than without...

The first time you do sort of admire it a bit, but afterwards the novelty diminishes and soon it just becomes unnecessary and unappreciated, its a sign that the chef's abilities arent up to scratch so he/she relies on the gold to compensate for the flaws in the dish itself.

If youre thinking you can collect it and sell it, well you would have to eat A LOT of gold flake decorated dishes...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.