The Student Room Group

How has Misratah not fallen yet?

Given how fast was the counter attack of Gaddafi forces on the way to Abdjawya and Benghazi it makes me wonder how has Misratah not fallen yet? It is in western libya in between Tripoli and Sitre: both Gaddafi strongholds... It is heavily bombarded, there are snipers in the city... Last but not least they were defending against Gaddafi for ages already? 2-3 weeks of the top of my head? Sorry for poor spelling of Libyan cities btw cba to look up on BBC. Anyone who followed news about Libya would have hopefully understood me.
Original post by Misha 938
Given how fast was the counter attack of Gaddafi forces on the way to Abdjawya and Benghazi it makes me wonder how has Misratah not fallen yet? It is in western libya in between Tripoli and Sitre: both Gaddafi strongholds... It is heavily bombarded, there are snipers in the city... Last but not least they were defending against Gaddafi for ages already? 2-3 weeks of the top of my head? Sorry for poor spelling of Libyan cities btw cba to look up on BBC. Anyone who followed news about Libya would have hopefully understood me.

It's my home town, It's quite a large city and the opposition forces there are generally pretty well armed and quite a few of them are highly skilled professional military men.

They deploy excellent tactics like letting the tanks roll into the centre while they hide all around the edges of the city, then they pounce on them take out a whole armoured convoy etc.

recently they've also had excellent backup from the coalition and most of the civilian population has moved to the coastal parts of the city which is more protected.
Reply 2
Original post by There will be Particles
It's my home town, It's quite a large city and the opposition forces there are generally pretty well armed and quite a few of them are highly skilled professional military men.

They deploy excellent tactics like letting the tanks roll into the centre while they hide all around the edges of the city, then they pounce on them take out a whole armoured convoy etc.

recently they've also had excellent backup from the coalition and most of the civilian population has moved to the coastal parts of the city which is more protected.

Are you there right now?!?
I too would like to know more about this.
How is it different from other cities? Is there like, a larger concentration of military defectors there? (As in, all rebels in that region fell back to only there, whilst in the east it was more chaotic? the terrain?)
(Never made sense to me why Gaddafi wouldn't secure his rear, and at the same time how if Misrata wasn't falling why other places were.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Id venture a guess that its one place where there is some sort of organization of the forces. The retreat of the rebels has been pretty pathetic thus far. Here's hoping that they can hold Misrata.
Original post by Misha 938
Are you there right now?!?

Nah I'm in the UK, I have lots of family there right now however.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending