Turn on thread page Beta

two best degrees for me...cant decide need advice watch

Announcements
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rozzr)
    Get a degree, do the one with economics in the name - sounds better than straight mgmt. You will end up doing nearly the same modules anyway.
    Actually business economics is very different to straight economics, you won't end up doing identical modules.

ReputationRep:
    A spring week (in 1st year of uni) + summer internship (in 2nd year of uni) is worth far, far more than 3 years doing grunt work at a Big 4 firm when it comes to getting onto an IB grad scheme.

Also, it's bloody hard to get onto a Big 4 school leavers scheme so it's not an easy route at all!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Actually business economics is very different to straight economics, you won't end up doing identical modules.
    I know that and thanks for confirming...... but the courses we are talking about in this thread (which are 'management' and 'management economics') will be fairly similar and you could chose to do the same sort of modules over the 3 years.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rozzr)
    I know that and thanks for confirming...... but the courses we are talking about in this thread (which are 'management' and 'management economics') will be fairly similar and you could chose to do the same sort of modules over the 3 years.
    Sorry that's my fault, I thought you mean't straight economics. Yep you were right the courses will be identical.

ReputationRep:
    It is massively obvious that David is doing or has done the ACA and just wants to flatter himself.

Big 4 does not guarantee big salaries, for the hours you do and the work/people you have to put up with - probably not worth it.
    Also ACA does not mean you will get FO IB - usually middle office. The ones that do make it over probably could have gone straight from uni.
    Dont get pressured into the ACA because some clown says you have to on the internet. Go to uni, enjoy life and network...you never know what you will want to do 3-4 years down the line...but if you want IB this early, I am sure you will get it in some capacity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenford)
    thanks a lot for your help.. I think Ill doa degree then find a placement for ACA with the big 4
    Check out the EY Scholarship, it effectively gives you great paid internships at EY Advisory in London and a Bursary. Then once your degree is finished you are likely to be offered a job with them, if you choose not to take it though it's up to you and you aren't tied in to work at EY or to attend a specific university. It sounds right up your street from what I've read

I'm not sure when you start uni but the applications for 2011 entry are closed so you'd have to be 2012 entry or later.

ReputationRep:
    Glad some people have jumped on to criticise me - as you need a balanced set of views from different people to help aid decisions.

Cityboy agrees on the simple fact that for any competitive field the answer is "go to oxbridge".

In fact it only dawned on me why certain posh kids in my school were studying latin and ancient greek (whats the point of learning dead languages?) when I entered the job market - their parents had aimed them for less well subscribed Oxbridge courses.

x at Oxbridge> Economics/finance/law from any other uni for a bank/law firm job.

-

I will say this though - looks/breeding are very important. The apprentice show was great this year for IB wannabees - 3 candidates were from banks:

1. pretty blonde girl worked up from back office school leaver (employed as eye candy)
    2. Captain of rugby team AAAA a-levels alpha male
    3. Supermodel

So its great when these kind of people give advice on how easy it is to network to fellow similar candidates, how all you need to do is go to a decent uni on your parents money, enjoy life and join some clubs - but they were always going to find any career easy as they've got the right look and bags of confidence and support from home - they are the right "fit" probably with neighbour/extended family in good careers - lots of great extra-curricular stuff etc, client facing "looks".

My feeling is anyone who ends up asking questions on these forums is not in that boat and may not be that "fit".

You've got to be realistic about what you are and what your best chances are as its less about how academically good you are, and more about how well you fit compared to the competition.

I know someone at a bank who is a maths genius - who repeatedly failed interviews for jobs and internships and only got a job after completing a phd from a top 5 uni after doing a degree and masters there - it took him 8 years, god knows how much £ and working crap part time jobs whilst living with his mum.

Great way to spend your 20's!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidr123)
    Glad some people have jumped on to criticise me - as you need a balanced set of views from different people to help aid decisions.

Cityboy agrees on the simple fact that for any competitive field the answer is "go to oxbridge".

In fact it only dawned on me why certain posh kids in my school were studying latin and ancient greek (whats the point of learning dead languages?) when I entered the job market - their parents had aimed them for less well subscribed Oxbridge courses.

x at Oxbridge> Economics/finance/law from any other uni for a bank/law firm job.

-

I will say this though - looks/breeding are very important. The apprentice show was great this year for IB wannabees - 3 candidates were from banks:

1. pretty blonde girl worked up from back office school leaver (employed as eye candy)
    2. Captain of rugby team AAAA a-levels alpha male
    3. Supermodel

So its great when these kind of people give advice on how easy it is to network to fellow similar candidates, how all you need to do is go to a decent uni on your parents money, enjoy life and join some clubs - but they were always going to find any career easy as they've got the right look and bags of confidence and support from home - they are the right "fit" probably with neighbour/extended family in good careers - lots of great extra-curricular stuff etc, client facing "looks".

My feeling is anyone who ends up asking questions on these forums is not in that boat and may not be that "fit".

You've got to be realistic about what you are and what your best chances are as its less about how academically good you are, and more about how well you fit compared to the competition.

I know someone at a bank who is a maths genius - who repeatedly failed interviews for jobs and internships and only got a job after completing a phd from a top 5 uni after doing a degree and masters there - it took him 8 years, god knows how much £ and working crap part time jobs whilst living with his mum.

Great way to spend your 20's!!
    Ha - brilliant,

Basing career decisions on Apprentice candidates is probably not the wisest strategy...

I can tell you that the front office employees at my bank are far from supermodels (myself excluded obviously!).

It really is about networking - when I completed my ACA at a big4, it was very difficult to get a front office role because so many ACA's were trying to do the same thing. I dont have any family connections to banking so instead I emailed people at various banks and ultimately got a role - theres your networking...was it difficult - no.

Advising somebody to put 3 years into studying for a qualification that they dont want for the slight possibility of moving into a career they think they want to do, is bad advice.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.