Discrimination against public schools Watch

This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tnacilppa)
Yeah this would be similar to pissing in the sea. The resources would go nowhere and eventually become rundown. What you are effectively suggesting is that rich people pay for everyone's education. Which they effectively do anyway! My dad pays 40% tax on all his earnings and some of that goes to state-schools.

Why the hell should public schools be abolished and the money re-distributed. You seem really stupid. Should people who earn a lot of money have it taken away and given to poorer people? Should be all call each other Comrade?

Get a life and realise some people will always be richer than you and some poorer. The rich will have more choice. The poor will have less. This is life. I genuinely cannot believe some of your arguments. :mad:
It's stupid to call people stupid when you barely know them. I really can't believe the lack of common decency on this board sometimes. On the other board I visit, flaming gets you banned.

So what if it's pissing in the sea, it's better than nothing. What you're effectively saying is "I know it's not *really* fair, but what does it matter if a few poor people miss out, it's not like they complain."

Don't mix the progressive taxing debate up with the private sector education debate. They're not at all the same.

I don't care if people are richer than me. Quite frankly if I graduate from Cambridge then money isn't going to be my motivation in life. I care that clever people are being deprived of the resources that they deserve.

I really wish people would tackle my points, instead of calling me a communist then making assumptions about my own income.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
So why do people still pay to send their children to private schools which are academically poorer than state schools??? Social kudos??? Hmmm, seems like this could breed snobbery to me.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
MY GOD! RICH PEOPLE COULD BE SEEN AS SNOBS!! HOW PERCEPTIVE!!

:rolleyes:
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
So why not compromise and have a midway standard of education for all?
Because my parents are rich and want to give me the best education money can buy (short of Eton). They can spend their HARD EARNED money however they want.

Gosh isn't being rich beneficial? Strange that, really... :rolleyes:
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Because my parents are rich and want to give me the best education money can buy (short of Eton). They can spend their HARD EARNED money however they want.

Gosh isn't being rich beneficial? Strange that, really... :rolleyes:
This comes down to the fact that you think education should be awarded according to income, I think it should be awarded on merit. I cannot possibly argue anymore about the things we went on about yesterday. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This comes down to the fact that you think education should be awarded according to income, I think it should be awarded on merit. I cannot possibly argue anymore about the things we went on about yesterday. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.
I'm just defending the right that everyone has, in a capitalist society, to buy whatever they want, be that education, health insurance, a house, a car or whatever.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
I'm just defending the right that everyone has, in a capitalist society, to buy whatever they want, be that education, health insurance, a house, a car or whatever.
*cough* or a nuclear bomb

WHatever, you have the basic belief that income should be able to disrupt allocation by need/ability.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
*cough* or a nuclear bomb
Oh good one. Would you care to tell me just HOW I could buy a nuclear bomb?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Oh good one. Would you care to tell me just HOW I could buy a nuclear bomb?
You could spend millions on employing a top scientist to build one for you.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Compared to a nuclear bomb, private education is considerably easier to obtain, and it's also legal.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nuclear bombs are actually remarkably simple to make, I'm sure I could do one for you if you provided the nuclear materials (that is the hard bit).

Alaric.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Compared to a nuclear bomb, private education is considerably easier to obtain, and it's also legal.
Right. Okay. Agreed. But how does that undermine my point? You said "You can spend money on whatever you want." Well, actually, if you wanted to buy a nuclear bomb, you wouldn't be allowed to.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
Nuclear bombs are actually remarkably simple to make, I'm sure I could do one for you if you provided the nuclear materials (that is the hard bit).

Alaric.
I'll make sure to bring a sack of uranium with me in October.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Right. Okay. Agreed. But how does that undermine my point? You said "You can spend money on whatever you want." Well, actually, if you wanted to buy a nuclear bomb, you wouldn't be allowed to.
Hmm, you seem unable to grasp the concept of "within reason."
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Hmm, you seem unable to grasp the concept of "within reason."
And who gets to decide what within reason is? The headmaster of Eton? The truth is we don't live in a free market, we control lots of things which have externalities, as I demonstrated yesterday, cigarettes, guns, cars, alcohol. Your point that our society allows to us to spend on whatever we want is clearly flawed.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And who gets to decide what within reason is? The headmaster of Eton? The truth is we don't live in a free market, we control lots of things which have externalities, as I demonstrated yesterday, cigarettes, guns, cars, alcohol.
You just can't argue that buying a nuclear bomb comes under the phrase "we can spend our money on whatever we like". I'm sorry. It just doesn't hold.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
You just can't argue that buying a nuclear bomb comes under the phrase "we can spend our money on whatever we like". I'm sorry. It just doesn't hold.
Edit*: I think it does. A nuclear bomb is a something. But I can use a more realistic example ->

Okay, so cigarettes and alcohol, we control those don't we?
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Okay, so cigarettes and alcohol, we control those don't we?
Um, not really. As long as I can afford it, I can buy as many cigarettes and as much alcohol as I like (age permitting).
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Um, not really. As long as I can afford it, I can buy as many cigarettes and as much alcohol as I like (age permitting).
But they're taxed, alot, to cut peoples consumption of them down alot. Because as it happens most of the people who smoke or drink alot are poor, and if cigarettes are 4x more expensive than the free market prices, poor people have to cut their consumption to 25%.

Basic supply and demand.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But they're taxed, alot, to cut peoples consumption of them down alot. Because as it happens most of the people who smoke or drink alot are poor, and if cigarettes are 4x more expensive than the free market prices, poor people have to cut their consumption to 25%.

Basic supply and demand.
So only rich people can afford them. Another benefit of being rich: affordable booze and ****. Ho ho.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
So only rich people can afford them. Another benefit of being rich: affordable booze and ****. Ho ho.
Except rich people don't want them, at least they don't want so much they become drags on society. But really, where are you going with that? :P
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (244)
61.93%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.57%
No- I want it (106)
26.9%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.6%

Watched Threads