Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Just a query really.

Is trading moving in the direction of hiring specifically grads with quant backgrounds.

I understand, that not everyone on the trading floor has a technical background, hoewever, in the media the amount of articles about quant trading, high speed trading, bots etc is ever increasing.

Is the demand for non-quant backgrounds falling, I ask as I currently hold an offer for economic histoy at lse starting in sept, and whilst it is too early to tell what i want to do ultimately, it would be nice to know where the job market is headed.

From what I've gathered Banks recruit people from quant backgrounds mainly because it's the best way of seeing if graduates will be able to handle the numbers. On most desks, you will not need extensive Maths knowledge, bar the exceptions of course (e.g. Certain derivatives, Fixed Income).

Having said that, I don't think there is a lack of demand for non-quant graduates in Trading. Flow Trading focuses entirely on thinking fast and being able to deal with pressure. If you have a real interest in it and you're able to learn the financial concepts pre-interview, it should be fine.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.