Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Those who believe in the "consumer first"/keynesian doctrine of economy should take the time to consider what this economical doctrine (that is being used in countries like France for example) has produced in term of unemployement.
    If giving the money to people was the solution, all the democratic countries would have done that a long time ago. But it doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Howd you know?

We wouldn't if we sold them today according to the OBR.
    Who said we sell them today, we sell them in a couple of years time when theoretically the economy is looking good and that can let good old Osborne have a ton of Sweeteners in his budget before the 2015 Election .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Lucky)
    Who said we sell them today, we sell them in a couple of years time when theoretically the economy is looking good and that can let good old Osborne have a ton of Sweeteners in his budget before the 2015 Election .
    Why wouldn't he pay down the debt like Brown did with the 3G licence windfall?

More to the point why isn't everyone buy since the price is certain to rise before then ahead of 73% of the shared flooding back onto the market?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and any cuts they make they keep.
    im not sure what you are on about....are you agreeing that hospitals are facing cuts now?

And we didnt jump to a £160 Billion deficit in the single act of bailing out the banks.
    when did i say that? bailing out the banks was a big part. It was also to do with the soaring cost ofunemployment and businesses collpasing in the subsequent recession. (loss of tax revenue and increased welfare bill)

can you answer these one by one and say whether you agree or not because i wasnt sure from your last reply....

when did the deficit become a problem? the graph clearly shows it was 2008

Why was that? a global economic crises......... 'rooted in the financial sector' according to Mervyn king, governor of the bank of england.

Who should pay for the crisis? the people that caused it.

Who is paying for it? Virtually everyone else.

is that moral? is that logical?

Further debt and the deficit are related because the interest on the debt forms part of the deficit. do you accept that or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    Debt was 3 times as high as today in 1945? Really? Maybe something like, I don't know, WW2, had something to do with that? :lol:

Still, as you can see, it remains significant :

So WW2 is reason enough to have a huge debt, but the biggest financial crisis since isn't reason enough to have even a fraction of that? Even the Tories had a comparable deficit in the relatively tame recession of the early 90s.
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    The same figures (short term external gross debt/GDP), contrasted to the rest of the G7:
    I'm not sure what the second graph is meant to be showing. What are the percentages? Debt levels? Because Japan certainly has much more debt than that. Deficit? Because the US also has a comparable deficit level to us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    I'm not sure what the second graph is meant to be showing. What are the percentages? Debt levels? Because Japan certainly has much more debt than that.
    Not short term external debt it doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Not short term external debt it doesn't.
    My bad - didn't see the label in the text. Still, what defines short term external debt? Sounds like a euphemism for deficit to me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    My bad - didn't see the label in the text. Still, what defines short term external debt? Sounds like a euphemism for deficit to me...
    Its short term I don't understand.

External means funded by other countries.

You realise most of the UK deficit is funded by UK citizens/organisations right?

And this is public and private debt.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.